Laurent Robert, Any Opinions?

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by castanha, Apr 16, 2006.

1. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    He's great on free kicks and crosses the ball well when he has some space, but other than that, what does this guy do? I thought he was going to be comparable to Simao, but so far, I'd have to say that's not the case. Am I missing something here?

2. Cliffzinho

Cliffzinho New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Ludlow Mass.
    he's terrible with corners, better off just handing the ball to the opposing goalie, hes gotta strong freekick but hes nothing special by any means

3. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    He is french!

4. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    If only you could only combine Beto's work ethic and energy (but that's all) to Robert's skill. You'd have a great player named Laurent Robeto that could smash into players without getting cards, draw his own free kicks, and then unload his awesome shot.

As it stands, you have a lazy, slow player that can score from anywhere on the pitch if you stop time :p

5. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to leafster again.

LMAO!!!

6. Ricardinho10

Ricardinho10 New Member

Sep 11, 2005
    Joburg, South Africa
    Laurent Robert is crap i mean he is lazy and offers us nothing i can't for the life of me understand why we brought him to the club.

7. West 'am 'till I die

West 'am 'till I die BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 28, 2006
    London
    He is similar to Beckham except Becham tries hard for his team and has a great range of passing....... Robert is good at free kicks and ????

8. KhaNArTisT

KhaNArTisT New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Back in Toronto Esse

10 pts for the idea

30 pts for the name Rebeto :D

9. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    I think that just about sums it up. Good point about not drawing free kicks. It seemed too good to be true when Benfica signed him. Now we know the real story. This dog doesn't hunt.....much.

10. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    That is a friggin great analysis. What else can you say about a useless sack of shit other than it is deadweight and it stinks. And you can't forget that he's a cancer in the locker room wherever he goes.

Benfica was on a great run before the transfer window opened. Then Robert, Moretto, Manduca, and Marcel came to the team and their Liga Payoffandwin.com campaign all went to hell.

11. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Good point! Benfica’s resforços haven’t really helped the team that much. Moretto has played well, especially in some CL games. Karagounis has been OK, but he hasn’t been the #10 we were looking for. Marcel was a waste of money considering we already had Mantorras. Manduca and Ferreira are basically there just for depth. Robert was supposed to make us better, but I don’t think he has. I guess you can’t blame the Benfica management for trying, but the results weren’t that good.

12. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    The transfer window instead of helping the team it sunked it. I believe the fact Moretto was giving the starting job right out the gate has something to do with this.

Manduca is a good player, but he is not a winger he is more of a striker or a player that plays behind the striker.

When will Benfica get players for the positions that actually belong too?

13. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Benfica's January transfer window was a disaster. Moretto, although he has had some great moments, was the beginning of an unhappy locker room when he was given the starting job (and hasn't lost it since!) right out of the gate. Benfica were supposed to get a backup goalkeeper not one that would take a starting job from one who did nothing to lose it. Then they went and loaded up on left wingers when they already had Simao for that position. Sure, it looked like they were going to sell them, but, when they didn't it was waste especially with a gaping hole on the right wing. All they had was Geovanni who hasn't been anything spectactular in that position for the past two seasons. Marcel turned out to be a bust. They sent away a RB/RWM in Joao Pereira and a good LB in Dos Santos without getting reinforcements for that position. Ricardo Rocha at the left and Alcides at the right back? Now with Leo hurt and Rocha suffering knock, what's he to do? The solution: Beto?

And let's not forget the topic at hand. Robert. Sucks. Blows. Thanks for the game winner against Porto but it means nothing now. Goodbye. Good riddance.

14. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Laurent Robert and Marcel have been dissappointments. Moretto has had some great games, and has made some blunders (none of which have cost Benfica a goal though). Marco Ferreira hasn't had much of a chance to play, but he was only signed to add depth to the team anyways. Manduca I like. He has played well for the most part, and definitly gives it his all whether he starts or comes off the bench.

15. 2DRAGAO4

2DRAGAO4 Red Card

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto, Porto
    I think Robert is an unbelievable player! Benfica president is the greatest! They should buy out his contract with the money when Simao leaves... 12 million should do the trick!:cool:

16. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Might have something to do with Jose Veiga...

17. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    EPL reject. :D It's sad that his season highlight is a frango by Baia :D

18. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    I blame him also for Beto's signing!!! You know you are a dumbass when u sign that guy.

19. Ricardinho10

Ricardinho10 New Member

Sep 11, 2005
    Joburg, South Africa

Piss off you muppet !

20. 2DRAGAO4

2DRAGAO4 Red Card

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto, Porto
    Whats so bad about "Beto"? Except for that SuperKick on Sisokko which almost killed him, he has been pretty consistent throught the year...if u think about it, one of the better players on benfica..
    1.fernandes...2.Simao...& Beto, isnt that precise? I cant think of anyone better? Nuno Gomes would be right up there too!

21. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Beto+Marcel+Manduca+Koeman+Moretto=GARBAGE!!!!!! Laurent Robert is half as bad as all of them. His crosses and free kicks are NICE!!! He's the best of all the people i just named. Im not saying hes a GREAT players but people are making it seem like he's a Beto.

22. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Consistently bad....

23. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    According to the May 11, 2006 edition of "A Bola", he is on his way to Glasgow Rangers:

Robert a caminho do Glasgow Rangers

DEPOIS de Ronald Koeman, é a vez de Laurent Robert dizer adeus à Luz. O francês tinha mais três anos de contrato, mas era um dos atletas a dispensar pela SAD. Segundo apurou a BOLA, o Glasgow Rangers, da Escócia, é o seu destino, onde será treinado pelo compatriota Paul Le Guen.
    A saída de Laurent Robert da Luz era um dado praticamente adquirido e a intenção da SAD concretizou-se fácil e rapidamente devido ao interesse do Glasgow Rangers, da Escócia, terceiro classificado no campeonato e que na próxima temporada será treinado por Paul Le Guen, técnico que conhece bem as qualidades de Robert e que estava a par da situação desconfortável vivida pelo esquerdino na Luz. Fonte muito próxima do jogador garantiu a A BOLA que o negócio está feito, embora não sejam ainda conhecidos os seus contornos. Robert vai desvincular-se do Benfica após o regresso de Moçambique e assinará pelo Rangers antes mesmo de entrar de férias.

Contratação falhada

O extremo nunca se conseguiu impor na Luz e tornou-se num problema a resolver. Não só devido às críticas e assobios dos adeptos pela fraca produção em campo, mas também devido ao facto de ser um dos atletas com salário mais elevado. Havia necessidade de corrigir o erro de casting cometido no mercado de Inverno e a SAD conseguiu-o em tempo útil, provando que a próxima época está já a ser preparada, em matéria de entradas e saídas, apesar de ainda não ter sido escolhido o novo treinador.

24. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    Au Revoir!!!

25. Zezinho

Zezinho New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Mississauga, ON