Questions for Peter Wilt Version 5.2 - Peter Wilt: Can you feel the love?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by jjayg, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Wilt rules! I've gone up to Milwaukee twice for open cup games, one loss to the Rampage in 2002 and a win over the Wave in 2003. It's a really short drive, and this would give us an instant rival perfect for real derbys. Wilt's inclusion in this project makes it seem very likely that MLS will land in Milwaukee. Such a rivalry will be awesome for the Fire, so this project would benefit the Fire even after Peter's departure.

It also would make Peter into a sort of Midas when it comes to any city wanting MLS expansion. Everything he's done in MLS has worked well. He's been instrumental in Fire personnel, Section 8's reputation around the league, Bridgeview, and the 2005 Treble ;) Neat career to have: MLS Expansion Midwife...

The only downside is that some other team will have the classiest GM in the league--until he goes elsewhere to build another one!

2. Ron Keller

Ron Keller New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Shampoo-Banana
    Is there any truth to the rumor that you are going to move the Riverhounds to Milwaukee, put the stadium on the Pabst site, and call the new team the Milwaukee Beerhounds?

3. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Correct. The Bradley center is downtown, a little bit to the northwest as compared to the center of downtown. The Park East proposed site is another 3-5 blocks away, moving again to the northwest.

4. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Mr. Wilt,

First and foremost, congratulations on the new Milwaukee gig. This will surely be a huge advancement for the game of soccer not only in Milwaukee, but for the rival city of Chicago, and, of course, MLS and the USA.

Secondly, my question:
    What, exactly, must be done to secure a franchise in MLS?

For example, what political victories must be had?
    How many season tickets must be sold, and by when?
    If all goes to plan, when would a Milwaukee franchise be OFFICIALLY introduced into the league?

5. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    MLS needs to formally review the situation in Milwaukee and tell us what we need to provide. It will likely be an attractive stadium lease, a solid lead investor and tangible corporate and fan support.

In our case, the main thing we will need in order to secure the stadium is County and City approvals to purchase the desired stadium and mixed use development site, suitable TIF financing and new market tax credits. The ParkEast site qualifies for both. The county will be looking for formal proposals for the land at the end of 2005. We expect to have the proposal reviewed by the County and the city in the first quarter of 2006, so the earliest we would expect MLS approval would be April, 2006 for April, 2008 stadium and team opening.

peter

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tis truly a sad day for the Chicago Fire and fans of MLS. When will your last day with the Fire be?

I certainly hope that a Peter Wilt appreciation Day is in the works.

I don't suppose Mr. Guppy will lend himself to speaking with us the uninformed masses here will he?

7. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter,

I noticed that the reserve squad played their last game at IIT. I would like to watch a couple reserve games, so I was wondering if this is where they would be playing next week. Also, if the location switches, is there anywhere I can find out where the team is playing on any given week?

Thanks,

Mike

8. Cyclone

Cyclone New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Peter, I am a fanatical Fire supporter, which is my way of saying thank you for making the Fire the greatness that it is. Best of luck getting a new team in Milwaukee.

I am interested whether this project, for lack of a better description, was in the works when AEG named your replacement? I am sure that you were happy to advise any group seeking input on joining MLS, but I'm curious whether it led, in any way, to the Fire loosing you.

Respectfully,
    Bruce

9. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    there is no Fire reserve game next week.

i believe the next one is vs. DC United August 7 and the site is tbd. Check the Fire website and the Fire Insider the week before the game to verify game details.

peter

10. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Pegasus has been working on this project for awhile. i began advising them in March, but it had nothing to do with my departure.

peter

11. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Peter, congratulations on the Milwaukee opportunity. I was still hoping you would be reinstated for the opening of The House That Wilt Built out on 79th Street next summmer. Not to be.
    I don't want to tell my oldest child, the 3 year old raised in section 8, that you are moving to Milwaukee. She thinks everybody is. One of her favorite day care teachers and one of the clerks at my claw firm just moved there. Milwaukee now has a youth hostel, a nice one, in a new Marquette dorm but it is only open in the summer.
    Question. How do some of the MLS players live on the salaries they are paid? Recent press reports have stated that about 30 per cent of MLS players earn less than $30,000 per year and players like Chris Rolfe are earning $16,500. Do they have second jobs? Some were being paid $11,000 and I think you could qualify for food stamps on that.

12. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    thanks.

Free housing, shared rides, per diem, camp instruction,club coaching, paid appearances and some parental support. That's the life of a developmental roster player, usually just one or maybe two years, then they either make the regular roster or move on. Regular roster players all make $30k+.

peter

13. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thank you for your answer.

Also, having no idea what the political landscape is like in the city or county of Milwaukee, how likely is this proposal? Knowing the current alderman in Milwaukee... or the budget for entertainment purposes... and how much money Mr. Greenberg has... Do you honestly expect approval by April, 2006?

Thanks

14. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    it's not a slam dunk. Lot of work, meetings, negotiations etc. needs to be done. We'll also need Wisconsin's soccer community to show they want this team and stadium.

peter

15. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I noticed that you're mentioning Milwaukee for 2008, while MLS has mentioned wanting to expand again in 2007. If it does become a reality, would MLS expand in both years, or just hold off until 2008?

16. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    don't know for sure.

peter

17. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Are you surprised that the other teams in MLS don't have someone in an official position with the team communicating with fans online like you do?

I hope someone from the Fire continues in this capacity after this season.

18. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    yes and no.

* if not done right, it can be a negative
    * i really spend an inordinate amount of "personal" time doing this, which shouldn't be expected of most teams.
    * most teams have different ways to communicate with fans - town halls, on line chats etc.

peter

19. Pygmalion

Pygmalion New Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Bay View, WI
    Mr. Wilt,

Would you happen to know where we could get a good deal on some sod and maybe a couple of goals? We'd like to get a game together on 4th and Juneau. It's a bit full of gravel now. We're hoping to invite some Fire fans up for an inaugural game and would like to avoid skinned knees and broken bones, from the gravel at least. Free grass seed? Maybe sand? Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

20. This may be not the best place to ask, but if PW doesn't set me straight, I'm sure some of the regulars will...

Due to the fact that I have 'spent' a number of family time allocations at early season games, I may not get back to SF. As a result, when I finally got some cash, I decided to get a couple of jerseys off of MLS website -

I feel like I got totally hosed. Long story short - I am not getting my order, and don't feel like I want to try again (yes - that frustrating).

Anyhow - Peter, is there anyone locally with the Fire that I can work with to get some Fire gear without having to go to games? I was specifically looking for one of the blue jerseys with some of the 'official' names and numbers.

Just thought I'd try.
    Thanks Peter for all you do. We will certainly miss you around here, especially as you likely will be leading a close rivalry.

21. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Home Depot Center just installed electronic ad boards. Will Bridgeview have em? I don't know, just curious.

22. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Please contact Kim Walczak at the Fire office. She coordinates Fire merchandise sales and can be reached at 312-705-7200 or KWalczak@Chicago-Fire.com.

peter

23. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    last i heard, the answer was no, but that was a while ago and things may have changed.

peter

24. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Peter, do you have any idea what the concessions will be like as The House That Wilt Built next summer? Like it or not, Americans are fond of eating at sports events and I think the "new" Soldier Field concessions are not as good as at the "old" Soldier Field, where they had pretty decent Polish food, Mexican food and premium beers in cans.
    I also hear a rumor that parking would be around 10 dollars at the Firehoise. I hope so. Charging 18 to 25 dollars for parking is one of the big things hurting attendance this year.
    I'll bet the Kane Coutny and Joliet minor league baseball teams would see attendance plummet if they started charging for parking and if they disrupted their rather good food court experiences.

25. Wolves1935

Wolves1935 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Prospect Heights
    Peter, speaking of sign boards, electronic or not, with the sidelines SO close to the stands will the boards be part of the stadium?