Rapids Roster

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by GoRapids, Sep 15, 2004.

1. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    "to be discussed" would have allowed my simple mind to comprehend then. thanks.

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not trying to say anything bad about you. Cool it.

3. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Sorry if you construed my post directed against you, try reading it again. It wasn't. It was directed against socceramerica and myself. I'm still confused that the quote makes any sense in English grammar to me. Looks like a typo to me but I was hoping someone could explain to me if it isn't. Seriously, nothing but self-deprecation and a question. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries, I was chalking it up to a type-o.

5. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    So who goes unprotected in the expansion draft?

6. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    i know alot of the young players will want to be unprotected if they don't get adequate new contracts...

7. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    So will Roberts and Powell be back? Martinez and Delgado will both be SI's. So one of these players has to go and only one can be left unprotected? (not sure if 24 y/o TI's count against unprotect at most 1 SI rule). Trembly finally graduate p40? Protect Spencer for his allocation?

Is it time for Chung & Henderson to retire? Don't think either can go strong for 90 minutes anymore.

Looks like there'll be some cap room available next year. Hopefully there'll be some free SI room to get someone who can actually contribute. 3 discoveries and spencer allocation I think

de la Torre to Chivas somehow? not sure if injured but he hasn't been used this postseason

Hopefully Cila will improve and can be part of the answer. Not convinced Beckerman will be good enough to take the team all the way

Protect for sure:
    Borchers
    Cannon (duh)
    Cila (if graduated from developmental)
    Crawford
    Mastroeni

Probably protect
    Beckerman
    Kotschau
    Peguero

Have to protect:
    all SI's but one

Graduating? not sure if protect
    Lewis
    Trembly

haven't decided for the rest of the roster, probably would keep Sullivan though I haven't seen him play much

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In no way should Beckerman be protacted, especially if Hankinson is not fired. Beckerman has killed more attacks than the rest of the team combined it seems. This may be bacise Hankinson has stifled him so much that he's lost his confidence, but he's got to prove himself all over again at this point, and that's best done somewhere else.

Other than that I agree with your list, though if Hankinson stays around Pablo should be moved (traded/transfered) as he's another player who isn't used effectively in Hankinon's system.

9. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 2005 - Rapids Roster

A sensible, well thoughtout, worthy post. That's calling it like it is!!!

My roster choices cuts somewhat deeper. It is:

**Senior Roster (limit 18)**

1. Zizi Roberts (SI that doesn't count due to injury) - GONE!

*** Senior Internationals (age 25 or older)
    2. John Spencer - GONE!
    3. Daryl Powell - GONE!
    4. Alberto Delgado - GONE!

***Transitional/Youth Internationals (younger than age 25)
    5. Rey Angel Martinez- 24 - GONE!

*** and...
    6. Kyle Beckerman
    7. Nat Borchers
    8. Joe Cannon
    9. Mark Chung
    10. Matt Crawford
    11. Antonio de la Torre
    12. Joey Digiamarino - GONE!
    13. Chris Henderson
    14. Ritchie Kotschau
    15. Pablo Mastroeni
    16. Jean Philippe Peguero
    17. Jeff Stewart - I doubt that he will recover from his injury and therefore will be - GONE!
    18. Scott Vallow - Either Foss or Vallow - GONE!

**Developmental Roster** limit 6 (P-40 or age 23 and younger)
    Jordan Cila - 22
    Michael Erush - 21
    Bryon Foss - 24 (now) - Either Foss or Vallow - GONE!
    Garry Sullivan - 22
    Ricky Lewis P-40 - 22
    Seth Trembly P-40 - 22 - GONE! - Elsewhere another poster reminds us that players develop after age 22. Certainly true. Although the cut-off used was U-20 (not 23) in acquiring these statisitcs, only 9% of the players in the 1994 World Cup had representing their country as youth players.

Nevertheless, at 22 y/o Trembly remains the same immature brat that joined MLS at U-17. He has not progressed in technique, tactics nor ability to play under pressure. His value to the Rapids is nil!!!

IMO the Rapids need a complete International overhaul, a new coach and new GM.

10. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    When thinking about the roster next year ... there are things that need to be considered.

The #1 thing to consider is the fact that they plan on expanding rosters. So can we really afford to just CUT a player like Beckerman?

I know many of you would like to ... including that loud mouth meanderingjeep who I sit with ;) BUT ... realistically we can't.

What the Rapids need is DEPTH ... and whether you like Beckerman or not ... he'd be a good depth player to keep on the roster.

So to just use WJMarx (not picking on you ... just last post) if his GONE's were to come be ... we'd have 14 players ... and perhaps need to fill in 10 rosters spots in a year where two MORE teams are joining the league!

That can't happen ... or our entire team will have the ability of Seth Trembly.

Realistically, with expanded rosters ... we'll replace our SIs .. and add maybe 3 American players ... and keep pretty much everyone else.

11. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has not yet been decided. There is a small chance MLS will decide to keep the purse strings tight. I think the league will be stupid to do this, but the chance of having the same roster size and salary cap still exists.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we afford not to? We can't afford to keep playing him...

13. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Which is why I suggest he'd be a good player to keep on the bench.

This team needs to start moving in the direction of having options of the damn bench! He's a crappy option true ... but he'd be better than some 5th round draft pick most likely.

14. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Let's not forget about Henderson and Chung. Four goals combined in the run of play in 32 games and these guys are offensive midfielders.

15. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been waiting for someone to bring up Chung. What happened to him this season? He and Spencer were the biggest disapointments for me this season. 10 more goals between the two of them would have helped the team a lot.

16. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Not to make excuses for these two ... because they certainly are front and center to blame ... but perhaps it was because they hate their coach!

17. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did fine the year before with the same coach and arguably worse circunstances (remember all the roster tinkering and junk Hanki was doing in '03). I don't know what happened to Chung but it sucked. Maybe he can bounce back next season the way he did after 2001, but I don't know. He's turning 35 next season.

Season G A Pts
    2004 3 4 10
    2003 11 6 28
    2002 11 10 32
    2001 3 6 12
    2000 3 11 17
    1999 3 7 13
    1998 2 8 12
    1997 10 8 28
    1996 8 9 25

18. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Marx had it about nailed.

One player that concerns me is Chung. If he's not playing well we're playing short. Henderson, by contrast, gets back and works when things aren't happening. I'd consider seeing what a trade would get us, or let him go to RSL.

Beckerman's a player that I'd consider trying to put a trade together for. I suspect that other coaches in the league will see his value, and make something of him. I'd like to see that. I'd like it if he worked for us. If he can't then get someone who can.

19. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Not to make excuses for these two ... because they certainly are front and center to blame ... but perhaps it was because they hate their coach!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well everyone on these board makes excuses for the over 30 players... they are to blame so cut the excuses and say it like it is...Everyone player on this team hated the coach!!

20. Ringer

Ringer Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    If the coach goes away, I would give Chung and Beckerman another shot. Hanki has stifled them. Either way, the only non-developmentals worth keeping are:
    Cannon
    Pablo
    Borchers
    Kotchsau
    Crawford
    Peguero
    Cila

None of the SI's. Well, if we were forced to choose, I would give Rey-Rey another shot.

Please don't bring back Trembley or Lewis. Its embarassing.

21. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    None of the SI's. Well, if we were forced to choose, I would give Rey-Rey another shot.

Why he is such a rec league player who really doesn't want to play..Tell me one thing that he did this season? I don't want to hear well he was hurt. He came in with a knee problem (hankinson's doing ) and kept milking it to no end. He would come in for 1 play and go down hold his knee etc...

22. jdonnici

jdonnici Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Westminster, CO
    Of the over-30 crowd, Henderson's one I won't lay any blame on. Sure, he didn't find the back of the net like he has in the past. But he's a racehorse who's still got the legs and runs as hard in the 85th minute as in the 5th.

When a team works that, good things happen. When it's just one guy with that level of effort, it's hard to catch some breaks. The only other person on the team I saw that consistent a work rate from was Cannon.

On the other side of the field is Chung, who's work rate isn't even close. He layed off of many 50-50 balls this season, doesn't show to the ball as often as he should, and doesn't go from goal line to goal line. The effort isn't there for a full 90. He'll knock someone's head off if the ball gets teed up to his left side... but so will Trembly for that matter.

23. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    If it's my railroad, I keep the following twelve, add 2 new SI's (attacking mid & a strong/physical forward), a GK from the A-League (backup for Cannon), along with the players we pick in the draft.

Nat Borchers
    Joe Cannon
    Mark Chung
    Jordan Cila
    Matt Crawford
    Michael Erush
    Chris Henderson
    Ritchie Kotschau
    Ricky Lewis
    Pablo Mastroeni
    Jean Philippe Peguero
    Gary Sullivan

24. Ringer

Ringer Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    The first game he played he was very composed on the ball, even in the penalty area. He broke a defender down twice just outside the 6-yard box. Of course he was out of shape, so he picked up tickytack injuries for the rest of the season. I expect if he had a healthy pre-season, he could be servicable, or a reliable 3rd or 4th striker. We got to see a lot more of Delgado, and I was not impressed. Plus I think we get him on the cheap, don't we?

Dump powell, zizi and Delgado. Find a dangerous first choice.

25. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like things are going to move quickly after MLS Cup. Read in the Dallas News today: "Sometime before the expansion draft, tentatively scheduled for Nov. 22, MLS will rule on which players will “graduate” from the league’s Nike-sponsored Project-40 developmental system."

It will be interesting to see who "graduates." This article was speculating about EJ in Dallas leaving p-40 status. The article was talking like they might let him get away, while I highly doubt that, maybe we could get EJ in some convoluted MLS way.