Republican Convention news thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by riverplate, Jun 30, 2004.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    This is par for the course. The Republicans have shamelessly and irresponsibly lied about economics for 20+ years. The bigger the lie, the better.

2. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Has anyone else besides me noticed that the unemployment rate has faded in importance, and has been replaced by the job creation number?

Frankly, if the GOP and their tools want to go on bragging about the economy, that's fine with me. It just makes them look that much more out of touch.

3. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Well, despite the frustrations of some who may be frustrated on this particular thread and forum, and elsewhere, the post-speech reviews and press widely declare Arnold's speech a big win for Bush - including even drawing higher tv ratings than Kerry's acceptance speech. As much as you may not like what you are seeing, I think even the staunchest Dems would admit that as of right now Kerry is getting his ass handed to him strategically.

If there were a "I'm trying to say this objectively as I can and I do not mean to gloat" smiley in the dropdown list, I'd use it. If I were a Dem, I wouldn't be happy about how things were going right now.

Google News result of post-Arnold articles

4. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have faith that this country won't base its vote on the delivery of convention speeches.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how much Arnold helps. I mean, his political philosophy is pretty antithetical to Bush's in many, many ways. If people tuned in to see the Terminator and were curious, I doubt it helps Bush much. If people are attracted to a gay-friendly, pro-choice presidential candidate, that doesn't help Bush.

The fact that more people tuned in to watch the governor of California than the relatively unknown Democratic nominee for president suggests VERY strongly that people wanted to watch the movie star. Which is fine. But I doubt that helps Bush.

6. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    At least there are plenty of available smilies for response.

:rolleyes: :eek: :confused:

;)

7. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    1,187 arrests as of this morning. The streets of New York have never been cleaner.

I'm thrilled to wake up this morning and find Arnold's speech has added greatly to the horror of the Democrats around here. An immigrant success story, par excellence. It's very easy for this kind of thing to be treated as piffle by arrogant home-growns. You've no idea how effective this stuff is in the actual world. And kudos to Arnold for putting in a kind word about Richard Nixon.

The optimism and confidence in the future being exhibited by the Republicans is a joy to behold. Our Big Tent is clearly on display and looking very attractive.

For those of you concerned that John Kerry hasn't told us what the hell he's been doing in the Senate for the past twenty years, don't worry. That question will be answered tonight. Dick Cheney is to devote a good part of his speech tonight to this unfortunate oversight of the Democratic Convention. The information you didn't receive there will be brought out for all to see tonight.

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone else find themselves laughing at parts of various speeches that weren't supposed to be laughed at? Did anyone find themselves thinking way too often, "The average American is an idiot and is buying this hook, line, and sinker?" Not that the Killer Cyborg's speech wasn't a metaphysical kick to the nuts for the Kerry campaign (they've got to do something to counter his influence. There are enough Democrats in Hollywood, use one!), I thought it wasn't too bad, and definetly won Bush some points. Despite that it was a decent speech and still would have been if it wasn't a very popular celebrity belting it out, I couldn't help but think of a couple of lines from the early 90s movie Demolition Man

Lenina Huxley (Sandra Bullock) : I have, in fact, perused some newsreels in the Schwartzenegger Library.
    John Spartan (Sylvestor Stallone) : Hold it. The Schwartzenegger Library?
    Lenina Huxley : Yes. The Schwartzenegger Presidential Library. Wasn't he an actor when you...
    John Spartan : Stop. He was President?
    Lenina Huxley : Yes! Even though he wasn't born in this country, his popularity at the time caused the 61st Amendment which states...

Was anyone else praying for a wickedly slicing foul ball during the minutes Bush had his back to the softball game?

The cynic in me ran wild last night, especially during Laura Bush's (who I do like actually) speech. I even had two Republicans laughing during my comentary.

9. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Actually, the Republican convention is an entertainment production designed to instill euphoria in the hearts of conservatives. As opposed to providing an objective accounting, you're being played like a piano. Just as libs were during the Democratic convention.

