Toronto stadium site...which is better?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CdnBhoy67 redded, Jun 10, 2005.

1. RealGooner

RealGooner New Member

May 2, 2005
    Toronto
    Seems like the Exhibition is back in vogue.....

Ex may get soccer stadium after all
    Waiting on money from province, feds

Quick decision needed for 2007 FIFA tourney

JORDAN HEATH-RAWLINGS
    SPORTS REPORTER

With less than a month to go before the Canadian Soccer Association announces what is hopefully a final location for its 20,000-seat soccer stadium, speculation on that location has come full circle, back to a site first proposed more than two years ago.

But the body governing soccer in Canada is keeping mum about a proposal to place the stadium — which will play host to the FIFA 2007 world youth championship — back on the grounds of Toronto's Exhibition Place.

After all, the CSA has been burned before on this deal.

"There's been a considerable amount of interest in the (Exhibition Place) site ... but we've had two false starts on this thing already, so we really don't want to say anything now," said Kevan Pipe, chief operating officer of the CSA, referring to the original plans to pair the stadium with a new home for the Argos, first on the Varsity site at the University of Toronto and then later on the campus of York University.

Both deals fell through at the last minute, the Argos signed a new deal to remain at the Rogers Centre, and the proposed stadium is now back to being a soccer-only installation.

While other sites making proposals for the stadium include locations in Vaughan, Mississauga and at Toronto's Downsview Park, some members of Toronto's city council are rallying around the Exhibition Place site, which was first proposed in 2002, before the Argos ever entered the deal.

Mayor David Miller is firmly behind the idea of a new stadium on the site, Toronto Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone said yesterday, and has lobbied hard for it in several conversations with members of the CSA.

"And what he hears back is that we are right: this is the most ideal location," Pantalone said.

But time is getting short, he added.

"It should have been done yesterday, as we all know," he said. "But I think there is still enough time."

The CSA has said it will make a decision on where to place the stadium by the end of the month, provided the federal and provincial governments — who had agreed to provide a combined $35 million to the project when it was slated for construction at York University — agree with their choice.

Both levels of government will now need to sign off on the new location and plans before officially announcing their contributions again.

"Without that (government funding), it is not even a discussion," Pantalone said.

But he added that if the Exhibition Place site was chosen before the end of the month, his team would work quickly to be ready with a full report for city council on the logistics of the project.

"If that federal commitment came through and the CSA was interested, we could bring a report to city council by ... the end of September," he said. "We're waiting for a green light from the government before we spend any more of our resources."

If Exhibition Place is to host the stadium, and it is to be ready for the July 1-22, 2007 FIFA tournament, the decision must come soon, Pantalone said.

"I think we have to have a green light or, at least, a red light sometime in the next couple of weeks," he said. If they don't, he said, he doubts Exhibition Place could be made ready in time.

"What will happen then is that Canada will have egg on its face."

2. Forza_Italia

Forza_Italia New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    mississauga
    well good news is that they have a plan :D but as in most cases there is a bad side this one is that they need funding from the canadian governments who is not very generous when it comes to sports expecially if that sport is not hockey :mad:

3. On the positive side the federal government made a commitment to FIFA where a new Toronto area 20,000 seat stadium was concerned as part of the bid that landed the World U-20 Finals in the expectation it would involve the Argos as well. Hence the comment by Joe Pantalone about "egg on its face". If the Canadian federal government fails to live up to its commitment on this it could potentially make future Olympics and other sports tournament finals bids more problematic. A removal of government funding is the sort of thing you expect from a third world country rather than a member of the G8. The mayor David Miller is definitely pro-soccer by all accounts which definitely helps. It would be a lot easier for the Federal government to wriggle out of the commitment where a Vaughan location is concerned on the basis that it isn't Toronto.

4. Breakwood

Breakwood Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Is sure hope they can get a stadium built here, but I'm not holding out too much hope. A stadium in Toronto seems to be the same thing as the NHL. "Hopeful' news but nothing concrete.

