Czech Press Report

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Parmigiano, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    OK, here's a place where those who follow the Czech press can share its reporting on Team USA and Czech preparations for the World Cup.

There a few minor gems in today's Czech newspapers (which are really only now starting to report in depth on Friday night's draw since there is only one newspaper on Sunday and it's of the topless tabloid variety).

The daily "Sport," the main sports paper here, ran its own prediction for the entire cup and optimistically forecast the Bohemian and Moravian boys finishing third in the tournament. (Brazil wins the final against Germany, 2-0, and the Czechs beat Argentina on penalties in the scrub match, after ending extra time 2-2.)

They put the Czechs and Italians tied for first in the group on 7 points, with the Czechs going through on goal differential. Ghana and USA each have one point, presumably from a draw between themselves. The paper gives Ceska Republika a 1-0 victory over USA; 3-1 over Ghana and draw with Italy.

Now to some more interesting nuggets.

In an interview with Petr Cech, the Chelsea goalman says Ghana is the one team he wanted to avoid before the draw and calls our group the second most difficult after the Dutch/Agentina one.

Then, asked if everyone in Group E has about the same chance to advance USA, he says: "Definitely, the results of the games [n our group] are going to be very close, very even; I don't believe anyone will really dominate. People are giving Italy a little bit more of a chance than the other teams, but it certainly doesn't have to end up that way. For example, Team USA plays pretty decent football. Last summer with Chelsea we toured the USA and played an exhibition match with DC United and it wasn't fun at all."

Then, the same paper breaks down Group E. Ghana is definted as "The Great Unknown," Italy as "The Most Predictable," and the US as "Almost Like A Club."

In an interview, Czech coach Werner Licka of Poland's Groclin gives his view of the USA. Asked about Czechoslovakia's 5-1 win over USA in 1990, Licka says: "We need to forget about that right away. America is an extremely unpleasant opponent, with really well developed tatics and a coach who has been with the team a long time."

Another thing, then, is the American "nature," according to Licka: "This is a disaster [for the Czechs]. They are very ambitious, very self-confident and what's more, they've actually learned how to play football."

Then the paper explains that the US team has a longer and more thorough preparation for the WC than most national sides. Licka adds: "The national team over there is on a high level, and they'll do anything to be successful. They organize lots of tournaments (friendlies) and prepare the national team almost as if it were a club."

Then only other tidbit I can add here are some comments from Karel Poborsky as reported in the daily "Mlada fronta dnes."

"If we want to win the World Cup, we have to beat everyone. And we want to win the World Cup."

The paper then throws in the quotes from Friday by Coach Bruckner, that he doesn't know much about the Americans and that it is unlucky that the Czechs have to play them in their first match.

But Poborsky adds: "I think it's good that we get to start against the Americans. But we have to win." He adds: "I don't want to play for everything in our last game against Italy. They are the best."

Then Bruckner adds that the Czechs had been asked to play pre-WC friendlies against both Brazil and the USA, but now neither will be possible.

One final note: the Czech federation is still scrambling to find a hotel and training base for its Germany stay.

2. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    It's probably unhealthy to get so caught up in what other countries are saying about us.

But with that said, I'm no health nut, so I'll probably be checking this thread daily. ;) :D

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An extremely unpleasent opponent....I like the sound of that.

Yes just ask Mexico!

"C'mon it's not like were going to Moscow...we're going to Czechoslovakia. We go in, grab'em and get right out....it's like going to Wisconsin!"--Pvt. John Winger ;)

4. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

Don't you mean that you'll be "czeching" this thread daily?

God I love it.

5. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Czech coach Bruckner and the Ceska Republika federation didn't reserve a training base, they must not have been too confident about their WC qualifying playoff matches. Granted they probably want some separation from their countrymen during training, but did any European teams train at home prior to the WC in France? If so, the Czechs could easily train in Prague or Karlov Vary (Karlsbad), a resort town on the German border, and hop on a plane and stay for a couple nights before each match. Distance wise, they're probably going to travel about the same distance from a training site in Germany. The Poles, Swiss, French, Dutch and others could do the same, but maybe it's never done for privacy and logistical reasons.

