changes are a'comin' (Wizards Moving???)

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Uppa 90, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or if you wanna talk about the Wizards moving, where would they play if they did move? If they did move to another city, for example let's say Houston, they would move from one spacious stadium to another. The problem would be, they would be paying a hell of a lot more on rent then the Wizards are currently paying at Arrowhead. It doesn't make financial sense to move the team to play in another football stadium.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Rochester Democrat and Chronicle headshot:
    [​IMG]

Oh my. He's a sports radio guy. This link starts an audio ad for his show:
    http://www.wham1180.com/Matthews.html

[​IMG]

Maybe we should call in to his show. It is an 800 number. :D

3. jdoppel

jdoppel Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

holy crap. that due is seriously f'd up. he didnt get the attendance figures right by a ton. he also failed to point out that our attendance has gone up for several years straight.

ok. i feel a lot better if this is the start of the rumors.

4. gk0002

gk0002 New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Lee's Summit
    I'm going to e-mail them with links to MLSnet with the average attendance to the wizards' and burn home games through the first 8 seasons

5. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Welcome to BigSoccer. Threads are to be about one topic. Leave it at that. If you want to talk about something else, start a new thread or find one that has a similar topic that you want to post about.

And to answer your question in short, it is not the job of the fan to get more people in the stands. Sure word of mouth is the best advertisement, but the Wizards have to get them there and keep them there.

Now lets keep talking about the original topic. I'm getting sick of all the talk, how about everyone else? No one seems to listen to reason on this topic. As Andy has pointed out in several locations, people always demand facts but in this case they seem to be assuming the rumor as truth.

6. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing official has been announced yet, but United is looking to have something open for 2007...

On the fan stuff, it's being discussed here.

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: changes are a'comin'

My new sig.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The San Jose Clash remain the best-attended soccer team in San Jose history -- better than the NASL Earthquakes, better than the MLS Earthquakes.

9. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The 4 years of the Clash were the 5th best-attended 4-year period in San Jose soccer history.

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You spin it your way, I'll spin it mine.

Either way, I think we can agree that merely changing the name from "Clash" to "Earthquakes" wasn't exactly met with an outpouring of public support.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

So where do the 4 years of the MLS San Jose Earthquakes rank?

12. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    LOL... this article is great. I'm glad you posted a link to the source. I had assumed it would be something as ridiculous as this, but never took the time to research it. I'll pull some of my favorite quotes.

Key word there is "hunch." Also, wasn't PaeTec park suppoed to be finished in like 2001 or something?

If the Wizards were the only pro sports team in town, they'd get lots of coverage too.

What does that even imply? The MLS "wouldn't be reluctant to embrace" the Rhinos? Who the hell is out there that the MLS would be reluctant to embrace? Talk about not really saying anything with that statement.

Wouldn't it be even more realistic to prospect that they could be the Buffalo Sabres of the MLS?

Forgot the Columbus Crew too.

I would give this guy a break thinking that maybe he didn't know that Hunt owned the Chiefs and the lease to Arrowhead, but nope, he threw that charity away. The fact that he owns the Chiefs and the lease to Arrowhead is probably the sole reason why the Wizards are still in, or were ever in Kansas City.

There it is!!!! He proved the reason why Hunt will move to Rochester, because he has visited there in the past!

I like this quote...
    I think Hunt recognizes that 2+2=4 as well. I don't even get what he's trying to say with that statement. Is that trying to say something positive about Hunt, that he pays attention to a competition that is named after him? This reported just baffles me.

Which is why he wouldn't move a team to lose money.

LOL! Then why even include that? I wonder if he even called up the Rhinos to ask them.

Reporter's phone call to the rhinos office...
    Reporter - "Hi, umm... I was wondering if you had anything to say about the rumor that Lamar Hunt is going to move to Rochester?"

Rhinos - "What? This is the first time I've heard that rumor."

Reporter - "Well yeah, I know, I haven't written the article yet."

Rhinos - "Written an article in response to the rumor?"

Reporter - "No, actually an article to start the rumor."

Rhinos - "You can't just make up stories and hope they come true."

Reporter - "So you aren't confirming it or denying it?"

Rhinos - "How can I confirm or deny a rumor I know nothing about?"

Reporter - "Great, thanks!"

Click

This just baffles me... you are inventing something, just out of the air, trying to prove that it is going to happen, then going back and saying "It could happen, but we don't know." I like the "possibly Hunt" comment too becuase Hunt's interest is what he's been trying to show. If not Hunt then who else?

This is why the talk of this rumor has annoyed the crap out of me so much, there is no validity to this rumor at all! He's just making stuff up and people just went along with it.

13. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rock bottom!

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rock bottom of San Jose soccer history, perhaps, but not of MLS history - as a matter of fact, it doesn't even touch the Wizards' 1997-2000 four-year period.

Anyway, I would say "but I digress...", but this discussion already had digressed.

