News: Stadium News, Speculation & Possible Truthiness XXVI: Petitions and Goff and Development, Oh My!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, given how quick so many US-based soccer fans are to play the victim card, it always amazes me how quick so many of us are to insult or irrationally dislike other sports or teams.

The Nationals make a nice scapegoat, but they are not the reason DCU doesn't have a SSS right now.

2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can individually hate, love, or feel indifferently about the Nationals if we ********ing want to and no one can say whether it's good, bad, or matters at all to do so.
    What a bunch of whining.

And no, to answer something else somewhere above, we cannot all agree that Will Chang cannot build something himself - no one but probably Will knows that - however, most of us can assume or infer that :) We know he has said it would be easier to push thru the city council if someone local with money was involved.

Now, can we move on to something most people don't have to scroll past :)

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The team should just build another stadium in the parking lots of RFK.

4. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Anyone that doesn't feel like reading this, and I don't blame you, scroll down now. This is a long one.

I'm not exclusively blaming MLB for the fact that we don't have a new stadium, or even much of a chance of getting one at the moment. They damn sure didn't help matters, though, and they certainly deserve a share of the blame for the current state of affairs.

As for
    , I assume you mean that I'm supposedly pro-soccer to the exclusion of all else, just as fans of the major American sports are generally opposed to our game. That's not the case at all; I've stated in my previous posts that I follow the other local teams that aren't the Expos, and that my beef isn't with the sport of baseball, but rather MLB and the Expos organization for what they did to both RFK and the District. I enjoy all types of sports; hell, I've watched curling and achieved a genuine interest in it.

My entire opposition to the Expos is just me stewing in my rage and being unable to let go of section 120, and I admitted from jump street to tenderizing Seattle Slew, but I didn't start this little message board fight over it. Morris20 is responsible for that, so if I can turn my attention to my new friend for a moment...

Since you're so bound and determined to stick to this particular tangent, while having the nerve to call the links I post "tangentially-related", I'm left with no choice but to debase myself YET AGAIN to respond to you. Thank you for outing yourself as a glory-hunter just now, but a six-goal margin of victory at home against a team riddled with injuries, suspensions and a bullshit red card didn't exactly earn you any extra points in the league. Here's a single-goal margin of victory between our clubs that actually meant something:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEB2lVaUNmI"]Wiltord Winning The League at Old Trafford! - YouTube[/ame]

And you shouldn't talk scorelines when 6-1 happened at Old Trafford a few weeks afterward.

And I am a jerk for many reasons, the first being that my uncle called me "Navin" when I was young. It's a long story; sorry I can't link it for you. :rolleyes: But if being bitterly opposed to a sports team that failed in another city and was shoehorned into mine, and had an immediate and detrimental effect on the team to which I have one of my deepest and most meaningful emotional attachments that doesn't involve family or Star Wars, makes me a jerk in your doubtless considered estimation, then so be it. I'm a jerk.

[​IMG]

Yes, the DC government can be blamed for ripping out the Northside, as DC Sports & Entertainment Commission, nowadays called Events DC, is a local government agency. But that wouldn't have happened had there not been a need for an outfield to accommodate the invaders. Oh, and by dint of creating a dirt infield that had to be covered with sod for our matches, which made the ball bounce oddly on the surface, always kicked up a faint trace of dust, and the seams of which presented a constant threat of injury, yes, actually, the Expos did indeed say
    I can see the game just fine from behind a goal, and from our present location by the corner. I don't require a view as if I'm watching on TV or playing FIFA; usually I'm far too busy in the course of a match to worry about my view. That big-ass drum you can always hear coming from La Norte? That's me on the sticks, if you hadn't noticed. And yes, if La Norte has a fracking massive banner on display for all and sundry, and one that takes the piss out of the away support, then yes, I'm excited, and it's a good trade for seats that are empty except for the assholes that happen to be supporting our current victims. I've sat in the upper bowl before, and all I can say is, meh. If that's your thing, whatever, but they're not the best seats in all of RFK, unless you like old, peeling paint and splinters in your ass. If you're that pressed for a view and supporters' clubs aren't your bag, sit in the 200-something sections of the Quiet Side. The Maker knows how LN, the Ultras, the Barra, and the Eagles will do without you and your sanctimony, but I think we'll manage somehow.

