Possible team name?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Goldenstick, Mar 24, 2005.

1. AshfieldK

AshfieldK Member

Lansing Ignite, Lansing United
    United States
    Aug 18, 2005
    MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the Houston Colt 45s?

Or GWB Houston? :D

2. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    I guarantee it will not be CD America. It may be CF America, but definitely not CD.

CF Aguilas Houston if Club America is the owner. If AEG just picks up and moves the quakes to Houston, it could be anything . . .Houston Humidity FC, Houston Traffic SC, AC Pierce Elevated, Bayou GatorDogs, Houston Proud (for those of you who remember Mayor Tootsie Whitmire), MasterPlan Community Athletic, Strip Center United, Houston SC (SC for Strip Clubbers), Houstontown Roadies (every night would be two beer night, one for the road), Feeder Road Warriors . . .man I miss living down there.

3. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    New here, first post after lurking for a long time.....

I cant believe so many want FC to be apart of our team's name. If this happens, you know we'll here it form a certain team's fans up north (FCD), and rightfully so.

Houston, Originate...dont Duplicate. We follow no one. No "FC" for Houston.

In light of that, heres a name all fans can unite under. All of our fans united form an army proudly representing Houston.

Therefore, the name should be the Houston Armada.

Nuff said.

4. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very nice.

5. AshfieldK

AshfieldK Member

United States
    Aug 18, 2005
    MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, doesn't Armada imply Navy rather than Army?

6. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I dontk know....though it was army, shows how good my Spanish is.

But the name sounds cool and strong, not weak.

7. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    BTW, I see alot of English Preimer League names in that poll. But not one that would fit a franchise in Texas perfectly.

Anyone remember Ipswich Tractor Boys?

That "Tractor Boys" name would fit down here.....atleast better then Rovers or Wanderers.

8. AshfieldK

AshfieldK Member

United States
    Aug 18, 2005
    MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armada could very well be the Spanish word for Army. Makes sense. It just makes me think of the Spanish Armada and - OK I need a Brit here - was it Nelson?

9. AshfieldK

AshfieldK Member

United States
    Aug 18, 2005
    MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about the San Jacinto Monuments? Or something about Sam Houston or the Ship Channel?

10. fnsandpwr

fnsandpwr New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Houston
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Armada

11. AshfieldK

AshfieldK Member

United States
    Aug 18, 2005
    MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right. Drake. Nelson beat the French.

12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Independiente Texas 1836

Spanish language and culture is allowed to shine with Independiente + its a solid soccer name in Las Americas with sides like C.A.I. from Argentina and D.I. Medellin from Colombia. A Latino name needs to have teeth. In my expereince with pro soccer in Houston, the Latinos would want an MLS side to have a name that speaks of the working man and roll off the tounge with a gritty appeal.
    Our unique state, TEXAS, is who we are as a very diverse footie mad people and 1836 is the year our land became its own nation speaks of the fightin' spirit and passion for a casue worth supporting...1836 also shows up FC Dallas and their 1996 claim to fame. North Texas soccer fans love 1996, great for y'all! But South Texas has always been the heart of the Spirit of Texas. San Antonio, Gonzalez, Goliad and San Jacinto were where the fighting was done in 1836. IMHO it would look very cool for MLS to have one of its teams crest with a year in its badge. The reverse sounds good to in Independent Tejas 1836.

IMHO, MLS has to move away from mascot type names that are found in the NBA and NFL. Our soccer league needs to cut its own path and speak of culture and people. As a fan of music, bands have strange names but put out great music. The music brings the diverse people together. MLS officials need to know that the Space theme in Houston is strong, but our city is so much more beyond that image.

13. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Armada = Army
    Fuerza Naval = Navy

Now, Houston Armada... dang that name kicks mucho a55... nice...

Houston Rovers, though, that cannot be beat IMHO. It just rolls off the tongue nicely.

If it ain't Rovers or Armada it will be some goofy crap... just a guess...

14. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston Rovers?

Would our mascot look like...

[​IMG]

...or...

[​IMG]

...or...

