Dormir a sesta---> why Portugal and Europe is better than North America

Discussion in 'Portugal: NSR' started by FCPorto_Dragao, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I dont know if he feels closer to Portugal. I mean, the first 16 years of your life play a large part in who you become. The way he speaks Portuguese, the way he thinks, the place where he learned futebol, were in the barrios of Brasil....his home. I dont if one can ever feel closer to another country then the one that they were born into...

but the fact that Deco came to Portugal at 16 also means he was influenced by Portugal as well.

2. FCPorto_Dragao

Jun 15, 2005
    E DUBs
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    glad my thread instigated such political and cultural views...although I lament the trashtalking for no apparent reason as these are just opinions, no one is right, no one is wrong.

My opinion sides with the Portuguese way of life...we are way to work oriented here in Canada...although we may have more money, our standard of living is not up to par (remember, in my opinion) to those of the latin countries like Portugal, Spain, France (borderline) and Italy...how many times have you been at work and dreamed of having a nap break...I know I have, and it doesn't imply laziness I think, I actually think it would be beneficial to work production as you might reenergize yourself for the rest of the day...I've seen 60 minutes documentaries on this and studies have shown benefits.

Here is an interesting tale I have from when I was there last...myself and my father were waiting at a full service GALP station in Estela (if any of you guys know where that is, just a couple kms north of Povoa de Varzim's centro) and we were next in line to have our car fueled...so, we were waiting about 5 minutes when I noticed the guy had already finished pumping gas into buddy's car in front of us...so I said to my dad, "what the hell? Let's go already, why is this guy taking so long," when he turns to me with his wise gaze and says, "my son, its different here...there is no need to rush" and in, words I can only express in Portuguese he followed up by saying, "Moço, no fim da tudo certo..." (when we die, everything will be taken care of)...no need to rush...I suppose that is why my dad, during those harsh winter months for pipe layers where work stops, decides to go to Portugal every January since the year I asked him why that gas bar man took forever. And, to be honest, I'd have to side with my dad.

3. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Exactly....life is to be enjoyed. I kind of like the laid - back style of Portugal....but then again, I am trying to get paid over here in Montreal.

4. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    It's sad that you pass judgement on those you've never met...supporting a certain nationality requires more than just knowing the anthem and to hear a member of the portuguese community say shit like that to another descendent really shows how ignorant some ppl in this community stil are.... Do I agree with Deco on the NT...no, but it's within the rules.

I feel a strong bond with Portugal, and my dual citizenship says I'm portuguese to...should I still not weat the NT jersey? What criteria do i need to fulfill?

I was wearing NT jerseys as far back as I could remember...When the senior squad was still in relative obscurity. Heck I even own a Canadian NT jersey from the time when Alex Bunbury was playing for Maritimo. Real fans support their team no matter what...and I like to consider myself a fan

this thread has gotten waaaaaaaay out of hand

5. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I agree.

6. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah we tend to do that with almost every thread.

7. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    Does that make him more portuguese somehow????

I would never play for a country other than mine, i would also never wear a jersey other than the one from my country!!!

That's where i stand!!!

8. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    I am sorry!!! U didn't get the memo????

Give me your fax number i will have Judas fax it over this mornning!!!

9. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada

Like i said, i have my opinions, which i shared!! U don't agree, which is fine.

I am not saying that i am right and u are wrong.

To each its own!!!

10. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Canada:confused:

11. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    I've seen Portuguese, that can care less for Portugal, and if he feels Portuguese. Who am I to judge.

To Deco playing is his work!

12. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    So what your saying is contraditory.

You currently work in Canada, right. By working in CA your contributing to well being of Canada, and its's economy. So how can you? Portugal needs you.

13. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    U can ask Forca, Zezinho and people here who know me. Canada day i don't even put a flag at my door.

I love Canada, but my country is Portugal. My wife is Canadian and my son now is Luso/Canadiano.....but either i like it or not he was born here so he will always be more Canadian than portuguese.

I want him to be proud of his heritage, but i also want him to be proud of his nation, Canada!!!

This is something i personally feel strong about, i don't think there is a right or wrong...only personal values and choices. I was raised to always love and respect my country.

14. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If either Political or Economical, leaving one's birth country is always a very hard decision.

