A's add a new twist to the story... (threads merged)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by dk_dynamite, Dec 16, 2005.

1. CL_2004

CL_2004 New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Re: A's add a new twist to the story...

This fella is on point. As much as I was teasing SJ Quakes supporters in earlier threads I really would like to see a SJ team in the league next season.
    It's great that Houston was awarded a franchise because its a good market but EXPANSION is good. SJ getting a team for 2006 will make the total of teams more and its good because every new market MLS expands to they add thousands of fans.

2. CL_2004

CL_2004 New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Toronto

QUESTION: If an owner was to step up as of right now(ex. Oakland Athletics ownership group) can they get things in order in time for the 2006 season? :confused:

3. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

That would be tough. I'd say that was in the realm of the possible, but highly improbable.

4. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV

Maybe. They'd have to start from scratch for almost everything. Sure a good portion of the front office folk could be retained, but they'd have to hunt for a new coach, scout/trial new players, hire new assistants, media blitz EVERYTHING.

It'd be a mess, but they could probably pull it off.

5. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

You would think, however, that a major league organization like that would, however, have the skills and know-how to make it work in short time. Hey, just think if it were the A's, the Quakes might get some advertising, sales promotion and free media time, unlike what they [haven't] received in the last two years.
    Off on a tangent: That's another thing that pisses me off so much. AEG did nothing (damn it, nothing) in the way of media relations (press, TV, anything) for this team in the time they were the [so-called] owners.

6. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

with all due respect..and trying to be as sensitive as possible...one reason the Earthquakes are no longer in SJ is because...... technically speaking, you guys ARE now AEG free.... AEG chose in a business like manner (sure, coldly) to move the team and their capital invested -lost- in SJ to Houston, where they'll presumably lose less money, and/or in their view have better prospects to lose less, or maybe even make a buck in the future...

So, in one sense, you are radically freer from AEG.... And in part, that's why you are sad and angry at them, no? because being free from AEG also (regrettably) meant losing the Earthquakes, as no one else was willing to step up with the capital....

Or am i reading things wrong?

7. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Yes, I think so. One of the reasons that I am angry at them is that during the time they were here they acted only as a caretaker. That was the express role that they took, and would have been okay, if, during that time, they had taken an active role in finding a new, local owner, but my take on it is that they did very little. The only people who showed up (I don't believe that AEG actively courted them) as potential new owners were Club America of Mexico, and they were supposed to have desired a relocation of the Quakes to Houston (this Houston thing sounds even fishier to me when I think of that), but CA did not seem to be genuinely interested, and were only looking at coming into MLS because Vergara/Televisa/Chivas was doing so. My point is, and I will keep it as such until I am contradicted by fact, that even if AEG would have preferred to get out of the Bay Area and into the Houston market, they could have performed the role that the league assigned to them of actively finding a local replacement.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

This might sound a little crazy and maybe even stupid but is there any chance of have both soccer and baseball played in one stadium? I know we need a SSS and I know baseball plays all summer long and the infield would be torn up. I also know the MLS soccer people don't want to play in baseball stadiums but maybe, in this day and age we can come up with a solution and invent a make shift soccer field then replace it for baseball? Didn't they do something similar at Giants Stadium in NY/NJ with the replacement of the trays and also in Rochester with the Rhinos?
    Maybe its too far fethced and maybe it would cost too much but I'm sure the A's want in this soccer thing becuase they want to plant their foot in the South Bay. I foresee a baseball stadium being approved but not a soccer stadium. Therefore, if this is the case, maybe we can get some cratfy Silicon Valley engineeer to come up with a solution or plan of some sort to remove the infield/field and use them both for soccer and for baseball?

9. Olson50

Olson50 New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Durham, England

Although technically possible, I very much doubt that either the baseball people or the soccer people would be interested in that kind of thing. Aesthetically, I'd guess that it would also be pretty poor.

10. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    AP story on FSW: A's want to buy MLS team in SJ

Anybody see/hear this yet? I thought I saw someone mention one scenario involving Lew Wolff (new A's owner) in the picture of trying to get the new Quakes up and running. What do you think?.....smoke and mirrors or a possibility?

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5175100

11. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Only if you want more Wednesday night games. The seasons totally overlap.

12. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Re: AP story on FSW: A's want to buy MLS team in SJ

Oops....sorry, mods. I see there was already a thread about this...just spotted it.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    . Maybe you are right! Maybe its would not look good to replace the infield with a patch of grass. I do recall seeing it on the rhinos field and the grass looked dead. As far as the overlap of the season is concerned, I'm sure we would play the home games when the A's were on the road and the road games when the A's were at home. Either way, it would probably only be a short term solution ,anyway. I guess eventually the soccer people would have to build their own SSS.
    It probably would not be feasible either because of the fact someone somewhere would lose money. Either the baseball or the soccer people could lose a lot of money. I remember reading that it cost the Metrostars $500,000 every time they had to replace the trays back to the turf. I guess now they have the grass installed for the JETS, GIANTS & the METROS so that way no one has to pay for that

14. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I've always found interesting (and lousy and frustrating) is that the A's rent Oakland Coliseum for $5,000 a game.

If the Quakes could have had a deal like that from Ye Olde Spartan Shoppes, we probably would have had a new owner several years ago.

15. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Link? That's phenomenally low. But even if they paid more than $5K/game, I'm sure it still has to be tons less than AEG paid Spartan. I wonder if the frequency of baseball games, coupled with much greater parking/concession revenue, has anything to do with the lower rate(?). EDIT: Or maybe the A's were grandfathered in at the low rate, like rent control.(?)

See you at the Brit, B?

16. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now, smoke and mirrors. How come they didn't show interest beforehand.

Also with their own stadium dilemma, they are looking at either the plot of land just north of the Arena/Coliseum or San Jose. They know that if they want to move to San Jose, the Quakes better be back in place beforehand. There will be a major backlash if baseball comes to the South Bay and there's no soccer team. :mad:

Still, if the Athletics and Sharks can pool together and form a group, and then have some investors step in, not to mention having the stadium in place we'll be back before we know it. I'm hoping sooner than later. :)

-----
    Sorry guys, won't be at the Brit.

17. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember the $5000 figure from several sources over the past few years. But since you ask, I found this link from the Business Times in 2002

This article says that the A's will pay $500,000 per year from 2002 to 2005 seasons.

So for the past three seasons, the A's paid 500,000 for 82 regular season games, at least two preseason games, and who knows how many other days for practice and postseason.

Just sticking to the regular season/preseason, that's just under $6,000 per game.

But this is just an article about negotiations. I remember distinctly reading that they ended up at $5,000 per game.

Also part of the deal as outlined in the article: the A's pay 50 cents for every ticket sold beyond the 2 millionth ticket. So suppose they sold 3 million tickets -- that's another $500,000 for the Coliseum authority.

Wish I could be at the Brit. I have to work and prep for my holiday travel back to Virginia. :(

18. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I join you in the glass-is-half-full camp.

19. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.

That's the key point IMO.

What reason is there for Wolff to buy the team when he doesn't get control of a new stadium?

San Jose fans (and the Quakes players/staff) are caught in the middle unfortunately.

20. marinelayer

marinelayer New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    I'm a bit late in responding to the thread, but here are my two cents anyway.

I've never had any direct dealings with Lew Wolff, never even met the guy. But there are few better proponents of sports in San Jose than Wolff. He bought into the Warriors to get them to move from Oakland. The Sharks at the time wouldn't give him a favorable lease and key dates. So he divested himself, and the Warriors stayed in Oakland, where they have the worst lease of any pro sports team in the Bay Area. He knows the principals of SVS&E, and he knows AEG through his development of a hotel near Staples Center.

It's starting to become more and more clear with each passing month that the he's going to try to move the A's to San Jose. There's even a comment about Wolff giving up on the Oakland plan on my blog. I have reason to believe this. That and the timing of the Wolff-Quakes announcement are no coincidence IMHO.

So I think what's going to happen is this:

1. There will be a ballot measure that contains both a soccer stadium and a ballpark scheduled for November 2006.
    2. A heavy barrage of media ads will occur next fall urging San Jose to make new homes for the A's and Quakes.
    3. If it passes, plans will be unveiled that have the SSS immediately south of the ballpark (which I originally thought was preposterous). The proposal won't look like my drawing with the United Rentals site because NIMBY's will cry foul. To do this, Park Avenue would have to be closed down between the tracks and Autumn/Montgomery. During the ballpark scoping session on Thursday, some local residents actually encouraged this because it could help contain vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
    4. The remaining space would be used for the PG&E substation and a park and parking. Maybe other development.
    5. Should the deal go through, SVS&E will get management of all three venues (ballpark, arena, SSS) and Wolff/Fisher/The A's will get some kind of equity share or interest. This is good from the baseball standpoint because it can allow him to do some creative accounting to hide money from revenue sharing ;) Plus SVS&E will have a powerful portfolio of venues for promotion.

I have reason to believe that most of the above in some form is what is being planned. It's hard to find a single person more devoted to the concept of sports in San Jose that Wolff. I think that losing the Quakes is part of the strategy to push the city into a more amenable position. It leaves fans and players caught in the middle, which frankly sucks, but that's how the game is played. Sadly, if this happens, Oakland will be left in the lurch.

21. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the clarification, Lew... I mean, marinelayer! :D

That's great info and an enlightening take. From all accounts, he sounds formidable and a booster of San Jose. Good things, for a change.

22. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.

Falvo, I was thinking exactly the same as you. It's actually DCU who shared RFK stadium this year with the Nationals? 'hey, I'm English'. Whilst there were complaints early this season about the soccer pitch being at a funny angle in the stadium, a new stadium in the Bay Area needn't have that problem, as it could be built with both sports in mind. Sharing makes economic sense as you essentially get two stadiums for the price of one and with building ground being scarce it makes sense that way aswell.

23. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Marinelayer: so what's your (current) take on the whole Giants territory issue?

24. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  25. marinelayer

marinelayer New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    The Giants' territory rights are a huge issue and won't be overcome simply because Wolff ends up with a good deal in San Jose. Some sort of indemnification for the Giants will be required, though I get the feeling it will come from either a guaranteed selling price for the Giants' franchise or enhanced revenue sharing protection, or both. Difficult, but not insurmountable, especially if Selig is behind it or orchestrating it - which it appears he is.