[​IMG]

15. Benchwarmer32

Benchwarmer32 New Member

Nov 13, 2003
    Indiana
    Idea here by CeltTexan, just artwork by me. CeltTexan says the club name would be Independiente Texas 1836. Here's the crest, I'm working up some jerseys to go with it.

[​IMG]

By the way, if you have any other ideas for a team name or crest or uniform or whatever and want to see if I can work on them, pm me. Thanks.

16. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^Sweet! I like the historic meaning and tuffness.
    The only problem I see is the color scheme. I love our colors but, the Revs, FC DAllas, and Chivas USA has the colors locked up. I don't see the MLS wanting another red white and blue team colors. Maybe a baby blue and red, ala oilers. Anything too dark would be hard on players in the dead heat of summer. Green and red? :D

17. Benchwarmer32

Benchwarmer32 New Member

Nov 13, 2003
    Indiana
    Here's the uniforms, as close to CeltTexan's design idea as I could get.

[​IMG]

Hope you likes!

18. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^ those are slick, I don't think the MLS would have a problem with them. Althou a white kit would be nice aswell for a home uni. Put the vistors in their dark melting colors in HTown. lol
    Advantage Houston! :D

19. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bench,

What can I say partner...you da man!!! Better than I thought possible with this web site. Did you think of a Third jersey for Inde. Texas???

Blu,

I hear you amigo on the red, white and blue color scheme overlap. I just feel that the jersey is more of a stamp for what the clubs image is. Like River Plate from Arg. is of a red, black and white color scheme...yet their symbol is the red stripe. The Red stripe is what the supporters carry as their icon. So LA Chivas is red, white and blue but their supporters wave red/white striped flags and the like. Same goes for FCD and their new peppermint fashion. The Revs would then be the only MLS club with the same concept of the navy,red and white. But heck! What can be done there...both MLS teams have the U.S. fighting spirit at their core and both bleed the colors of their repective flags. How can a team from South Texas not have the Texas Flag as its core.
    Also in many nations like Arg. or the EPL from what I've seen over the years from Sky and FSC is that in Arg there are several clubs like Newells, River, Estudiantes and so on that all carry Red and Black as their colors...probably even more in the lower leagues. In the EPL I have gathered that Blue/White, All Red and a Red/White stripe kit are very common. The color schemes might be the same several times over, yet it's the way the clubs take the field and perform is what sets the individuality to the franchise.

I would want Team Houston's crest to speak to our unique Latino heritage, bleed the Texas fighting spirit and speak to a modern sense of looking back at how immigrants have always given back to this nation in sacrificing for their new land. Truely, our freedom is not free. And with that core belief, Team MLS Houston WILL BE the first club in MLS to speak to a culture and not just a marketing slogan.

20. csufguy

csufguy BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2004
    LA
    How do you post pics on here? I made a Houston team logo but don't know how to post it.

21. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NAME? Anything but America USA! nuff said! :cool:

22. joebloe888

joebloe888 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    The name will either be "Aguilas USA de Houston" or "Club de Futbol America USA de Houston" if Televisa is involved in any way, shape, or form.

23. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Houston's soccer team should be named Apollo XI.

24. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about: "Club America, Fvck Yeah"

They would already have a catchy team song! :p

25. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had the money I would go with Houston International Soccer/Football Club. Or International Football/Soccer Club of Houston. Either way.

I hate almost every name suggested.

Houston Hurricanes *could* work, but I don't need another Dynamos or silly space sounding names nor oil names.

The problem is that many of the Texas or Houston type names are already taken. Texans, Astros, Comets, Stars, and Rockets and Mavericks, Cowboys, Spurs as well. I do think that 1836 has an appeal to it, but I am just not sure it fits in the MLS theme. I would not call it South Texas 1836 though, Houston 1836 or something might work.

And I think the team in Houston has to be red, white, and blue. Blue and Red hoops would actually be cool, but I think I wouldn't mind a blue shirt with red trim. With the alternate red/blue hoops with white shorts and socks. Would be classy.

This shirt might be interesting:

http://www.football-shirts.net/finf/uploads/1116851970_small-image_parisstgermainhome.jpg
    http://www.eurosport.com/imgbk/footbl/all/big_md-i164860.jpg