My Parents brought us here to the U.S. in 1969, then in 1980 they decided to go back. It didn't matter how much money they made, they didn't like the lifestyle, and they loved their country. I give them all the credit in the world for not being "Hypocrites" When I say hypocrites I mean the people that bad-mouth whatever country they currently live in and praise another country that they were born in.

If you hate being were you are go back...

15. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    So u saying by me living here makes me less portuguese???

I am confused???

I live here because i married a canadian woman, wo would not relocate to Portugal, otherwise i would have moved there long time ago.

In case u don't know, ALL my family with an exception of my brother are in Portugal. My friends, family, roots, everything i am is there. I miss my country, but when i met my wife and decided to marry her i knew it was with the price tag of not being able to live there.......for love u make sacrifices in life. I don't regret mine!!!

16. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    TO I truly respect your stance on this subject...I know entirely too well were you are coming from.

My point as illustrated in the previous post is the following:

It's OK to be "Pro-Portugal" but don't be "anti-where ever you live and work"

Not that you are, but some of your Portuguese Patriotism can be taken that way, particularly since you live in Canada

17. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    I agree with you........i would never say a negative word about Canada, but i would not wear a NT jersey either.:D

18. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    Thank you for understanding, and u bring out a great point!!!

I am not against Canada, neither would i ever diss the country that took me in. I hate when i see people doing it and its something i never did or do!!!

But i don't see the fact that i won't wear a Canada NT jersey or wave the flag as a diss, i see it as not being fake.

If i am at a game, i do stand up and sing the Canadian National Anthem, out of respect, but why would i go in the middle of the street waving a canadian flag, wearing a NT jersey when Canada won the olympics in hockey. I was happy that they won, but its not my Patria!!!!

19. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    No one is saying that, but it also doesn't make you more portuguese, then say my kids. They were born here, love it here, and spend the whole summer in Portugal, and love it there too. If you ask them they say there Portuguese.

Like the song goes "Eu tenho dois amores, de qual eu gosto mais....." :D

20. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    To me you are Canadian if you were born here, you are portuguese if you were born there.

If you were born here and your parents were born there, then you are Canadian of portuguese decent!!! Not Portuguese!!!

Ben Johnson was Canadian when he won the gold medal in the Olympics, but when he was stripped of it for dopping, the Canadian Media said he was Jamaican!!!

21. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Gentlemen. Portuguese is not where you live, it is what you are. ;) It is in our hearts.

22. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    :rolleyes: )
    That's your opinion, I have a dual citizenship and in Canada as far back as I can remember when someones asked where are you from the answer is never Canada because of the multiculturalism a good 70-75% of the Population is immigrants and their descendants.

Now I understand where you are comming from and that's fine I won't get mad at it, because no one anywhere can tell a person what their limits are in terms of nationality (not even a nations government can take away what's in a persons heart) so your opinion is fine you can or cannot consider me Portuguese all you want because the definition is not absolute.
    I would ask the posters not to take some of your patriotism out of context because not displaying a Canada flag outside on Canada day does not make you anti-Canada, just as working and living outside of Portugal does not make you a traitor.

I'll leave this thread open for a couple of more days so people can say a final comment or make a retractment (since every time I close a thread it is assumed I have a hidden agenda:rolleyes: ) and then I will close it because the term "siesta/Sesta" has not been mentioned for a couple of pages.

23. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    lol. I was born in Portugal and left for Canada when I was 1 year old. I gaurantee you that no one there considers me to be Portuguese. They see me as Canadian with Portuguese blood. Ya I was born there but to be truthfull, I see Canadian born Portuguese people that are much more Portuguese than I am. Shit, I can bearly read Portuguese. If I had not married a Portuguese girl, I would probably bearly speek Portuguese, but if anyone sais that Im not Portuguese, I will take that as an insult. It is what I am and not because of where my mother happen to give birth to me. Being Portuguese is more than what the legal descriptions are. It is who you are, where ever you are. I know that some will dissagree with me, but that is how I feel. You can take the boy away from Portugal, but you can not take away Portugal from the boy.

24. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada

Exactly!!!! Now all this talk as made me sleepy....maybe is time for a sesta!!!

There i just got the thread back on track!!!

25. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    One last note.

To all you "portuguese" out there (u know who i am referring 2), get those Brazilian flags and jerseys ready....god forbid we bomb this WC, you will need it.

Gotta love it, during the last WC........Brazilians in Toronto multiplied themselves by x10 after Portugal got eliminated!!! Gotta love that patriotism!!!