6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Re: Czech Press Report: Late Breaking News!!

This just in:

A Czech newspaper wrote an article in which they actually used vowels! Film at 11...

Thank you, I'll be here all week. ;)

7. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
    This quote is really funny to me. I don't know why. It just is:

"Another thing, then, is the American "nature," according to Licka: "This is a disaster [for the Czechs]. They are very ambitious, very self-confident and what's more, they've actually learned how to play football."
    "

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Re: Czech Press Report: Late Breaking News!!

Parm, look something up in the entertainment section for me. Is Karel Gott still touring?

9. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Thanks for the infomration..... rep coming your way for it.

What was written inthe papers then sure goes against the hope that hte Czech's wouldn't know much about the USA.

If they know the USA National Team is almost like a club, then they do know a lot about our team. Maybe not all the players specifically, but then our team has always been greater than the sum of it's parts under Arena.

10. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover

11. Jayhawk

Jayhawk New Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yeah, who would have thought them damn Yanks could actually learn? :p

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The Czechs really don't have their accomodations in Germany settled?

13. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    I found this quote particularly enlightening...

14. mkb3

mkb3 Member

Jul 11, 2000
    San Francisco
    I think the comparison of the Nats to a "club" team is very apt. A developing player pool, but one that is still pretty small, with many vet Nats having been around each other for a long time and to previous world cups.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They don't really have to. They can stay at home and just take short flights to Germany.

16. rollo

rollo Member

Mar 11, 1999
    San Francisco
    This demands to be a signature :D

17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Yeah, I suppose that's possible. If that's what they were planning to do.

18. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    But they won't. A Fed guy was quoted as saying they will decide this week among six possible places to base the team.

As for Karel Gott, he is truly a Czech Dick Clark. Every year he gets older -- must be pushing 70 -- but looks younger. You know, suspiciously taught face, etc. Apparently he has a new baby on the way from his, um, 25-year-old girlfriend.

God bless Bohemia!

19. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    I know it's from Stripes, but what is the next line?

Sounds like the Czechs won't be pulling a Portugal- if we want to beat them we'll have to do it without the benefit of being underestimated.

This thread is great; I would be grateful to anyone who can read Czech and keep it updated.

20. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard not to like the Czechs and I find that I identify stongly with them as a country. They're hard working, blue-collar people and don't have the arrogance of the Ferench, Germans or Italians. I would like to see the USA and the Czech's go thru with Italy and Ghana goning home. They can have econd ad face Brasil in the next round

21. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover

"I got the s hit kicked out of me in Wisconsin once!"

22. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    The next line....
    John Winger: C'mon, it's Czechoslovakia. We zip in, we pick 'em up, we zip right out again. We're not going to Moscow. It's Czechoslovakia. It's like we're going into *Wisconsin*.
    Russell Ziskey: I once got my ass kicked in Wisconsin.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083131/quotes

23. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Yeah, I have to say I'm pulling for the US to win the group and the Czechs to advance as runners-up. I don't want them eliminated because they're entertaining to watch and their fans in Portugal were pretty funny. Very jovial guys decked out in red with beer bellies and bad hair cuts.

Lol. Thanks for the next line. Repped.

24. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I agree, I have a hard time hating them. Before the draw I was boasting about how I was going to bet on the Czechs. Now I might have to rethink that. :eek:

25. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hello,

since I can read czech press as well, I will join to this thread and will
    follow czech press and inform you about their soccer.

For those who don´t know I speak besides my native German and my horrible English - Czech language as well (due my mother, she come from Prague), a bit french and italian.

So I follow czech press for you!!!

Bltleo
    GERMANY