How difficult is it for you to comprehend that no matter how much of an utter numpty Kevin Payne may be in terms of negotiations, the Expos' chicanery in getting their rather mediocre downtown stadium built has had a deleterious effect on DC United's hopes for a new ground in the city? Disregarding whether or not Payne has actually tried to get Prince George's County or Baltimore to pay the entire cost of building the new ground; disregarding the fact that Victor MacFarlane left the club in the financial lurch after it became clear that Poplar Point was a non-starter; disregarding the economic downturn that was more or less the nail in the coffin of Poplar Point for Clark Realty and didn't help matters elsewhere; disregarding the fact that Adrian Fenty straight-up fucking LIED to us fans on the very soil of RFK on either end of his election to the mayoralty of DC about working to help the club get a new stadium; the taxpayers of the District of Columbia, along with several small businesses that once occupied that land, were metaphorically bent over and violated by the Expos, with nary a word of protest from the Council except to oppose any other stadium deal in the city, no matter the terms, for the sake of covering their own asses.

Will Chang might care about the Lerners from a competitive standpoint within baseball as a potential threat to the Giants. In much more realistic terms, maybe Mr. Chang actually gives a monkey's about DC United, and resents having been here as a local club owner for longer than they have, yet seeing them get over with a new stadium. Maybe he resents that DC United have been involved in the community with recreational and academic programs for children, riverside cleanup activities, in which I have personally taken part, and various other charitable efforts through United For DC and the supporters' groups themselves, and the franchise that tried to soak the city for late fees on construction as they were already eight games in the new stadium still hasn't received any sort of comeuppance, although their spectacular failure might suffice. Not that charity should ever be a quid pro quo, but one can't help feeling like the nice guy that a girl rejects for the douchebag quarterback, or in this case, the douchebag pitcher.

Yes, DCU needs deeper pockets, but do you honestly think the Lerners give a frozen fuck about us? Personally, if we can work with Akridge, and maybe even needle Pepco a bit, I would rather they have a stake in our future than another owner distracted by baseball, with all respect to Mr. Chang, especially one whose distraction is potentially next door. As for this:

I wouldn't say that; after all, it's worked for the Expos so far.

I would be remiss if I didn't thank Bootsy and Publius for having my back here, but I'm my own man, and I can obviously speak for myself; ad nauseam, some might say. If all you have to bring to this discussion are impertinent and insulting Arsenal taunts that make you look like Dan Snyder, then don't be surprised when I go full Haber on your ass. And as for my links, try clicking and reading them; you might learn something. Everything I've posted is relevant; it's not my fault if you just want to call me a jerk and a jagoff to satisfy yourself. And personally, I don't give a damn about moving MLS forward; hell, if the league collapsed today, I would throw on a black shirt and slide-tackle anyone even holding a can of Red Bull or a bottle of Herbalife. If you honestly believe that a message board is going to help move the stadium initiative forward, then you're even sadder than I thought. You haven't exactly proven yourself to be a leading light on the issue, or maybe you just forgot to link your own stadium blueprint and financing plan. This message board is basically an online version of Lot 8; we're all just saying the same things to each other, in various states of inebration, and as usual, someone calls someone else a jagoff and ruins it for everyone. I doubt I've alienated the Expos fanbase en masse, seeing as how I'm yet to fly a banner over their park telling them to piss off back to Montreal, so I'm not doing any real damage to DCU. But if you truly believe in the power and magic of BigSoccer, you can go on believing that I'm such a jerk for harming the stadium discussion, what with my infinite power and influence and all. I'll live.