5. There have been recent encouraging media quotes from the federal Liberals such as this one:-

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...044529386490&DPL=IvsNDS/7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes

"We're committed to the project, but it's clearly still in an early stage," said Carla Ventin, spokesperson for federal infrastructure and communities minister John Godfrey. "In order for us to move ahead, we need more details."

and this one albeit second hand:-

http://www.yorkregion.com/yr/newscentre/vaughancitizen/story/2829854p-3277009c.html

"I spoke to (federal Citizenship and Immigration Minister) Joe Volpe last week," Mr. Di Biase said. "He is supportive (of building). He said 'We've committed the $25 million for this stadium and it's up to the Canadian Soccer Association to decide where they want it'."

6. Forza_Italia

Forza_Italia New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    mississauga
    im sorry i just have problems trusting this government

7. I usually work on the if it seems to good to be true it probably is sort of approach as well but the obvious time to pull out of this would have been when the York stadium deal collapsed on the basis of Kevan Pipe's "there is no plan B" quotes. Maybe Joe Volpe sees this very much as his legacy project?

8. Forza_Italia

Forza_Italia New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    mississauga
    thats true but if it is his legacy he would probably hold on to it until the last moment but i hope im wrong

9. sinistersam redded

Jun 27, 2005
    Exhibition grounds are the favorite, but didn't they say the same thing about Paris hosting the 2012 summer Olympics...... :D Well Done London :) :)

10. Joe MacCarthy

Joe MacCarthy New Member

Dec 4, 2004
    A new kick at soccer venue
    By ROB GRANATSTEIN -- Toronto Sun

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2005/07/09/1124258-sun.html

Time's running out in the last ditch for a pitch.

Toronto is back in the game to bring a 20,000- seat soccer stadium to Exhibition Place, rather than letting it go to Vaughan or Oakville, but it will have to work quickly.

"Exhibition Place is the perfect location," Mayor David Miller said. "Whether it's possible to do that depends on the federal government because they're the major funder."

The city would offer the site and may have to fill the gap between the $35 million the province, Ottawa and private investors have already committed to and the total cost, expected to be at least $45 million.

"I'm not sure the city can be relied on to do that," Miller said yesterday about filling the potential $10-million gap.

Miller said the deadline has already passed, but without a final location, there's still hope. The stadium has to be ready for the FIFA soccer world youth championship starting July 1, 2007.

Kevan Pipe, the Canadian Soccer Association's chief operating officer, said construction would have to start by year's end.

Councillor Mark Grimes, who has been working feverishly behind the scenes to try and co-ordinate a deal between the city, the federal government and international sports management firm IMG, agrees the Ex is perfect, and the stadium could be used for concerts and even seating for future Molson Indys.

"I said to the mayor there's no way you can let this go to Vaughan," Grimes said, adding that the business case for the stadium works.

Grimes has met with IMG Canada's executive director, Kevin Albrecht, and with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment in a bid to get a deal done. Bob Hunter, MLSE's senior v-p, said the Leafs want to bring a professional Major League Soccer franchise to the city, and a downtown stadium would be a great fit.

11. Resendes

Resendes New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Anyone have an update?

12. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped by this forum to give you guys this piece of info. It's from today's ESPN online chat with MLS commish Garber.

Don Garber: (2:58 PM ET ) 2007 is are target for our next round of expansion with Toronto the frontrunning city. I am traveling to Toronto tomorrow for a meeting with the Maple Leafs board where we hope to get one step closer to finalize a deal in that city. We're still working hard on finalizing the second team, no city leading the pack at this point. Michael, I plan to be with Peter in Milwaukee at some point during the month of August.

I guess he knows something the CSA doesn't. MLSE may be the "private investors" filling in the funding gap for the stadium.

13. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The CSA would know that, as they hold the majority of the funding (through the gov't) for a Toronto stadium.

14. Resendes

Resendes New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Thanks for this, possibly good news.
    The fact that the Leafs are holding a meeting at this time suggests that a stadium deal is very close as the deadline for proposals is at the end of the month.

15. Forza_Italia

Forza_Italia New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    mississauga
    well if there is an mls team they will probably need a new stadium so mlse can help pay for the one that the 2007 wyc will be held in

16. RealGooner

RealGooner New Member

May 2, 2005
    Toronto
    The Ex is now in the driver's seat...

