clint and his future in germany

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by WC2010Champs!, Oct 24, 2004.

1. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    i have absolutely no idea if this is where to place this thread but . . . rob stone made a comment today in the sj v kc match that clint is better than 50/50 to be playing at real salt lake along with kasey keller. He made it sound like this was a done deal. I am an avid readed on big soccer and i havent seen or heard ANYTHING at all about this. Any of you posters give me some info on this? Also, im sorry but we need a good brit to do broadcasting because rob stone is absolutely awful (and this brits do such a good job broadcasting football matches)

2. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    All I know is that Clint is clearly unahppy withe the situation and he will not play with current coach unless he there is an injury problem. I would expect Cletus to try and make a move over the winter, he should be able to latch onto a club somewhere.

I can't see him ending up in SLC, I don't see Clint meshing well with the Mormons.

4. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i could see another german team taking a chance on clint. they all saw his exploits when he first got there.

5. KrimsonTide

KrimsonTide New Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This sure is not an easy time for Clint, but don't count him out yet. Lienen, the Hanover Coach, is not likely to start him in central midfield, but he may still get a chance as a forward, i suppose. We have quite a few forwards, but none of them is doing really well as of now.

On the other hand, a change of teams might be an opportunity for him as well. I'd like him to stay in the Bundesliga though, i have to admit.

6. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I'd like him to stay at Hannover.
    Lienen should try him as a forward, he can only do better than Leandro who is horrible IMO and Stendel who is a 2nd league player who just gets lucky sometimes.

7. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Do you think Mormons are the Rocky Mountain Taliban or something? Relax. Clint would do just fine there. In fact, he would probably be embraced as most of the Mormons I know seem to identify with the quirky, social outcast types.

8. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there two incorrect things you said here

for one Rob Stone never said "made it sound like was a done deal", he said its a possibility. without saying if its MLS wish list or his own.

second of all i disagree we need a brit to do our MLS games, we have enough people here that know the game and have good communication skills, they just need to be found and given the job. Last thing we need is to make MLS sound foreign.

9. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What future? he has none.

Although I am glad to see the Hannover fans on here are willing to give him another chance.

10. Line9Foul

Line9Foul New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    Good ol' USA
    yeah thats true.... Clint is having a hard time in Germany but he also remembers MLS for being unfair to him.... they ********ed up his moves to Ajax and Bayern Munich.... Mathis hates MLS and he did not leave in a good term with them... he would rather play in the Turkish 8th division than in MLS.

11. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the only post that needs to be paid attention to regarding any future for Mathis - anywhere.

12. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Clint is not in the squad for the match tomorrow either.
    I really believe now that Clint won't play another game for 96 as long as Lienen is in charge.

In the squad is Jiri Kaufmann, he didn't play one single minute this year, 96 tried everything to sell him and Lienen didn't even let him train with the first squad to show him that he's out of the squad and should leave to another club.
    Now Kaufmann is in the squad for tomorrow's game and Clint isn't, wow!

13. rorschach

rorschach New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Kirkwood Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore

So your position is you don't think he'll come back?

Anyway, looks like he would have just pouted on B. Munich/Ajax's bench. He needs to get his head right. Is this condition controllable with medication? And I don't mean PBR.

Doesn't matter where he is until then, he will still be hot and cold.

14. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    If Clint has such an attitude problem, I wonder why he keeps getting called into NT camps.

15. rorschach

rorschach New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Kirkwood Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore

I'm not denying the amount of talent which the guy possesses. He has mad skills. Then why is every team he's on mad at the guy? And why does he not even get on the bench? It seems with that talent he'd be an automatic stater for both club and country. But McBride, Casey, Donovan, and others like Wolff (who isn't as skillful) get a nod ahead of him, I have to wonder. Having seen his attitude, I have to figure that is the problem.

As to Arena's logic, the boy can play.

16. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is anyone here familiar with RR Kelly's song "Hotel Room" (the after party song???) well I think he wrote it about Mathis.

17. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    By the way, Clint is not the only player to ever have this problem.

There are plenty of highly talented players that don't play for teams (be it club or national team) because of differences with coaches.

Clint's problem right now is he seems to have burned quite a few bridges recently.

I think he can be fine, and who knows... maybe being frozen out of a team will be good for him in the long run.

18. KrimsonTide

KrimsonTide New Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nobody's mad at him in Hannover, at least as far as i know. A lot of the fans love him and would really like to see him start as forward, but the problem is that after he scored against Schalke he started against Bielefeld and really couldn't convince at all. Also, Lienen places very much emphasis on working for the team and working hard in practice, and it could be that others work harder.

As of now, Krupnikovic is the by far better playmaker than Mathis, he has way more oversight of the game, he can keep the ball until the right moment. So it's very reasonable that Mathis is out only because he's not performing good enough for the team, despite his talent.

(When Mathis came, Krupi played worse than now, but also on a different position, a little more in the back. Rangnick even put both Mathis and Krupi in the starting lineup, but Lienen won't do that, putting much more emphasis on the defensive midfield, so it's either beat Krupi and Sousa, which seems impossible right now, or beat at least five out of Leandro, Stajner, Stendel, Christiansen, Wallner and Kaufman for a forward position, which i think he could if he tried hard enough and with endurance.)

19. cocobru

cocobru New Member

May 3, 2004
    Looks like Clint has been overrated...Occasional good things but only occasional. We see the sparkles but it's not enough. Now with the team on a roll without him, there seems to be little motive for bringing him back except to do him a favor, and that's not the objective. I think Arena will drop him as well because his contribution is too limited - kind of the same reason as Linen has. Unfortunately.

20. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    A rumor from the Mathis thread of the 96 message board.
    There was an article in the BILD (Sun like yellow paper) that said that Mathis told Lienen before he left for the qualifying game: "When I'll return you'll be gone!":
    article in German

Could be true, could we wrong, it's the BILD but Hannover 96 didn't deny it.

21. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Do you mean that Clint expects Lienen to be let go OR Lienen expects Mathis to go? I doubt Hannover is going to let Lienen go.

22. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Obviosly Clint expected Hannover to lose the Rostock match and Lienen to be fired, (that article is 10 days old) but we all know that didn't happen and Clint hasn't played since.

23. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well, with rangnick as a coach we played very offensive soccer, which was very very nice to watch. Lienen is very defensive, so the fans get very soon impatient when the team he puts up plays crappy soccer AND looses, which happened in the beginning of the season (many wanted him to be gone as soon as possible), but now with that three wins it looks good for him. As soon as the team does not get points he'll be undoubtly in biiiig trouble. Then there would be a new coach and that's where Mathis would be able to come in.
    If he really said what the Bild wrote (the Bild is Germany's worst and biggest yellow paper) Lienen won#t make him play anymore, for sure. if he didn#t, the gesture with the watch was not that bad imo, many fans love him, if the forwards still play like crap (except Tomas Christiansen) and he does good in practice (that's what germans mean when they say training btw) Clint will be in as a forward soon I think and hope.
    I hope to have made the situation here a bit clearer for you guys... ;-)

24. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    I agree we don't need an actual Brit, but I do think that we could have much better commentary. I think we need to get away from the stand-up-comedian style promulgated by ESPN2 and in particular Fox Sports World. Even when these guys know what they're talking about, they alternate between excessive play-by-play calling of everyone that comes close to the ball vs spending five minutes on an irrelevant digression even while goals are being scored and yellow cards handed out on field, all with this snide humor that says "the game isn't interesting enough to watch, or even comment on, you should be paying attention to us clowns instead". ESPN2 accentuates this disrespect for the game with the send-downs to Lori Fair on the sidelines, so they can bother the coaches mid-game or talk about the players' personal lives, again implying that the game itself isn't worthy of our attention on its own.

25. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Clint's OK, but he's no Steve Cherundolo.