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the infamous Chicago convention no longer holds the record. :)

Actually, most people here realize the impact a celebrity has on the not-to-swift American public.

A Republican telling me about a Democrat...you'll excuse me if I don't buy a single word of it (for the same reason I don't buy a Democrat telling me about a Republican).

11. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    My most lasting reaction from last night's speech is how embarassing the Bush twins were. This is a national political convention, not senior skit day.

My response to the Schwarzenator's speech is disappointment. I'm disappointed because it was a rather good speech, though it had little or nothing to do with Republican Party politics. It was a good speech on being an American. Sadly, I doubt the distinction is notable for a large number of people. (The parts where he got into policy I thought were bad, such as an admitted steroid user talking about the values of playing by the rules to get ahead.)

I also became enormously disappointed at the friggin' Green party, and the overly pious liberal Dems in California who bought into the right wing zealots' power play to recall Gray Davis in the first place. Schwarzenegger got a national stage to spout platitudes to provide cover for the Party of Bloodthirst due in large part to Democrats.

To paraphrase, John Edwards, this just goes to prove that in today's political world, the right place to combat Republican tactics is EVERYWHERE. EVERYWHERE. EVERYWHERE.

12. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Arnie will help alot in the respect that people who won't watch the convention will have tuned in to watch him. But you are definitely correct that Arnie does not portray what the Reeps are all about. After the convention, back to raping as usual.

13. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Avatar bet! You're on, Nutmeg. Loser has to wear the other's avatar of choice from election day to swearing in. I realize this poses a potential conflict with the annual Segroves wager, but sooners are going down this year like Chloe Sevigny on Vincent Gallo.

[​IMG]

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've challenged ITN to a nearly identical bet, but he has yet to accept.

15. Pmoliu

Pmoliu New Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Princeton, NJ
    Actually John, I will have to disagree with you on the Twins. It was age appropriate, and dare I say, not scripted.

Paul

16. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    The point is Kerry and the Democrats have failed to highlight anything which may have been accomplished during his tenure in the Senate. This is yet another instance where the Democrats are permitting the Republicans to define something about Kerry.

Cheney's going to throw so much mud at him that Kerry is going to be forced on the defensive once again.

17. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who is roughly their age I only had one comment during their rambling. "How in the world can someone who graduated with a degree in communications be such a bad speaker? Don't schools require you to be good at something to get a degree in it anymore?" I'll admit it was a cute idea, but in the end it didn't come off as such. That being said, their were parts that were OK, but the whole "Job in the WH" bit was just bad.

18. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry... John Edwards will be "paraphrased" and ripped a new one this evening by no less than Vice Presdient Cheney, who will put this baby-faced, doctor-suing lawyer in his place, along with his evil campaign brother in arms, Kerry. Cheney will address both of these villians, and show the wheat from the chaff! Cheney has been silent for too long; MoveOn.Org has hurled insult after insult at the GOP and this evening VP Cheney will respond... I couldn't say it better than Shakespeare: "...cry havoc and let rip the dogs of war...!"

IntheNet

19. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    If you think that was age appropriate, you have pretty low expectations for college graduates. John Edwards' daughter managed to introduce her mother without making the whole convention hall fidget uncomfortably wondering what the joke about Sex and the City and her grandmother was supposed to be about.

And the sad thing is, Paul, it was indeed scripted. Nothing gets up on the RNC stage by accident. Someone thought a FRIGGIN' YALE GRADUATE going up on stage and acting like a spoiled adolescent was a good idea.

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What of my challenge? You seem confident enough now. Take the bet.

21. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't disagree with you at all there.

22. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    No one's going to buy a premium membership for their sock puppet just to have an avatar bet with you.

23. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bet was my avatar for a change in his usual signature. I think it'd be interesting. Nothing high stakes, just a little fun.

24. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casper, more than anyone else on these boards, is like the energizer bunny of stupid; he just keeps going and going!

Casper...for the 12,000 time... no sock puppet!

25. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]