I want to hear what Cristian Gomez thought of RFK

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by MightyMouse, Nov 8, 2004.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to hear it from Cristian Gomez as to what he thought of the atmosphere of RFK and what level it was at compared to some of the Argentinian games he's played in. I love reading that kind of stuff even if its just a, "yeah, it was like the Bombonera... well... half of the Bombonera..."... :)

2. dale_wilster

dale_wilster Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Cochabamba, Bolivia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It was nice, but it was no Bombonera (even a regular season game). I can't imagine what a Boca-River game would be like. When I went to see Boca-Lanus, it was the best sports atmosphere I have ever been to, including RFK Saturday night.

3. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem for us who regularly show up at United games is that we'll be measuring every match against Saturday's...and they aren't all gonna be like that.

4. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but if you keep reminding the quiet-siders near you, perhaps they will become acquainted with passionate support like they showed Sat. night.

GM

5. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this match will go down in lore for as long as dc exists. mark my words.

6. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    River-Boca was on over weekend, we have to drink a lot more milk to grow to that madness. It's one of few matches featuring teams I don't root for that I want to see in person before I die.

You can't really compare MLS to Argentinian club football, that's top percentage of world as far as support goes.

His last club was Arsenal, here's few pics of La banda del Beto, Arsenal's hinchada (and remember that's not one of big clubs)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    PS If you want to compare it to atmosphere of Boca, River, Racing, Independiente etc just go to http://www.barra-bravas.com.ar/ and look into Primera Division. If you want to compare us at least a bit then go into Primera D pictures (nothing wrong with that, I usually look for practical ideas in pictures of small groups cos we can pull that off :)

Imagine how many times you'd hear hey can you sit down in front with all the huge flags, smoke, balloons, overhead flags that stretch for half stadium, people all over each other :D

8. jlm120170

jlm120170 New Member

Dec 14, 2003
    maryland
    Not sure of what he may think of RFK but ill tell you what I think of him. After the game me and fellow Nortenos waited after the game buy the gate were the players parked there cars.While the players would drive by with there cars coming out we cheered them on.Only Gomez and fellow bros who stayed out there know was the only one who came to us before he went to his truck and with his family he came to us to thank us personaly.Even the little girl with him I think his daughter even banged on the drum.He didnt have a nice car like some of the other players and from the way he has been playing, United i hope pay him well come next season he deserves it

9. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in Santiago, Chile last week and got to attend the classico universario between the University of Chile and Catholic University. I sat in the U of C section and it was total madness! Something like being in the Barra times about 500 but with a Maximum-Security prison vibe thrown in. I've never seen so much chain link, barbed wire and metal spike-topped fencing before. The riot police were a nice touch. But Holy Crap can those fans lay down some awesome chants - and the whistling! I've never heard such a thing. It was out of this world. I can only imagine what Boca-River would be like after that. I was so busy watching the fans I almost forgot to watch the game. :D

10. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who's watched much European or South American soccer knows that we have a long, long way to go before we compare. Watching the clip of DaMarcus Beasley's Champions' League goal for PSV Eindhoven last week, I can't imagine how good it must feel for him to go from the type of crowd support in MLS to the levels of crowd support there.

But that's not meant as disrespect for us. Because anyone who's watched U.S. soccer over the last decade and a half or so and can remember how things used to be knows how incredibly far we've come in that time. We may have a long way to go; but we've come pretty damned far in a fairly short period of time.

11. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    At the end of the Spanish Radio broadcast (before the trophy presentation) they interview Gomez.

I dont have time to translate now but you can listen to the feed off MLSnet .com and if you know spanish, perhaps can throw up a translation. Mostly they ask him about the goal, though.

12. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    exactly, nowhere to go but up (in DC at least :p )

13. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I'd say DC is actually one of the few places that actually has room to go down. ;)

not that we'll let it!

14. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Being a big River fan and passing up a match between River and Independiente for next week, I can tell you that the atmosphere at RFK was nothing to be ashamed of.

Christian was interviewed on Univision and was stoked after the game. (IMHO, his goal was one of the best live goals I've ever seen)

If you look at the replay of his goal, there are two huge Argentinian banners next to the Barra that rock right after his goal.

He's happy to be here and so am I. He's the reason Jaime can be Jaime in my book.
    btw, I've been to the Bonbonera and we have a LOOOOONG way to go to match those locos.

15. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Exactly.

I still don't think he has been 100% since being sick, so hopefully he will be able to get completely fit this week and take over the game on Sunday.

16. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    i don't think the point is to measure up to the argentinian clubs...face it we have a long way to go before any of mls clubs can sniff at the standard of boca, river or independiente....the point is that as the BEST team in MLS we showed that we have the BEST support....if the best team in MLS had crap support then soccer in general would be a lost cause here....but the showing on saturday is one of the seeds that will produce the future packed houses in the future for MLS....each person that went to that game will have that memory and will pass it down to their loved ones who'll at least give MLS a chance due to the respect of the impression the game left on you guys...i bet you gomez thought that this group of fans provided a larger than normal turnout for an important game and screamed out its lungs for its beloved team to win....this was a professional crowd for a professional game and i'm pretty sure gomez will be happy to get his paycheck on time knowing that he plays the game for a crowd that cares

17. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I just got an email from Gomez, translated through Babelfish:

"He was so convite to play in front of the great ventilators in RFK Saturday. The demonstration such passion and helps. It is amazing truth and easily the best crowd of this country. East master country. I have taste that the checks are opportune also. It is a great relevación to play sometimes in front of the ventilators that do not threaten their life, during the game. And those are the homemade ventilators. Joy of the passion of soccer. Nevertheless, joy having not to avoid the concrete rock showers whereas it plays soccer. It is a safe place to play in RFK. There is very small occasion that the stage will take the fire. Also, it is far better for the lungs not to play in a cloud of the pungent smoke. The God Blesses, Christian"

18. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You must spread some yada yada yada TEConnor

BRILLIANT! :D

19. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    :D:D:D

Tim, you need to pace yourself as I repeatedly come up with this "You must spread some yada yada yada TEConnor".

20. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Got it covered.

21. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And God bless Babelfish!!! East Master Country and great ventilators... sweet Jesus we have new banners.

If this email is true though I can see he is happy to be playing for a passive crowd that is not putting people's lives at risk. I have seen the human avalanches of the Bombonera, I have seen the enormous amounts of fireworks, smoke, and flying objects onto the field. DC must have been a small taste of what an English style of crowd is like for Gomez... lively, boisterous, and festive but not out of control like it can get in Argentina. It is an interesting insight about how safe he feels playing in the US as compared to Argentina.

22. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    That's not fair, how come I did not get that e-mail! ;)

23. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Speaking as one of the ventilators at the game, I'd say that the atmosphere at RFK was terrific - Gomez may be used to more madness, but he also said its nice to not have to worry about rocks and smoke bombs -

As for size of RFK's lower bowl crowd of 21K and most USA SSS sizes, MLS is not as big as the biggest clubs in Argentina, Brazil or the big countries in Europe - But we are on a par with the lower clubs - I found these stadium sizes in the Argentina league - (the link is probably a few years old - I can't imagine Arsenal is as big as River or Boca - probably around 30K) - And Bayern Leverkeusen (a top-flight club in Germany) has a stadium of only 22K !!!

I think the madness will get better in SSS's

Also - I kinda stunk that the players weren't ushered around for autographs after the game - But Gomez was excited enough to throw his warm-up jacket to someone lucky

John L
    A Proud Ventilator of DC United

RIVER PLATE (A.V. Liberti): 76.687
    RACING CLUB (President Perón): 64.161
    BOCA JUNIORS (La Bombonera): 60.245
    INDEPENDIENTE (De La Doble Visera De Cem.): 57.901
    VÉLEZ SARSFIELD (José Amalfitani): 49.747
    TALLERES DE CORDOBA (Chateau Carreras): 48.878
    BELGRANO DE CORDOBA (Chateau Carreras): 48.878
    DE CORDOBA (Chateau Carreras): 48.878
    HURACÁN (Tomas Aldolfo Duco): 48.314
    ROSARIO CENTRAL (El Gigante De Arroyito): 41.654
    SAN LORENZO (Pedro Bidegian): 40.000
    BANFIELD (Banfield): 34.551
    QUILMES ATLETICO CLUB (Estadio Centenario): 32.000
    NEWELL’S OLD BOYS (Coloso del Parque): 42.000
    ARGENTINOS JUNIORS (Atlanta Stadium): 31.100
    DEPORTIVO ESPAÑOL (Nueva España): 31.000
    PLATENSE (Ciudad De Vicente López): 31.000
    LANÚS (Lanús): 30.500
    COLÓN DE SANTA FE (Brigadier López): 30.000
    ESTUDIANTES (Luis Jorge Hirschi): 28.000
    FERROCARRIL OESTE (Arq.Ricardo Etcheverry): 24.268
    GIMNASIA JUJUY (23 De Agosto): 23.000
    UNIÓN DE SANTA FE (15 De Abril): 22.300
    CHACARITA JUNIORS (Gutierrez): 21.000
    GIMNASIA LP (El Bosque): 20.461
    HURACÁN DE CORRIENTES (Beron De Astrada): 15.700

24. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Geese People!!

I faked it. You think a player is going to send me an email? Me? Why?

Tim

25. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno you punk! I thought maybe you were some friend or something!!! ARRR!