2002 x 2006 - Defense

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by lpporto, Apr 9, 2006.

1. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Opening game vs. Greece, the defense was set up in the following manner:

LB Rui Jorge
    CB Couto
    CB Andrade
    RB Ferreira

Then it changed to:

LB Valente
    CB Carvalho
    CB Andrade
    RB Miguel

Had Portugal won the first game odds are that the lineup would have stayed the same. Thus ending this Rui Jorge debate.

2. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    Rui Jorge sucked in 2002 and he still sucks now!!!!

Our defense in 2002 was built of names but no legs!!!

I am sad that Andrade won't be in this WC, but we have a much better all around defense now than we did in 2002.

3. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Entire line except Andrade... I know what you're saying but P. Ferreira's error doesn't explain Rui Jorge sitting the next game (they do play on opposite sides of the field, God forbid Cacu gets replaced because Roberto Carlos starts screwing up, or vice-versa)... I am pretty sure Scolari realized he made a mistake in not starting Nuno Valente from the beginning.

4. KhaNArTisT

KhaNArTisT New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Back in Toronto Esse
    and greece would have been eliminated from the
    group stage and so on...so basically its paulo ferreira's fault we didnt win the euro. :( then again if beto was naturalized by then we would have won euro as well!

5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    What about the second game vs greece?

6. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You guys are all missing the context of the arguement.

Had Portugal won the first game, the defensive line would have remained the same.

And for the ones that just wrote "Rui Jorge Sucks" go look at the games he played in and tell me if he sucks.

You Portistas get all in a huff about nothing. No one is knocking Valente, we are just stating the obvious. And let me add this. Rui Jorge is 33 and Valente is 32 if Valente was so much better why didn't he play in 2002? Answer he wasn't shit then and evolved into a player later on in his career.

Keep in mind that Dimas was better than both of them, but he was just too old to make the team in 2002.

Next your going to tell me that 2002 Jorge Costa is better than 2004 Andrade:D

7. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Who was better then Couto in 2002?

And what do you know of Portuguese defenders...the Lampioes don't have any:D (That Start)

8. KhaNArTisT

KhaNArTisT New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Back in Toronto Esse
    his own goal was way better than andrade's!

9. KhaNArTisT

KhaNArTisT New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Back in Toronto Esse
    there wouldnt be any! we would have played the czechs and got mangled:rolleyes:

10. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    Couto wasn't as bad as J.Costa!!! He looked like he was going to collapse everygame..... His triple chin didn't lie.

The only good Sportem portuguese defender is with you guys on loan. A team that starts Polga is a team that should not make fun of anybody elses defense.

11. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Polga actually played for Brazil when they played and won WC2002 180 minutes (2 games) Luisao on the other hand played only 41 minutes in 2 games...so don't try to knock Polga he is better than any Lampiao or Tripeiro Defender...

12. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Yeah Rivaldo was also great, look at him now......

No way Polga is better than any Porto/Benfica player. No wonder Tonel is having a good season, it's not hard to shine when the guy beside you is Polga.....

13. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So you are going to tell me that Polga isn't better than both Pepe and Emanuel...:eek:

Is there something in your afternoon Tea:D

14. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    Polga is the worst defender playing for a Grande!!!

Ok, let me rephrase that, Polga is the worst defender starting for a Grande. B.Alves is the worst!:D

15. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    The difference being that Luisao, Leo and Anderson keep getting called up and he doesn't. Stop living in the past!:D

16. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Emanuel Owns Polga any day of the week and Pepe has proven this season that he is also much better than Polga.

I'll even go as far as saying that Polga has nothing on Rocha!!!!111!!!111

17. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Emanuel couldn't shine Polga's Nike AZTs. As for Pepe...SCP didn't want him so how good could he be:D

18. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    SCP never makes wrong decisions with players.......... :p

19. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    Tello!!!!:D

20. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Man I really have to learn how to write Portuguese. All this time I thought it was spelt Pulga. :D

21. RonaldoQuaresma88ca

RonaldoQuaresma88ca New Member

May 9, 2005
    JUVELEO RULES just got OWNED.

22. RonaldoQuaresma88ca

RonaldoQuaresma88ca New Member

May 9, 2005
    F^ck your just digging yourself a hole...of stupidity no less. No one is saying Rui Jorge sux! We just believe Nuno Valente to be the better player during Euro2004 and currently. And, its common knowledge that some players take time to develop as is the case for Nuno Valente. But thats not the point. The point we're trying to make here is that Nuno Valente of Euro2004 was better than Rui Jorge of WC2002.

And another thing, Scolari changed his lineup, because he was obviously told that Nuno Valente was the better option at LB. I don't know what Paulo Ferreira's screwup has to do with Rui Jorge taking a seat on the bench. Also, Nuno Valente didn't miss a beat during Euro2004, and during WC 2006 qualifying. Your argument has no basis...only in your head.

23. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Excuse me but who is the idiot here:confused: Had you actually read my previous posts all of your questions would have been answered.

And you touched on the point we were making. Rui Jorge 2002 was better than Valente 2004 so much so that Valente wasn't in the starting lineup of the first game. Which I will say again so this time you can read it. Had Portugal won the first game, we wouldn't be having this debate. Scolari shuffled the defense around because Portugal lost, not because of any other reason. Yes Valente was a better player in 2004 than Rui Jorge, but he never got to the level Rui Jorge was at in 2002.

And as for digging a hole, these words of wisdom coming from somebody who uses 2 former SCP players as your handle.

That makes as much sense as you do...none.

24. KhaNArTisT

KhaNArTisT New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Back in Toronto Esse
    LOL im slow i just got that :rolleyes:

25. CRonaldo_07

CRonaldo_07 New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    if portugal won the first game with that crappy lineup we would have been out by the quarters.

why was ruijorge taken out...because hes sh!T!!!

Rui jorge was also shitin 2002, even in the poland game i rmeember the polish players best chances coming from his side.

Valente is better then rui jorge ever was.