Real Madrid Not Coming

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Ray_P, May 28, 2004.

1. Ray_P

Ray_P New Member

May 28, 2004
    You people can't be serious. Iraq? We went from being led to believe that we were going to get to see the best MLS players against some of the best players in the world to the Iraqi National Team and you would be happy with that?

About the allstar game opponent MLS (Trey Fitzgerald) has said "We still want to have a meaningful international competition. We're talking to other clubs. All of them are world-renown clubs that you've heard of." Does that sound like Iraq to you?

Why would anybody pay to see a bunch of Iraqis? MLS would probably like to make some money from the game.

2. Ray_P

Ray_P New Member

May 28, 2004
    Maybe Benfica is available (but probably can't be confirmed until the new coach gets things in order), but Porto is already playing in Toronto on July 30 and at Giants Stadium on August 1. Somehow I doubt they are available on July 31. And after the weak turnout for Sporting in Foxboro a few weeks ago I'm not sure MLS would jump at the chance to bring another Portuguese team there.

And do you really believe that any South American or Mexican team will sell out the game? Some of the bigger clubs, sure, but not just any team.

3. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Valencia (Claudio Ranieri's new club)? It would be great to see how the MLS all-stars do against the La Liga champions.

4. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    How about a simple East versus West game? Simplest solution and most logical.

5. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a simple solution but this is MLS we're talking about. Things are rarely simple and straightforward. Besides, after offering us a 5-star meal for the past couple of months and screwing up the MLS schedule to switch All-Star dates, it would seem like the MLS fan would be getting the gyp-job.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because, after all, they should have seen this coming. :rolleyes:

7. JBohland

JBohland New Member

Feb 6, 1999
    I was exaggerating here. I don't think MLS would be bringing in Newell's Old Boys or something...I'm working under the assumption this would be a "name" SA or Mexican team.

8. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any business worth its salt should have some sort of back-up plan. Just because the chance of Real Madrid collapsing like a house of cards was small doesn't mean that something should have been in place.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy for you to say that now. If you were saying that a month ago, you win.

You know what else I heard? I heard Luis Hernandez ain't all that good and Lothar Mattheus is over the hill.

10. Atom'sDad

Atom'sDad New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Texas
    Let's play the MFL "all-Stars". Not just a team. This would sell out a Football stadium.

11. contikipaul

contikipaul Red Card

May 19, 2004
    Maybe if they played an all star team of MILF's..............I'd be there.

12. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    :D
    Fear about terrorism ??? Hummm.... Or fear of a whooporrism ??? :D

13. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also don't get paid for thinking of such things. the honchos at MLS do. Obviously the contract wasn't guaranteed.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love hindsight.

Even if the contract was guaranteed, Real would still just pay a fee to break it and not come, considering how much they stand to make from the Champions League (or lose if they flame out of it). MLS would get the money, but not get the game.

15. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least MLS would have a fee to entice another team. I'm not angry we aren't seeing Real - that's their own damn fault. Murcia *shakes head*. I'm annoyed there was no back-up.

Yes I am talking about this in hindsight, the point is it's their JOB to prepare for this contingency? Always watch for "in your ear" - isn't that part of why they get paid? shouldn't somebody have said something? At least MLS still has time to get a sub team - and I'm sure they'll do fine. But even though Real's abhorrent play (again, Murcia?) should shoulder a heavy part of the blame - MLS looks Mickey-Mouse again for not having a replacement, and I for one am sick of them looking Mickey-Mouse. It's bad enough my team has the worst FO in the league.

16. R.Mad

R.Mad New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Madrid
  17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Got any news on the Hindenburg?

18. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Just FYI, but the Asian mini-tour Real's picked over MLS will bank them over $16 million just for the appearance fee alone. Factor in the sales of gear, other events, etc., and you can see how this was a case of "money talks, losers walk."

If MLS had any brains they'd demand a similar fee (just for spite) of Real to appear in Madrid this fall.

The Magpie

19. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Real should make the MLS All-Stars buy tickets to get into the stadium.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS could demand all it wants, that wouldn't take brains.

That would be like me demanding Molly Sims show up at my house tonight.