According to Amy at US Soccer

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by MikeLastort2, Dec 14, 2005.

1. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I read through post #100 before replying to this post #64, so I've also seen post #84.. Obviously, I've touched a nerve with you & some others. I've also seen some intelligent suggestions, especially the comments on season tickets, which Mike Lastort started in jest. But frankly, that's my point.
    I have season tickets for teams in three sports. It would be four if I had more money. I would be willing to buy season tickets for the USMNT, moreso if it was a partial package, i.e. 6 games, to reserve my place for WC tickets.
    I've been a NY Giants fan since 1963; I can't get season tickets. If they "qualify" for the playoffs this year, should those tickets be sold in a lottery? First come, first serve, based on faxes to some # in Chicago? Should Super Bowl tickets be sold in the same manner?
    If one of the teams for which I hold season tickets "qualifies" for the playoffs, should I be happy to see those tickets sold via lottery or lucky fax to people who have never attended a single game? But they're planning to visit friends too! I can't be "elitist" about this!
    For those who question the English FA's preference system, read the new Wembley plan below. People can buy a seat license & are required to buy a dozen tickets annually, which includes National team games, the FA Cup final & both semi-finals & even rugby.
    I hope that everyone who wants USMNT tickets for the World Cup gets them, even you. If I don't get them, I'm going anyway & will scalp them. If you're there, maybe we'll meet & talk further. You don't have to agree with my position, but you should respect the fact that others hold opinions different than yours, and those people are "good fans", too.
    http://worldsoccer.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.wembleystadium.com
    Seat license approx. $6,700; Season ticket approx. $2,300 for 12 events.

2. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    My wife and I went to about a half dozen qualifiers during 2000 and 2001 because we knew we weren't going to Japorea. We only went to two this time around because we are going to go to Germany and wanted to save up travel money for that trip.

I guess I better contact USSF and tell them to remove my application from consideration since we didn't attend enough US games this time around.

:rolleyes:

3. Bill63

Bill63 Member

Jul 16, 2000

I see your point Jake and I wouldn't like it if I got cut out as you illustrate, but with your option, I'd spend each year trying to scalp tickets. In a small country, I'd be with you. I don't see how we could make it work here. It would be great if I lived in LA or Boston, but what percentage of games get South? It's not high per year. Travel makes your idea problematic. But I see your point. I would agree with the pecking order if: we really had a manner of establishing attendance(which is impossible), and we had a clearing house that gauranteed I could unload those tix I couldn't use because the game is on the other coast or up North

4. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be averse to some sort of season ticket arrangement for USSF, although I probably wouldn't buy one - my work schedule just does not permit me to attend that many games. My soccer fix is primarily through watching DC at RFK. However, I do donate money every year to the USSF. I'm not stating that to tell you how great I am, but I contribute to several groups a year, both because I believe in what they do and I can use the tax deduction, so it's not a completely altruistic endevour. ;) But I would submit that dollar for dollar they get more from my charitable contribution that they would get for a similar amount spent on tickets.

Anyway, my point is there are lots of ways to support the USSF and MNT, besides going to games although that is the preferred method from a fan's standpoint.

So if there was a scheme to provide supporters a preference (beyond the one you get for logging into USSF), then it should apply equally to the various types of support that the USSF gets.

But I still think it should just be first come, first served, and you can all just get in line behind me. :D

5. apog

apog Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Cypress
    Hi. A couple of comments regarding short term and long term. Regarding the WC 06, the ticket rules don't include
    previous MNT ticket purchase / attendance history as a factor for obtaining tickets. From a fairness perspective
    regarding this particular event, I'd be upset if any of the ticket allocation rules (ie first come, first served) are changed
    after the process has begun.

Regarding events in the future, it would be fine by me if the USSF decides to issue some sort of 'season' ticket to MNT
    events and uses that as a factor in future WC ticketing. It would be even better if there was some magical means to
    give precedence to those who actually attended events (as opposed to just buying a ticket). I'm on board with the
    big picture that it would be cool to reward the hard core fans. If I were one, I think I'd be lobbying hard with the USSF to
    see if something could be done in the future.

6. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about this loyalty "test"? Answer five or more affirmative, and you get to go to the head of the tickets line ;)

1. Have you ever crossed state lines to see the US National team play?

2. Have you ever worn a hopelessly outdated US nats replica jersey, such as the infamous candy stripes of the 94 WC?

3. Do you weep tears of nostalgic joy when you remember the first time you saw the Nats beat Mexico?

4. Can you recite, as if it were yesterday, where you were when Brian McBride headed in the third against Portugal in 2002?

5. Do you troll the internet more than five hours a week at obscure websites such as BigSoccer.com in search of news of potential or current nats playing in the English lower divisions?

6. Can you name ten current or former members of the US National team who have at one time or the other plied their trade in Germany?

7. Have you ever watched a US nats game narrated entirely in Spanish because there was no English language broadcast available?

8. Can you recite at least one malapropism uttered by Ty Keough or some other ESPN/ABC soccer color man?

9. Have you ever attended a US nats game at Cal State Fullerton's Titan Stadium or some other obscure college venue, or attended a practice?

10. Can you name at least two teams against which Jovan Kirovski scored a goal for the nats?

I score 9 out of 10.

Tickets please! ;)

7. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    does the yale bowl count as an obscure venue..

or new britian...

if so, I'm a 10...

8. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    1. Yes
    2. No - No jerseys in my closet...I'm a t-shirt guy.
    3. No - Not much for crying. I prefer to use my inner monologue.
    4. Yes
    5. Yes
    6. Yes
    7. Yes
    8. Yes
    9. Yes
    10. Yes

9. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I'm forwarding this excerpt to Amy!
    OTOH, much like FIFA, we could base your ranking, in part, on performances in past World Cups. A weighing system is being devised! Just don't be surprised if some Mexican is in front of you!

10. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    9 out of 10 here. Although if you've seen Legion Field lately, that may count as an "obscure college venue", so I might be 10 for 10. I was at the game in Jax when he scored against Deutschland. Sweet shot from downtown!

11. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    We obviously just disagree.

12. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    1. You have my sympathy!
    2. Bless you, my son.
    3. Bastard!

13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Jacksonville is home to three college football games per year (FL/GA-ACCCHAMP-GATORBOWL) so it might just count. ;)

14. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    1. How about faxing to other numbers?
    2. I'm in agreement with this. However, I don't foresee as large a demand for tickets to South Africa '10, so this may be moot. Of course, we could be Cup Holders! (but would still have to qualify!) This issue could/should have been foreseen at the conclusion of WC'02 & some plans made to allocate even just a portion of the Cat 3s to die-hards. As I've said elsewhere, I'm not against new blood, I just believe that there should be some consideration for the core supporters.

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I refuse to self-report my score for this test on the grounds that it may tend to incriminate me at a "soccer nerd". Even if it moves me up in line! Even almost to the front!

16. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Legion Field definitely counts for purposes of #9. As do games in Albuquerque, New Mex., and Richmond, Va.

And we now have an optional sub for #9: "Have you attended at least one match of a youth national team?"

And yeah, JBigJake: soccer nerd is what people wrote in my high school year book 25 years back. I've done pretty well though...

17. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8 out of ten for me . I'm only fifteen , so I dont have an old USA jersey , but in a while , the current one will be old school :D and and I can only name 5 that have played in Germany . Off the top of my head :cool: Lol is an 80% good enough for tickets ? lol cut me some slack , youve been following soccer longer than ive been alive. I guess 7 because I didnt really cry , just jumped around my house for like a week

18. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Don't worry, I already called her claiming to be Mike and canceled my order. I told her that I didn't mind the surcharge! :eek: ;)

I guess English may not be your first language. As a metros fan, I guess you mean't "You have me envious"! :D

I assume you are questioning my use of "ARSEHOLE". Well, if I used **************, BS would edit it. Therefore, I'm willing to state arsehole but I've seen others use a$$hole, assh0le, asshat, a-s-s-h-o-l-e, etc. To each his own.

Alternatively, you may be stating that I must be english because I'm an arsehole. If this is your contention, I would willing to consider it. However, I believe it's possible to be an arsehole without being english. Whereas you seem to contend that all the english are arseholes. If so, please send all hatemail to Drsmoo c/o BS :D

NASLFAN thanks for giving me something to think about while I "watched" the treadmill run.

my answers below (highlight to read)

I have Donovan, Reyna, dolo, Keller, mathis, hejduk, sanneh, wynaldo, mason, wagner, berhalter, someone else that I forget now.

19. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes, add to your excellent list of American Nats in Germany these...

[RESULT] McBride, Twellman, Agoos, Joe-Max Moore, Conor Casey, Lapper, Deering, Dooley, Kirovski, Henderson, Brian Bliss, Chris Sullivan (those last two go WAY back) and Caliguiri (who was the first to make it big) [/RESULT]

With your 11, that makes 25 so far...

20. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000

yup - dang. surprised on a few of those!

21. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK now that I thought about it I got ten ( yes I read your answers but I missed the obvious ones :D )

22. SoccerFamilyStyle

Dec 9, 2005
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm late to this thread, but I'm a busy little retailer, and it's my first post to Big Soccer, so cut a girl some slack.

Here's the deal: I own a company (Simply for Giggles) and we just opened our first brick and mortar AND online this year. "Black Friday" doesn't really apply during your first year...things are going well and all, but we're pretty damn broke right now. Plus, I've got staffing issues to spend a month in Germany...but if you think that will keep me from going...forget it.

This will be my 4th Mens WC, and I've got about 15 caps under my belt. My 3 year old daughter has at least 4. I got fired to go to the France WC and I was 5 months pregnant in Korea. And yes, I do think I should be rewarded for my loyalty.

It's not a question of elitist or whatever, it's a matter of customer loyalty. It scared the heck out of me to travel jobless and pregnant (lucky not at the same time I guess!) and it will freak me out to be multiple time zones from my store, but I'll do it bc I love the team.

I think it's freaking great that there are all these newbies, and I'll be the first one teaching them the songs (heck, mt duaghter can teach them!) But I do think that as a "company" US Soccer should reward those of us who made the commitment and/or sacrifice to be there in the darker days. (I got fired for that crappy 98 performance!! Are you kidding!?) It's just not right that the guy I ref for who barely understands USMNT is going to games that so far, I have no tix to.

Life may not be fair, but business should be, or you won't keep having happy customers. And I've been a damn fine customer.

And my score: 1, 2. 3 4. half of 6, 7, 8. 9. if Korea or Azteca counts which I think is pretty respectable. Besides, how many of you were 5 months pregnant and all swelled up on that flight to Korea?? Or lost you job for soccer? That has to be worth at least 3 bonus points!!

Tanya/SimpyforGiggles

23. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Repped. Wow! This is what I am talking about, people! Fans like Tanya went the extra mile for the USMNT.
    http://www.simplyforgiggles.com/

24. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey I go to Chipotle 2-3 times a week. They don't reward me for customer loyalty - they actually raised prices two weeks ago.

On another note- because these "newbies" haven't been to matches or made the "sacrifice" - they automatically "barely understand the USMNT" ??

25. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    You could have gotten a free burrito on Halloween!
    http://www.chipotle.com/email/05-booUS/boobahbee.html
    Many up-scale restaurants reward frequent or repeat customers.