The Summer 2005 Transfer Speculation And News Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by 655321, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    He can also play as a full back.

2. kevin mcdonald fan

kevin mcdonald fan New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    I mean this in all seriousness - id rather have Emile Heskey back rather than Peter Crouch. I Love Rafa but this is a strange one, can only imagine he has an idea to play him as he did John Carew at Valencia

3. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    kuijt would be available for 10 mil? or 8? you're not clear...and pounds or euros

and feyenoord would rather have dirk than the cash, i bet.

4. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Actually, Benitez never really fancied Carew and it was under him that his exit from the club (finalised last week when his loan to Besiktas turned into a permanent deal to Lyon) began.

I'm still hanging on to the hope that this link will turn out to be an elaborate smoke screen and/or a bad dream.

5. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Figo going to Liverpool? "Marca" is reporting that possibility.

6. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I heard a good shout from someone who is usually right with these things here locally yesterday that the Figo deal is actually going to happen. It was widely believed before hand that his wage demands would prove prohibitive to most clubs, Liverpool included. But it appears that this has led to a distinct lack of interest in the player and he and his agent have had to re-evaluate accordingly. As a result, he has apparently accepted an offer of a one-year deal on £50k/week with an option of a further year on a performance-related pay rise at the end of that first 12 months.

A press conference is to be held tomorrow in any case (stevie signing) so who knows - there may be more news.

7. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really nice to have someone around here who is in the know as it were. Thanks Matt.

8. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Heh. Well don't blame me if it turns out to be bobbins. ;)

Although the Figo stuff is in the Echo now too - apparently a deal with the player was done and dusted and ready to be announced, but now Real Madrid have turned around and asked for a £2m fee. Cheeky bastards. Figo is furious, apparently, as Liverpool won't go anywhere near the deal on those terms.

9. stanaccrington

Jan 4, 2005
    Could Figo turn out to be another Baros always promising but never quite hitting the 100% button, what I saw on TV this year was the fact he spent more time rolling around as if he had been hit by a sniper then actually producing still with a good manager this may change. Also saw this in the echo.... As the Figo deal faces deadlock, Benitez is edging closer to securing the services of Southampton's Peter Crouch and Valencia's Mohammed Sissoko.
    Crouch has a lot of skill on the ground for a big guy but is he tough enough he's not built like Toshack and doesn't put himself around like the thug that plays for Everton, just can't see how Rafa is going to use him.

10. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It doesn't make any sense that Madrid are trying to block this deal now. I thought they wanted Figo off of their wage bill, and Liverpool are willing to take him. Apparently Figo realized that there wasn't much interest in him so he lowered his wage demands to make an agreement with Rafa. If Madrid don't let this deal go through, they will have an unhappy player on huge wages back in their squad next season.

11. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, RM could have me then, I'd be smiling all year long on Figo's wages! ;^)

12. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Figo, Crouch, hmmm, I hope both deals fall through. :(

13. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    So we won't touch 2 mil for Figo, but we've upped our bid for Crouch to 8 mil, when S'hampton turned down 6 mil???

14. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we have to begin to take a panoramic view of the striker situation:

Reds currently have Baros, Cisse, Sinama Pongolle, Le Tallec, Morientes, and, depending on your view, Mellor.

Of these, three are prospects, or depth players. There is no real partnership, and Baros, while having loads of potential, has been cold porridge more often than not.

Crouch doesn't seem a good match with anyone but Cisse, maybe with Baros, but he's a puzzle ( Baros ).

15. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    What is 'weekly wage', exactly? Every week that they play football? Or every week that they are signed with the club? I'm confused on how to calculate how much a weekly wage would be total over a year.

16. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I would guess that it takes up all 52 weeks of a year. Because when you think about it, the only real month they have off is June. Every other month, they're playing matches.

17. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    What about the international break weekends?
    See it gets a little technical.

18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Maybe Rafa is trying to replicate the partnership Baros had with Koller in Euro 04? I always thought having Koller draw defenders and open up space was the key to Baros' success in the tournament.

19. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I highly doubt that, at this level, they have technicalities like that. It's unlikely that big clubs like Liverpool would be such tightwads with their money. Now, if you go in the lower leagues, it's probably a different story.

20. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    I think Jan Koller is a more dangerous attacker than Peter Crouch, the Soton Stork. Does Koller have better pace than Crouch, better off the ball? I'm not certain...

He is taller than Crouch, were that possible ;)

21. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Do you get paid when your off sick or on holidays?

22. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    So Real want £2m for Figo? Wasn't Nunez valued at that for the Owen deal? Guess what I'm thinking...........? :D

23. stanaccrington

Jan 4, 2005
    Well seemingly Kewell does. :)

24. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    speaking of kewell... what becomes of him now that there are all these wingers? (depending on wether or not we sign figo)
    would anybody want him? have there been any rumors?