Portugal UEFA Coefficient Watch 2005-06 [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: Clubs' started by Frank Cunha, Jun 28, 2005.

1. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Great post.

things so far goin well for us in the UC as the French teams have been eliminated, not like we are gonna pass France but nice that they aren't gainning anymore UC ground.

And best of luck to Palerma oops! I mean Palermo who are about halfway through their game with Shalke winning 1-0 on aggregate.

2. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Here's a thought, don't you think that teams that don't lose should get some sort of bonus? Braga tied both games, never lossed and based on away goals were eliminated. But for not losing in European competition wouldn't giving a bonus of maybe .5 be suitable?

3. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why aren't the points themselves enough reward? Braga got 1+1 points for that performance, which seems about commensurate with their performance (which ended, all told, in a tough defeat but defeat nonetheless). And do we really need to give teams an incentive to create more draws?

One other variant might be to use the system that is now common in all leagues and tournaments: three points for a win (instead of two), and one for a draw. I don't think teams think about Uefa points much, so there's not much of an incentive argument in favor of that, but the change might reflect the descriptive point that wins are significantly more impressive than draws.

4. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    According to away goals, they were eliminated. Why would they be rewarded for not losing?

It's like Italy in Euro 2004, they were the only team to not lose a game :D

5. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other teams not to lose who ended up going home early: Belgium in WC98 (three draws); and England in WC82 (two draws in the second group stage). By contrast, Ireland advanced to the quarters of WC90 without winning a game in regulation time (four draws and then advancing past Romania on penalties).

6. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    BTW punk ass Palermo went on to lose to Shalke so Germany still has a team left in european competition :mad:

7. simao20

simao20 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    SoCal
    Great news...now our uefa coeffcient will suffer next year when crap Setubal will Stink it up in the UEFA cup. I'm sure all their loaned players will return- Varlea, Carlitos etc...

too bad for Guimaraes I really think they would've done better in Europre next year..

8. Daniel_Alves

Daniel_Alves New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Porto, Portugal
    Hmm, I think I would be more upset if it was a team like Naval por ex.
    Guimarães is more throat than anything else. Sure I would like to see them rise, like Boavista or Braga so that we could have more competitiveness at the top...but they fail so much that is starting to become repetitive. They made the 2nd best coefficient of all portuguese teams this year. But if we analyse better, they had weak opposition and their performance was below expectations. Exactly in the year where Portugal's global coefficient is amazingly poor. Which says much about the illusion created around the "2nd best".
    Setúbal is not that bad and it will be good if they can at least get to the group stage. I have higher hopes for Boavista, Braga and the big 3 in Europe than the rest.

9. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    That's pretty much all we have is Porto, Sporting, Benfica and Boavista. Braga has been stiking it up 2 years in a row but had a good run like 10 years ago. All the other teams have no hope of making it passed the 1st round.

10. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Terrible news for our next european season, Vit.Setúbal still is and will be the same club who was in risk of closing because they didn´t have money to pay the players.
    They probably have one of the lowest budgets in the league, so most likely they will choke in the first round again...:eek:

P.S. Having said this, with all the problems they had in the last 2 years, reaching 2 times in a row to Jamor and Uefa its incredible.

11. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Yeah but the Portugal Cup has been sort of a joke some years. Remember Leixoes making the finals when they were in 2nd b? They didn't do too bad in uefa since there was no expectations on them.

12. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    I honestly would have been happier with Guimaraes making it to the final and also getting a Uefa spot. But congrats on Setubal.....it they make it out of first round and into uefa group stages is an amazing achievement!

13. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It still amazes me that Porto and Benfica "fans" care so much about SCP...

If SCP are nothing but a bunch of chokers, who can't make the second round of the CL or can't ever beat these far superior teams then why all the concern.

First Benfica is the Club chosen by it's 15 Million Supporters to represent Portugal as it's "National" team and also the team that keeps the nation even-keeled...:rolleyes:

Second Porto is the true class of Portuguese Football and all other teams should just step aside and let them through because no one can match all their greatness and power:rolleyes:

So you see with all of this going on there shouldn't be any concern for Little 'Ole SCP that can 't get out of it's own way...

So no need to bash...we are just a small club team from Lisbon that can do no harm to the Portuguese Soccer Powers:rolleyes:

But yet when you speak of corruption you don't automatically associate it with SCP...so we do have something on the "Powers"

Integrity...

14. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    We don't care about Sporting per say.....we care about Sporting being associated with Portugal and enbarrassing us in europe.

15. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Good old Sporting, Lisboa's stepchild.

16. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Much Like Benfica prior to this year...and they still have time to embarass themselves.

Reaching the final of a Tournament..I wouldn't consider that an embarassment.

Particularly with such an inferior team:rolleyes: as most of you would say.

17. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    But losing the final at home when leading at half time is.

18. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    REP!:)

19. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Ummm...? Like Benfica prior to this year?

I might remind you that Benfica has seen 7 champions league finals.

20. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Damnnn JuveLeo just got PWNED!

21. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What exactly is "PWNED":D

If he had been alive for any of those seven then I would be impressed...

22. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005

I was alive for 2 of them. The first was the final against PSV I think. I remember it was the first time I had ever seen my vovo cry. The next was two years later against AC Milan. That year I had a better understanding of what was going on, and I remember for the first time really cheering for a team that I felt was like my own...a team to take pride in. I was 9 years old.

How old were you when sporting reached their last champions league final?

23. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I don't even think Jesus was alive.

24. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pawned, he took you in a sold you for lesser value just to buy some crack :D

25. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I love this.

Sporting have gotten to two European finals in their history. They win one and lose the other and they're chokers for life.

Benfica go and lose over a handful of European finals and I've never heard the word choker come up.

Oh, the world we live in!