Who's graduating from developmental status?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by ursula, Oct 27, 2004.

1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    According to Stephen Goff MLS has informed DCU that Alecko Eskandarian and Brian Carroll will lose their developmental status(es?)while Nana Kuffour, Jason Thompson, David Stokes and Fred Adu will keep theirs. Esky and Carroll will thus be eligible to be picked in the expansion draft if they get left unprotected.

So have we heard anything from any other clubs?

2. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Don't you mean P40 not developmenbtal status?

3. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    it's essentially the same thing... just a different name

4. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    p40s are developmental players like orange is a fruit.

there are developmental players that aren't p40 (cause there college graduates, less than 23/34 y/o, usually make $850/month, and don't count against the 18 man limit, but do against the 24 man limit)

Roster-protected is the safest term, but some include developmental and p40s as "developmental".

5. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    on BS you'd think you could learn which players are losing their p-40 status for 2005, but all i've gotten out of this so far is that orange is a fruit.

i'd also like to point out that orange is a color, a color no team in MLS has any interest in wearing.

sorry i can't contruibute anything positive to the p-40/developmental discussion.

6. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Sorry, I thought some here might need a workable analogy. Just wanted to point out there are developmental players who aren't p40.

It's pretty easy to guess who's graduating. There'll be one two surprises. The general guidenelines are that the player has shown that he can keep a senior roster spot. Usually by minutes played. If he'll be 24/25 y/o next year then there's a good chance he'll graduate. Same if he's going to be waived at the end of the season. I'd venture a guess but it sounds like Goff like usual is the first to leak the story. We'll probably learn the rest over the next couple of days.

I wish someone would wear orange. Just not my team!

7. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jordan Stone

8. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't assume we'll find out from other sources. Goff is one on the few who actually covers every angle of an MLS team.

This could actually be an interesting thread, if people are willing to put forward a guess.

I'm not sure of the status of different players around the league, but assuming its based on minutes, players like Magee and Gaven from the Metros would seem to be on the way to graduation. What about Martino and Buddle at Columbus?

9. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I'd say Chad Marshall is a lock with Nelson Akwari a solid possibility.

10. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    They already graduated.

11. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Magee already graduated too.

I'll list all the p40s (with age for next year, reg season minutes played)

Chicago:
    Jacqua 24, 1836
    Countess 23, 180
    Capano 20, 440

Columbus:
    Akwari 23, 1400
    Barclay 22, 72
    Marshall 21, 2446
    (Szetela something like an Adidas p40, 18, 374)

DC:
    Adu 16, 1440 (dare I say somewhat "forced")
    Carrol 24, 2438
    Eskandarian 23, 1627
    Stokes 23, 410
    Thompson 24 (though 23 until MLS Cup), 60 (plus 0 with DAL?)

MET
    Bradley 18, 0
    Gaven 19, 2578
    (Gilberto is DEV/TI and will be 22, probably makes more than $850/mo but maybe from loaned from club), 451 (injured)

NE
    Dempsey 22, 2024

COL
    Lewis 23, 289 (855 more with LA)
    Trembly 23, 761

DAL
    Goodson 23, 247
    Johnson 21, 2269
    Stone 21 (retired), 145
    (Nunez is DEV/?JI/?GC, signed as college freshman: 20 in Nov, 107)

KC
    Burciaga 24 (though not until November), 1876

LA
    Gardner 23, 25
    Gonzalez 19, 114
    Grabavoy 22, 928 (injury saved p40 status?)

SJ
    Alvarez 20, 374
    Cochrane 22, 1459 (only 18 games, injured)
    Cronin 22, 0

For other developmental players, it'll be based on age and whether the player/team want to upgrade/extend his contract (Cila anyone?). Players can stay dev until they turn 24 (then there's a one year exemption for players who were dev at 23 - senior dev) and until about 26 for GK (Foss is 25 this year, heard Ueltshcey ?sp was eligible for dev through 25 y/o for CLB). I include Nunez/Szetela/Flores cause the first two turned pro early and the latter is a murky situation. It also might be worth considering how many amatuer years each player gave up.

12. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    So my guesses for graduating: Jaqua, Countess (player wants to I think per Wilt, 100k salary), Marshall, Carroll, Eskandarian, Gaven, Dempsey, Johnson, Burciaga,

Probably: Akwari, Lewis, Cochrane, Stone (cause he retired)

Unlikey: Grabavoy

Not: Capano, Barclay (unless waived), Szetela, Adu, Stokes, Thompson, Bradley, (Gilberto), Trembly (unless waived?), Goodson, (Nunez), Gardner, Gonzalez, Alvarez, Cronin

Barclay and Trembly have been around forever

I think Wilt might tell us for Chicago. 3rdDegree and Greenie might figure it out for DAL/COL. Some teams might not be leaked. I don't think there are too many questionable calls. Which ones do you think are in question?

13. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    If you read Goff's article, he's talking about the larger developmental player picture, not just the subset of P-40's. That's why Nana Kuffour was mentioned. Thus there may be some good young foreign players (cheap) coming into play for the expansion draft.

14. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take a stab at this from the Colorado standpoint.

Here are our Dev and P-40 players and their DOB:
    Jordan Cila - 1982-04-11
    Michael Erush - 1983-01-24
    Byron Foss - 1979-10-06
    Ricky Lewis - 1982-05-29

Here is the MLS definition of Dev players: "Developmental Players (domestic or international): Each team will have six Developmental Players on its roster. The contracts for these players will not count against a team's salary budget. In addition to Nike Project-40 signees, a team's roster-protected players can only include those 23 years of age or younger during the season in question."

By that deifinition I have no idea how Foss is still a dev player. They must have gotten an exception or something. Who knows how long that will last, but with Scott Vallow already taking up a spot I wouldn't be surprised if Foss is gone this off-season. Unless he can keep his dev status.

The rest will turn 23 next season or later, but before the season starts they will all be 22, so they should have one more year of dev status.

Maybe we can get one of the senior college goalies tearing it up who are from Colorado.

15. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trembly isn't listed as Dev on the MLS website, but I thought he was. A lot of Colorado fans want to see him gone after this season.

16. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I dobut Gaven will lose his status...he is just one of those players who will be protected by the league until he is ready to be sold to the highest bidder.

17. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Tembly is p40.

I said above, GK's can be dev until 25 y/o.

18. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    The mere fact that you have explain all ths shows how exceptionally contrived and unecessary it is.

They need to scrap this nonesense now.

I sometimes wonder if the principals who finance this league know how silly the system is.

19. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Development GKs have an age exemption. They can stay DPs until they're 26.

20. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

21. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    What is very clear is that there is NO clear criteria for P-40 graduation. Trembly is in his 5th year of a four year program and Adu scored 5 goals and played in every game but won't graduate. This is MLS and the rules(?) are VERY flexible.

22. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    I think it sucks that Johnson graduates.

7 Eddie Johnson F 1984-03-31 P-40 3

He's been in the league 3 years, he had zilch for playing time in the previous two years, and he's not even 21 until next year.

One good year does not mean much.

23. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Same thing happened to Santino Quaranta. Expect it to happen.