As to the point worth debating, at first, there was none. I was initially just chirping in about La Norte's old home, as I usually do in this thread, and how much I hate the Expos. I wasn't attacking anyone; it was my bit of mindless fun and mourning. You started this descent into madness by calling me a jagoff for not supporting a "local team", then I made my point on why I hate them and why I don't consider them local. You started the Arsenal tangent and implied that because a few idiots sang anti-Jewish chants at matches before I was even born, that I am anti-Jewish by extension. That was both impertinent to the matter at hand, and incredibly insulting to me personally. I responded with links showing that racism was pervasive throughout the English game in the 70s and 80s, that racism didn't just happen at Arsenal, or even just in England, and that my other club actually has a comparatively good history of keeping racism out of their ground, as well as continuing my argument about the new baseball stadium. You had no relevant response, I brought an end to proceedings, and after I made another pro-La Norte comment, not meaning to insult you or anyone else, you started the argument AGAIN. And here we are.

I've wasted enough time and energy on you, and I have no wish to piss off the rest of BigSoccer by wasting precious server space on beating up the proverbial neighborhood spastic. If you want to prolong this farce, send me a DM. Or we can just IL+1 each other as JSF suggested. Personally, I think that's best for all involved. I'm finished with this, and with you.

5. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Insisting on calling the Nationals the "Expos" is pretty petty.

In any event, this whole discussion is little more than crying over spilled milk. Shaking your fist in anger at the Nationals is a waste of time.

6. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feh, that's nothing: some us still call the airport on the Potomac River "Washington National." :D

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I still and will always call that team from NY the Metro's. It may be petty but it gives me the warm and fuzzies. :D

Epic rant btw DN

8. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, do you avert your eyes every time you pass this statue on the way to arrivals?

[​IMG]

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Hey, look. It's the Don.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdI_XHmtfH8"]Forbes: MLS Commissioner Don Garber - YouTube[/ame]

10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As well you should, it is an insult to working people everywhere to use the other name.

Hell, I still call that stinkin' soccer team in New Jersey The Metros quite often. And I still call Accenture Arthur Anderson and KFC Kentucky Fried Chicken :) It's who they are. Sometimes businesses need to be reminded a simple name change doesn't change real identity.

If you want to think of them as a brand new expansion team, cool - but not everyone has to do so and them not being like you does not make them petty any more than it makes you a simple pawn or a sell-out (yes I have heard that from hard-core anti-Nat and anti-baseball people).

Doing anything, even talking on this board about it, is basically a waste of time and has zero affect on any DCU stadium being thought of or built - but so what, we're here anyway. My waste of time is another person's bitter pill :)

*shakes fist at Nationals just because I was told it didn't matter*

;)

11. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I just use BWI. ;)

[​IMG]

12. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    I take Metro to DCA. Not only does it not pass that statue, mass transit is like kryptonite to the Ghost of Reagan.

13. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sl-MHhEJxI"]Where Is The Love - Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway - YouTube[/ame]

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Just because...

[​IMG]

100 & V remains a parking lot. Were we always looking at the wrong spot or were multiple locations discussed?

15. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I call it National Airport.
    I call our basketball team the Bullets.
    I drive on Shirley Highway.
    I go to Redskin games at the Cooker.
    Washington Monument is the Big Pencil.
    I do manage manage to call Verizon Center by its proper name instead of MCI Center.
    And when I go to Viriginia I usually take the Cabin John Bridge.

16. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must have, I never knew he was there, just like his cabinet members.

17. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell half the time he didn't even know he was there, especially towards the end.

18. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    I, for one, wish he were never "there".

asitis

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Same. Maybe DCA to throw people off.
    Often the same. I'm more likely to say Wizards than write Wizards.
    Rarely (likely because of age)
    No.
    No.
    I make sure to use Verizon over MCI, but often refer to it as the Phonebooth.
    No.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't remember this picture, but I miss it.
    [​IMG]

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That was just added within the last few months, right?

21. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As long as there is a velodrome. ;)

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Whenever I mention the Cabin John Bridge my wife, who isn't from this area, looks at me like I'm speaking a foreign language.

"The one we take to Great Falls" I always say, and then she gets it.

23. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, where else would one tailgate?

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Nats Park. They'll have another new stadium in DC by then.

25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    That's Friendship Airport to you. :)

What is that bridge's official name? I call it the Cabin John Bridge the few times I have to mention it.