BAD news coming out of San Jose....

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Sempuukyaku, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    It is not surprising to me that you would make such a statement, given your general attitude on these boards.

Negotiating is never a waste of time if the other side indicates a general willingness to come down off of its latest offer even before a counter-offer is made (assuming the offeree is genuinely interested in reaching a deal).

Apparently, at the point Spartan Shops made its offer, AEG was not interested in operating an MLS franchise in San Jose anymore, period.

2. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    What's the current college deal in Houston, all-seeing Madame Jefe?

And again, what is your objective in taking AEG's side on every point, if the above is an example of the utter lack of substance behind your arguments?

We're losing an MLS team - you ever think "I suppose I don't really know what I'm talking about, so maybe I'll just sit this one out." ?? Or are you just trying to score assh*le points so Segroves will sit with you on the short bus?

3. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I don’t understand the logic of moving a team with a fan base (it’s size can be argued by others), recognized name and logo, and 2 league cups because you can’t get a stadium deal done to a city where they will be an unknown quantity (I’d be shocked if they kept the Quakes name) and you only have a handful of months to promote them. Oh, and you have no stadium to put them in. Unless I’m missing something in Houston.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a great believer in negotiating.

I actually enjoy haggling with car salesman, forcing them to go to their manager's office 14 times (where they usually talk about last night's game or whatever), and getting them to intimate that I'm stealing food from their children's mouths or whatever.

But I also know that there is a point where you walk out and that there is a point where you don't even walk in. I don't walk into the Lexus dealer and try to get them to sell me a new Lexus for $15,000. It's not even worth negotiating.

5. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Re: Ne Plus Ultra...

Mugwump, if you foresee a team here again, then by your logic the market is viable. Isn't it better to stick around than lose credibility, goodwill, momentum and disband an impressive team with a genuine following?

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know and I don't care. But I don't think for a second that there's not a better deal in the Bayou City and that AEG is just doing this to spite you. They're a business and they believe that the business opportunities are better in Houston.
    If "being objective" is your definition of "taking AEG's side on every point," then I guess that that says a lot.
    Hi, I'm a native Houstonian and was an Oilers fan until 1996. Maybe I know a little more about this than you think.

And I would urge you to moderate your language in this forum.

7. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado

Unfortunately, I'm not in with AEG so they don't ask my advice before making their decisions. And I don't know all the particulars of the siuation. But look at the Cleveland situation:

Art Modell moved to Baltimore bacause Cleveland wouldn't give him the deal he wanted The new Browns owners got not only a brand new state-of-the-art stadium but a great lease deal on it.

If I was in AEG's shoes, I'd want to draw the line someplace. Obviously they decided they could not stay with the current situation.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He doesn't take AEG's side on every point. He points out that demonizing them isn't the same as a well reasoned argument.

Yes. You're likely losing an MLS team - you ever think, "I'm too emotionally wrapped up in the situation to cooly and rationally analyze the situation. So instead of blaming everyone within reach, regardless of the facts, maybe I should sit this one out??"

I guess that's an answer to my question.

9. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why would AEG not have control over revenues if it built a stadium?
    No, AEG did not work toward a stadium solution. At best they hoped somebody else would step up and do it.

10. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Your analogy is extremely weak.

A better one is: If you have the capital, the time and the motivation and the Lexus dealer is willing to sell you a new Lexus at the dealer's cost because he wants to move some inventory, and you can turn around and (legally) sell the new Lexus to cash payer Mr. Smith at a $5000 profit after spending 5 hours tops on all the various negotiations and paperwork, wouldn't you be interested in doing so?

Here, if AEG could have negotiated a much more favorable deal with Spartan Shops under the threat of moving to Houston, it could have turned around and assigned that deal to a new investor-operator such as SVS&E. The new and improved Spartan Shops deal would have been part of the asset package sold to the new investor-operator (especially if it had an out clause that allowed the new investor-operator to negotiate even better terms or to void the deal and play in a cheaper stadium like Buck Shaw).