Jul. 28, 2005. 01:00 AM
    Ex site for soccer stadium: Pantalone

JIM BYERS
    SPORTS REPORTER

The Canadian Soccer Association and the city of Toronto agree that Exhibition Place is the best spot for a stadium for the 2007 under-20 world soccer championship. But the city is still waiting for the blessing of the federal government, Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone said yesterday.

"The CSA and the city believe the Ex would be the most successful place for attendance and for the fans," Pantalone said in a telephone interview. "We have had very intense meetings (with the CSA) and my understanding is our position has been communicated to (MP) Joe Volpe's office and others in the federal government in very clear terms."

Pantalone said there's nothing on paper between the city and the CSA but that the two sides have a "general understanding" that the Ex is the site.

His comments yesterday are the first indication that the CSA, which is keeping a tight lid on its plans, has finally chosen a site for the 20,000-seat stadium, which could cost $50 million.

There's been talk of a facility in Downsview, and Oakville also has made a pitch for a stadium.

Pantalone also said for the first time yesterday that the city would be willing to put an undetermined amount of cash into the project. But he said it's all dependent on the federal government handing over the $28 million it pledged for the stadium when it was first proposed at the University of Toronto, then York University. The province also is supposed to kick in $7 million.

Steven Heckbert, Volpe's director of communications, said yesterday that the federal money likely will be available no matter where in the GTA the CSA decides to place the stadium.

"I don't know where those (Exhibition Place) rumours are coming from," he said. "But we have made a commitment to the Canadian Soccer Association that, if they find a group that is willing to build a stadium, with additional funding, that we would be there with federal funds for them."

17. paolodeluca

paolodeluca New Member

Aug 19, 2005
    New Stadium in Toronto

does anyone know what the latest news on whether or not a stadium will be built in Toronto and where?

also - are we getting an MLS team?

http://www.delucasoccerblog.blogspot.com

Edit: I'm going to merge this with another thread as it's been oft discussed, have a look around.

If you're looking for announcements one of the best places is the CSA website late on a Friday afternoon. I'm actually waiting now for the new CSA TD announcement.

MLS thread here
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225586

Lots of info on both topics around the board.

18. Black and White

Black and White BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 23, 2005
    Canada
    Lets go to the EX now lets go to the EX

19. Still to be determined. The latest was a Globe and Mail story that was quite downbeat about the prospects (a few days after an upbeat Gerry Dobson had made it sound like an announcement was imminent on Soccercentral) because the federal politicians want it to be at Downsview, while the City of Toronto wants is at Exhibition Place and the argument between them appears to have become quite bitter:-

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050816.wxsoccer16/BNStory/Sports/

If things don't work out and the Vaughan proposal is also a non-starter for WYC 2007 the only possible plan B and it's a long shot is maybe at Lamport stadium:-

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7653
    http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.638626,-79.423396&spn=0.004860,0.005450&t=k&hl=en

which the Argos once talked about using:-

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...09_22797144?hub=CTVNewsAt11&subhub=PrintStory

Worth noting that the Colorado Rapids new stadium will have 18,500 rather than 20,000 seats:-

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233499&page=1

20. Black and White

Black and White BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 23, 2005
    Canada
    No way Lamport is a viable option. Have you ever been there?
    There is no room to do anything. It is boxed in on all sides.
    I recall watching the Metros play there in the 70's and have played there my self. It had the worst quality turf in the world.

No no Lamport.

21. La Rosa Morreti

La Rosa Morreti New Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Downsview is the winner. Anounced in the Toronto Star today.
    20K facility to be built at Downsview. Way to go . Finally a stadium for Soccer for Toronto. No more having to play in pits.

22. toronto_sports_1 redded

Sep 15, 2005
    Ontario
    the ground breaking for this stadium to be built for the start of the wyc in 07
    had to be by the first week in October of this year. Guess what times running
    out on that deadline and as i predicted months ago this project just won't
    happen, the CSA has screwed this up from day one from getting involved with
    the Toronto Argos. Better luck next time CSA, if fifa give you another shot at hosting a tournament, not likely.