Ignorant soccer coverage from a well known source...[R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by IslandBoy, Feb 9, 2006.

1. IslandBoy

IslandBoy Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/news_story.asp?ID=154080

Portugal: Zaragoza routs Real Madrid

Diego Milito

Associated Press

2/8/2006 5:24:38 PM

MADRID, Spain (AP) - Diego Milito scored four goals and Zaragoza overwhelmed Real Madrid 6-1 in a Copa del Rey first-leg semifinal Wednesday.

Ewerthon added Zaragoza's other goals at La Romareda Stadium, leaving Madrid almost certain to be eliminated in next week's second leg at its Santiago Bernabeu Stadium.

Julio Baptista scored a consolation goal for the visitors, who had hoped to win Spain's knockout competition this season and end a drought without a major trophy which stretches back to 2003.

Zaragoza's victory ended Madrid's seven-game winning streak in the league and Copa del Rey. It was Madrid's first defeat in 2006.

2. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Hardly ignorant if you ask me!! just an honest mistake by the webmaster

3. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lol....its kind of funny that people still confuse Portugal with Spain. But I think it is also a blessing in desquise that they acknowledge our futebol talent...

4. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    looks like Canadians have the same geography problem as Americans: some still think Portugal is a province belonging to Spain! :mad:

5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I work in a Toronto Suburb in Markham and a lot of people that work here in my company are from small towns and cities up north and once I told them I was going to Portugal for vacation and there were like: "Portugal :confused: WTF is that :confused: "

Then I had to explain and give them a history lesson and send them weblinks etc..... Pretty pathetic if you ask me. I know everything about every province and territory in Canada and they don't even know what Portugal is.

6. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    I blame the education system.....some canucks can't even name the provinces and territories or sing the national anthem, how can you expect them to know where Portugal is!!!

ps. Same applies to some americans...if in doubt watch a show called street smarts.:D

7. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Come to think of it though, Ive been to games hear in Toronto (With a Portuguese team involved) and at least half the Portuguese fans did not know all of the words to the Portuguese National anthem either. :D It would go real quiet during most of the anthem and then real loud during other parts. :D

8. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Hear is a question. Lets see how many people get this right. What is the highest mountain point in Portugal ? Ive seen this in Portuguese game shows and it is rare that it is gotten correct.:confused:

9. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not sure whether it's on Serra Da Estrela or Pico (Azores)....

10. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    Yeah, but most of them were born here......they were not born in Portugal.

I wasn't born here and i know the anthem and provinces and stuff. No excuse for people that are born in Canada not to know their anthem.

11. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    No man, Im talking about the older guys too. Most of them did not know all the words. I dont expect people such as myself to know it but they should.

12. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    Portugal Continental or Portugal Continental e regioes autonomas da Madeira e acores?

If its Portugal Continental then Serra da Estrela. If its fro Portugal continental e regioes autonomas then Pico.

Pico Ruivo is the third highest, located in Madeira.

13. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    That i agree...but old age plays a factor as well.:D

14. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    :D :D

15. IslandBoy

IslandBoy Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    LOL, I guess you can say that. You hear Futeball (or soccer) and PORTUGAL comes to mind! That can be a reasonable explanation.

Maybe TSN just does not care anymore now that they do not have the rights to the World Cup 2006. I hope Sportsnet coverage is better. I am happy I won't be seeing that Craig Forrest before the games and half times!!

16. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Or that Dick Howard and Graham Legget guys :D

17. marco goncalves

marco goncalves New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Boston

Pico ,Azores

18. SouLeao

SouLeao Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Toronto
    Actually, Craig Forrest is on Sportsnet so we can expect him and Gerry Dobson during the World Cup coverage. I like them both better than the TSN guys. Besides, with Sportsnet bringing us way more soccer coverage than TSN, they deserve to have all the major tournaments.

Bad news is Sportsnet has sold part of its World Cup package to TSN so we will have to put up with those bastards once again.

19. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    first was Galicia and now Saragoca, everybody wants to be a part of Portugal

www.cplp.net:)

20. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's just an error everyone makes an error

21. Forever-Sporting

Forever-Sporting New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Ive also seen frank lampards name be spelt frank lombart on tsn. and on getty images ive seen joao moutinho become joao mouthono:confused:

22. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    One name is all you need>VIC RAUTER

23. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Yes, the curling and soccer expert :D

24. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  25. IslandBoy

IslandBoy Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Montreal, Canada

I agree. I always found it so stupid that TSN hardly shows any soccer except when the "big team" are playing in the Champion League, and then as soon as a WC oe Euro commences, they are the "soccer experts".

At least Sportnet Net shows some league games. And with the NHL strike last year, one of the postives that came out of that was SportsNet airing some Spanish League games on the weekend. TSN felt that bowling or dog shows were more important.