-G

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Actually, it's not a "digression" as it is precisely that four year period that is the basis of all the "crappy Wizards attendance" statements we continually see in the press any more. The Wizards aren't a problem child when it comes to attendance, but the perception of 4,800 Wednesdays and 8,500 Saturdays remains.

16. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Maybe this is a statement to get the Chiefs a new stadium. How close are the Hunt's ties to KC? If Anchutz builds a stadium in LA wouldn't Hunt find it financially appealling to move his team there? Most NFL teams have newer, more profitable stadiums or at least some local plan for one?

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I seriously doubt that Hunt would ever consider moving the Chiefs out of KC. KC loves the Chiefs, and I don't believe that there has ever been an appeal for a new football stadium in KC recently. I would also say that Hunt loves KC as well, and wouldn't want to move the team. The Chiefs are too well supported to move that team, the only way the Chiefs would move, without a major riot, would be for them to pull a Colts and pull out middle of the night. There is no way that this city let's the Chiefs go, they'd probably be the one team that would get a new stadium if they asked for it.

18. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Hate to switch from the Houston Wizards talk, but I believe I've found the inspiration for our crappy logo.

Leave it to the Wizards to get branding ideas from a defunct U12 girls team in Novato, California.

19. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I did a little more research on Arrowhead. It actually doesn't look bad for an older stadium. I don't know about profitabillity (boxes, club seating, etc. and operating costs). So a renovatoin plan failed a few years ago. I was surprised no to find much news about any current demand for renovation and found nothing about threats of relocation. I still have one big question, what is the Hunt family commitment to the community? It could be the operating cost is too high at Arrowhead, I hear about this great lease yet I've never heard the team is profitable. Despite a great lease, if the team can't be profitable and no path to a SSS is present, I'd have some concern. I wasn't following MLS closely but was living in Tampa in late 2001 and the contraction talk came on quickly and took me by surprise (now rumors are that it was already decided in early 2001!).

20. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way I understand it is that the Chiefs are the primary tenant and they get most of the money that comes in from parking & concessions.

So while HSG doesn't lose any money, that income doesnt' show up on the Wizards books.

21. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Rumor has it that they're building the Chiefs a FSS in the parking lot at Arrowhead.

:p

22. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and no. The last I knew, Jackson County got the first $5 in parking revenue for all events at TSC. Ergo, the Wizards get $1 or whatever, and the Chiefs get $15 for their events. It's something similar with the concessions...the Wizards do get money, but it isn't a whole lot.

Again, allow me to describe how this all works, at least as of the last time a higher-up from HSG described it to me (I was kind of shocked that he was as open about it as he was).

The Wizards pay half of their rent ($20,000 per game) to the leaseholder on Arrowhead (some other HSG subsidiary). The other half is paid from the MLS general stadium rental and construction fund. The setup is nearly identical for all teams, even the ones that have built their own stadia...the league winds up paying a chunk of the mortgage payment, basically.

Basically, the Wizards could show a loss of $400,000 annually, and it still wouldn't matter a fig to HSG, because, in the grand scheme of things, it isn't a loss. The Wizards haven't shown a loss anything like that in a *long* time.

These numbers have, I'm sure, changed, but the net effect is still the same.

This is one of the main reasons that the talk of relocation is such utter crap. The fact is, it's well worth it for HSG to have Arrowhead in use more frequently, and it's worth it to Jackson County as well. If you ask me, we aren't going anywhere...and that includes a SSS.

Don't forget, folks; the Wizards don't just play in Arrowhead Stadium. Their offices are there, and their training facilities are there. They have indoor and outdoor facilities, the Chiefs' weight facilities, the whole bit. If they go anywhere else, they're automatically spending, oh, $80,000 minimum annually on office expenses, or they have to pay to have all of that constructed in a stadium, few of which of have room for adding a whole office.

It's total garbage. The Wizards PR department is showing some rust here by not being more proactive about it.

23. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Thanks for the info. Are we sure the Wizards cover the operating costs of the stadium? I'm not so sure they are profitable. The league wide payment to HSG for operating costs might bother prospective investors in MLS. Is KC a market MLS feels it wants to be in when it gets to 16-20 teams? I agree it seems like this is all started by 2 dubious sports writers making crap up with little basis. But that the "?Sports Business Journal" which "?is respected" printed the story could be the sign of something omnious and ought to be taken seriously. The league will look a lot better with full SSS and enthusiastic crowds. 15k in a ~80k stadium just can't match this. If they get DC a stadium and move SJ, build SSS in SLC and Seattle, then they are close to having the ENTIRE league is SSS. I'm not sure how committed Kraft is to his team. In NE they have a new stadium that probably is cheaper to run and more profitable and are a larger market (and there is always east-coast bias in sports necessitating a presence along these cities to keep the national media interested). I don't agree that KC should be moved now but there are serious issues here.

24. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be so sure. You might be surprised at what could transpire.

25. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But who says they can't build one in the Sports complex? That way everything is all together.