The Off-Season Near News and Rumors Thread :: Part I

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Re: The Off-Season Near News and Rumors Thread

"I speak English better than Jaime Moreno speaks Spanish." - Marco Etcheverry, 2002.

2. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999

This is PN's team. To bring back Etcheverry might create a subtle power struggle between head coach and his assistant. I'd love to see Etcheverry back with DCUnited, but in an admin position, or a supporting role not involved with the team on the field. I think there was the same problem with Harkes coming back to DCUnited at the beginning of the season. However, call it Payne's genius, he found him a coaching position with the youth. Also, Harkes is being looked at as a possible coach for Rochester. If Harkes accepts the role, then Etcheverry could step in. On the other hand, with the reserve side being create, Etcheverry as the Reserve Team Coach, might be another option.

3. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

Pure speculation on your part or inside information?

4. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999

A little of both.

Everyone knows that KP wants Etcheverry back. Etcheverry wants to come back. However, Etcheverry feels he can still play a couple more seasons. If the right set of circumstances were created for Etcheverry he might finally officially retire. Remember that Etcheverry attempted to establish a Youth Academy in the area. It's clear that he enjoys the training/teaching process for footballers. Also, he's said that he wants to coach someday. The learning curve would be much easier with the Reserve Team.

As for inside information, he was mentioned around mid-summer when the idea of roster expansion started up. I was talking with someone at a practice and we were speculating one the "hows' and whats'" with the Reserve Team. I mentioned I thought Etcheverry would be ideal and this person agreed. The person expanded on Etcheverry's strengths as a footballer, but admitted that he would need to learn how to be a coach.

5. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

If Soehn did get the job, I would rather it be Harkes that comes in as the number 2 and Etch takes over Harkes' spot as well as serving as a "soccer ambassador" sort of figure. But I think Nowak should be given a free hand whne picking his assistant and reserve staff.

Question: would the reserves be coached by the #2 or would there be a reserve team coach?

6. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999

That's a good question, but it can't be answered until we know exactly what the league decides to do with the reserve teams. You've got to remember that the reserve teams aren't really reserve teams, they are just the bench players for the first team. The will practice with the first team everyday. They will compete with first team players for spots on the starting eleven. Nowak will run those practices as he did all of 2004. Most likely Nowak will have a large imput into who plays where on the reserve side. However, there is the possibility, very slight, that the reserve games will be played on off-days, maybe Mondays. If that is the case, Nowak might not be able to attend all of the reserve games, which would lead to to some sort of arrangement with either a #2 or a true reserve coach. I would believe that with the increase in number of players to 28 total, there will be a need to another assistant coach with the responsibility of monitoring the reserve side.

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... Etcheverry as Nats Assistant? ...

From the realm of pure speculation ...

So we're talking about Etcheverry and the possibility of him coaching somewhere. OK. Try this on for size.

We all know about Bruce Arena's comments a few years ago that Etcheverry would make a good coach and there was even some chatter about him becoming an assistant of some sort on the national team once his playing days were over. Sure, a lot of this was probably just idle talk, but nonetheless ...

Well, what if Onalfo gets the Colorado job? Then Arena needs a new national team assistant. I'd think that gig beats coaching an MLS reserve or youth team hands down.

8. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Re: ... Etcheverry as Nats Assistant? ...

Stephen was asked about a tribute match prior to the equip sale today. He said Etch isn't ready to hang up his cleats yet, which is what they are "waiting" for. Probably would be the same for the a coaching position.

-dave

9. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

on a tangental note, this reserve-team system may be a real boon to coaching in the US. It has the potential to give guys like Nowak, who have a big question mark by his name (the knock on him b4 he came here was that he had not coached before), the opportunity to get their feet wet before taking on a full MLS side.

I would bet the reserve coach will be something like a #3, or maybe #2b. They would have to have similar ideals and systems to the main team. you couldn't, for example, have the full squad playing a 352 and the reserves playing a 442. If a day comes when a reserve needs to be called up he has to learn a whole new system.

10. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002

Don't know if this has been said yet but, Peter Wilt said the reserve team will consist of players who played 20 minutes or less in the last league game.

11. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Not that far fetched Knave. In some of the conversations I've had with Marco he has mentioned Bruce often. If offered I would bet the farm that Marco would jump at the chance. They have a really close relationship and this is definately in the realm of possibilities. Of course the people in Bolivia will crap themselves but the FBF has been shooting themselves in the foot for years now.

12. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not only coaching, but this could also be used to bring officials along as well.

13. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

From Goff's latest article in the WP.

14. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

Hopefully Gomez is spreading the word that the "paychecks come on time" here.

15. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999

Freakin' rumor mongers! Did you ever feel like such a dumb-ass for not seeing the obvious?

16. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002

Also says Gomez will earn 200,000 and Petke is close to resigning.

17. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Please make that "re-signing" next time. :)

18. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

good point

19. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC

Can ya post a link for those of us too lazy to visit the WP site on our own? :)

20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just wanted to mention the following DC United story--

Yesterday, I was walking back from my son's bus stop talking to a guy from our neighborhood. We were talking about our kids, his health problems (bad car accident), the usual suburban stuff. Then--I guess prompted by my DCU cap--he just blurted out "Hey, how about DC United!" He went on to talk about how kickass they were at the final and how they dominated the game.

This guy isn't a big soccer fan, either--just a local who wanted to support a local team in a championship game. His father-in-law watched the game,too--the first soccer game he'd EVER watched, and apparantly he thought it was exciting.

Cool stuff!

21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Agoos Back to DC United?

From the Quakes board:

22. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA

Goose would have to low salary to come back here in my opinion.

23. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wonder if he could adequately fill the substitute center back slot that the departure of EZ has left open?

24. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United

No, but put him in on the left and move Petke to the middle and we don't look half bad. Agoos still has the service and wheels to play on the left, and I certainly wouldn't mind his service on freekicks or corners.

25. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

It would be nice to have Goose back, maybe make him a player-coach to hide some salary. I'm sure he could teach Freddy a thing or two on lefty services.