But as stated above, the whole issue is really moot given the lack of movement on an SSS plan.

11. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if SVS&E could've substantially achieved (2) through a more feasible arrangement with Spartan Shops, then wouldn't they have bought themselves at least a couple more years to explore additional possibilities for (1)?

12. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.

Why do I suspect that neither you, Jefe, Bootsy, or the now-comfy Andy Mead have access to some MAGIC slide rule AEG is not sharing with us?

Just look at NY/NJ. If they can make it there... The difference is they insisted on making something happen there.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true.

Ken Horowitz's spat with Phil Anchutz all but assured that the Fusion were gone, and at the time of contraction, San Jose still had SVS&E while Tampa Bay were unsuccessful in attracting an owner (including Glazer, who'd later get into debt acquring ManU :rolleyes: ).

SVS&E parent company (the NHL's San Jose Sharks) later changed ownership in February or March 2002 from the Gund brothers to SJSEE, and it was only then when the league convinced AEG to step in and co-run the Quakes.

In December 2002, SJSEE pulled out of MLS altogether to right their own floundering (at the time) Sharks, who were having a horrendous 2002-03 NHL season both on and off the ice, leaving AEG with full control of the Quakes. It was only then that the possibility of relocation surfaced.

In any case, I was always against contraction/relocation then and still am today. :(

-G

14. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    In theory, yes. In reality, no.

It still would have been a money losing arrangement on the overall cash flow, just less money lost.

And their negotiating leverage with respect to an SSS would have, unfortunately, dramatically lessened once they announced such a deal.

The reality is, SVS&E wanted the SSS plan solidified before they would commit to buying the Quakes and that was their number one priority; reducing operating losses obviously was very important but, without a satisfactory answer to the first priority, it was simply not enough from SVS&E's point of view. You can disagree with SVS&E's point of view, but that was in fact how they viewed the situation.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honore de Ballsac,

I wasn't kidding about moderating your language.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    As of right now, the Earthquakes are still in San Jose. Hopefully it stays that way.

If it doesn't, hopefully the bay area gets a team sooner rather than later.

17. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Merc is reporting that Quakes staff were informed of the move to Houston this morning:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13415186.htm

A sad day for San Jose and Quakes fans. I'll save the obituary for another post, but we've got Quakes memories galore.

18. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Oh you must be.

I'm losing my team right now. Like I really care about losing my bigsoccer status to someone abusing theirs.

You don't think you've been trolling in the San Jose forum while our team is sinking? That's far more offensive than my asterisks.

19. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Huh, way to remove a zinger too.

20. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** you, MLS. It will be very difficult to support the league any more from my vantage point. I'm really looking forward to telling my kids why we won't be going to Spartan anymore and why I'm going to burning all my Quakes gear in the backyard.

Good luck to H-town. I, for one, have some serious doubts the team will be an instant success without an owner, stadium plan, and just now getting a ticket sale plan underway. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I thought it takes quite a bit more time to get settled into a new community, build corporate relationships, sales, etc.

Somehow this makes MLS stronger. I just don't see it. Not for 2006; maybe moving forward.

Final thought here: Now that MLS is gone from San Jose, its really long past time to open up all of Northern California for potential stadium locations.

21. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    And what was a one in a thousand type hope is now a one in ten million type hope. (See Mercury News link above. One in ten million is that the announcement to the front office is not irrevocable if someone comes up with a last minute, signed on the dotted line deal by 5 p.m. PT today-- the likelihood of which is statistically a fraction of a milisecond more than nil. A hope against all hopes.)

22. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Regardless of a miniscule chance of the course of history reversing its apparent trajectory, I have to say: Good luck, Houston.

23. scumark

scumark New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Fremont, CA

So you're telling me I've got a chance...

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so too, though at this point it's unlikely. :(

Even so, my summers would then be spent following just the SF Giants and just baseball in general.

-G

25. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    I just want to give my condolences to all the Quakes' fans if Garber is about to do what we fear. It would be terrible for American soccer to lose San Jose. I really feel bad for the fans.