Should Spain be banned?

Discussion in 'Spain: National Teams' started by BridgeMonkee, Nov 22, 2004.

1. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Racism is rife in Spainish Football.

Aragones has not condemned it - it's as if he agrees with it. If you don't condemn it then then you must condone it.

Blatter: "I am sad about these new expressions of racism in a stadium that has been a temple of football and I cannot understand that, and I say in the name of Fifa, I apologise."

Blatter said possible sanctions could include a ban for the Spanish football team.

A BAN FOR THE TEAM??!! Now do you begin to realize how serious this is?

Aragones is guilty. Spain is guilty. The only question left is what the punishment shall be.

Would a ban be too much or is it the most appropriate action?

2. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  3. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    A good article but somewhat misinformed on certain aspects on the issues. No-one with any sense believes that Spain as a country are racist - that is just stupid.

The ongoing issue appears to have revolved around the lack of activity (or concern apparently) of the governing bodies to deal with the unacceptable minority. This point was well covered in the article.

As to the original question? AFAIK this is the first real incident of a mass racist episode with the Spanish NT. As such I think a fine on the governing body and possibly the next WC Qualifier to be played behind closed doors would easily be sufficient to send the message that what occurred last week was unacceptable.

Talks of banning the team are reactionary at this stage - if these incidents continue then you have to rethink but for now I think the afore mentioned penalties will serve their purpose.....

4. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I wouldn't find that unfair, specially the fine to the FA would be the most useful measure, so they start to actually do something about racism at club level and tell the coach to mind his words (I don't thing he should be sacked)

5. MOGG

MOGG New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Ireland
    NO, No, no no no no no no,Yes well no i do not think that Spain should be banned, this is being treated as if there has never been a problem with racism in football and just because it happens against the English national team they all of a sudden think the other team should be banned and i think that this is outrageous... Are you trying to say that you have never heard racist chants before, if every team who's supporters were racist at least once were banned we wouldn't have any teams left at all...The main problem with the English is that they are English and this is why they are being abused, Do the people of England not realise that nobody likes them,not the Spanish, not the Irish, not the scottish, Nobody likes the English

THANK YOU

6. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    And this is the perfect place for a crude attempt at a sockpuppet to provide a further example of racism....

7. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Bíonn dhá insint ar scéal agus dhá leagan déag ar amhrán

I think this might be a Spanish poster in disguise? :D

I think a BAN is too strong, but the fact that Blatter and Fifa are considering a ban goes to show how serious this situation is.

Btw - The real problem is there are no structures in place in Spain for dealing with the racist "minority". In the UK there is a hotline and phone number to call and report incidents at games and there really are very few. I would say the UK is far more cosmopolitan society these days, you need only look at the team sheets.

8. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I love this, an Englishman calling for a ban on Spain for racist chants when England fans routinely make racist chants like "I'd rather be a **** than a(n) (insert nationality)" when visiting foreign countries.

If they banned every nation for the actions of their fans, they wouldn't be able to hold a World Cup.

9. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Where exactly does an Englishman call for a ban here?

10. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    1. Nobody is calling for a ban. Sepp Blatter said a ban might be a possibility and was something that was being considered by Fifa. The more likely outcome is that Spain would be forced to play the games behind closed doors until such time that they can control the crowds to a certain degree. At present they are waiving swastikas around and not a single action has been taken against anyone. The appropriate authorities – Spanish FA, the Clubs, the Police - are not in control of their own stadiums at this point in time.

2. This is a discussion about a specific incident or rather a string of incidents they have taken place in Spain recently. If you think English fans say things like that please take the matter up in the England National team forum of this web site for discussion and/or with Fifa. At present the only nation in the world that Fifa is considering banning for racist behaviour is Spain.

3. There were thousands of Spanish racists in the stadium last week and how many were arrested for racist behaviour? By contrast, two men have been arrested over racist abuse aimed at Dwight Yorke during Sunday's Premiership match at Blackburn, Lancashire Police announced today. The real problem in Spain is that there are NO measures in place to deal with an unruly racist crowd. The situation in Spain is quite literally out of control.

11. OptiOne

OptiOne New Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Va
    banned b/c of their fans is unfair

12. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Reallyyyyyy!!!? And the killing of 100s of thousands of innocent Iraqi woman and children for the last couple of years is a secondary thing!!
    Please.....
    There are no worse than the Brits on this cruel earth.

13. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, if you're using THAT criteria, shouldn't you be calling Americans the worst?
    :rolleyes:

14. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Americans are the worst ofcourse but the English invented them, so there it goes.

15. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Less than a week after England's controversial defeat in Spain was marred by visiting players suffering racist abuse from the stands, the Bernabéu Stadium was the scene of similar incidents as Real Madrid drew 1-1 with Bayer Leverkusen last night.

Uefa could now take action if the referee or its delegate reports last night's events. It could also examine television footage.

Leverkusen's black defender Roque Junior was the target last night.

Observers reported seeing members of the crowd making Nazi salutes and hearing abuse when the centre-back was involved in the game.

16. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmmm. Perhaps you should try that argument with Native Americans, or Americans descended from immigrants. I'm thinking you'd get nowhere with them, either. Try again. :rolleyes:

17. MOGG

MOGG New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Ireland

18. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    We're talking about Soccer here not World Politics. What our President chooses to do does not reflect all of America. Besides we are not a racist country anymore. Most of the sports teams here are half African-American players. You would never ever ever see fans doing Nazi salutes in a stadium. Those spanish fans are disgusting, but I don't criticize the whole country I criticize those fans. I think the fans individually should be punished, not Spain or the club that the fans come to. They should be banned from football stadiums for the rest of their lives. Simple, easy solution.

19. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Wow, you amaze me! No racism in America? I see….. Ok.....
    Could you please explain to me how are you going to "individually punished" fans that are sitting in a stadium that hold 80-100 thousand people?? Please, I would love to hear it.

I love how all the Caucasian American/ English fans want to save the black man; leave it to the freedom fighting, world saving imperialist to save the black man from the evil Spanish soccer fan!!
    Hey, they only made monkey noises (witch is disgusting, I agree) but we don’t beat them to death on our streets (American police), we don’t pack them in jails, infest their neighborhoods with drugs, I could go on for pages.
    Your history is well known to whole world, your present is disgusting and you future doesn’t look much better.
    I learned to live with it, most American are nice people, but just like any other country they have a$$holes.
    We have them in Spain too, LIVE WITH IT.
    MOVE ON!!

20. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That’s cause most white people are scared to death of getting the sh!t beat out of them, don’t forget that half of the fans in American sports are also black, I would like to see those coward Spanish supporters that where making monkey noises do it in front of a black crowd!!
    Everybody knows the Americans are “behind closed doors racists” that goes for black Americans too.
    America is waiting to racially explode, it just a matter of time, remember the LA riots?

21. Minduchio

Minduchio Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That is so true.

22. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The argentines, the Arabs (all Arab countries), French, Germans, Turks most of Asian and South American countries and not to forget their sons in the US, the Russians, Indians and the list can go on till probably every country is mentioned.
    Not to forget Africa (the whole continent) just 2 years ago (the white English farmers) were being hunted and killed by the natives for their stolen land.
    I personally have always liked the English tourist, I thought they were nice open minded people, its tough being English these days because the whole world still remembers the rape and slavery they suffered from them.
    The Spanish are not much better in that department, they had their part in raping the world but we are not nearly as hated as the English.

23. BlackFrenchBoy

BlackFrenchBoy New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    There are no racists at football games in England and France this does not happen in the stadiums in England and France. There are many black players in English and French teams. In Spain there are not so many black players and the Spanish fans are racist supporters. They make Nazi salutes; make monkey chants and wave swastikas at the games. This does not happen at English and French or German or American games, this only happens at Spain games and we know because we can see it. We saw the Nazi salutes and swastikas with our own eyes and we heard the racist chants of the Spain supporters. The Spanish people say it did not happen but we all saw it and we heard the manager of Spain say racist words on TV.

The French and the English were not the worse colonials; the worse colonials were the Spanish conquistadores. The Spanish conquistadores and the Spanish inquisition were the most racist and the most violent the world have ever known. This is historical facts.

24. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ¿Wasn't Zidane rumored to quit the French team when there was a big chance that a majority of the French people would vote for the racist Le Pen in their elections?

Or was this one of those rumors that wasn't true, you know, at that time when the French people were going to vote for a racist to lead their country.

Link

Hey, muslim women wearing their in-tune with fashion headwear is forbidden in many places in France isn't it? Imagine that.

There are 'no' racists in football in France (or England) though. :D

25. BlackFrenchBoy

BlackFrenchBoy New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Fifa are investigating racist crowds in Spain and the violent racist supporters in Spain, they are not investigating or thinking of banning French national team or French clubs. So you’re statement is correct.

I think the Spanish coach should be dismissed and the Spain team banned. They are proven racists and they have no place in soccer.

The Spanish posters here are always defending their racist coach and their racist supporters this is because they are ultras and racists.