Adam Henley at Bradford City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hes played both.

Responding to Jgco, yes, they have improved. They still qualify through UEFA. Henley won't be ready for any final 23 world cup roster, Wales or ours, by 2014. What happens if in 2016, to qualify for the 2018 WC they have two teams such as Germany and a France or Italy in their group. It could easily happen. They would then not qualify. While Wales can make WCs, the US almost definitely will make them all in the near future.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup.

And if he played for Wales in an official FIFA competition..............he'd need to file for the one-time switch prior to his 21st birthday.

Of course it's all conjecture right now.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't think the "21" rule still exists as Jones, Castillo and Johnson were all over 21 when they switched to the US.

4. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    The 21 rule was eliminated.

5. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    If Henley continues to improve (which obviously he will need to for an NT cap) then he will be considered for the Welsh team in the next 12 months. As for Wales themselves, they now have two genuine world class players in Ramsay & Bale to build around. They wont make every WC/Euros, but they will qualify for one in the near future.

As for Bale, he is now exclusively a left winger for Wales as for Spurs.

6. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but they won't qualify for EVERY wc. It all comes down to the draw in UEFA.

7. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Folks, if you'd like to go into more depth about Henley's potential role on the national team, then, by all means, feel free to participate in the US forum--pretty sure there's already a thread there for him.

If, however, you're just interested in posting drive-by snark and engaging in, frankly, ridiculous debates about the relative "Americanness" of American citizens, then take it to World Rivalries or, well, anywhere else but this forum.

8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea when Henley moved from the US to England/Wales? Did he ever play soccer in the US? Just interested.

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    We will most likely not here anything more until some media outlet (like Yanks Abroad) trys to interview him.

Based on his twitter responses in one of the earlier posts we know he qualifies for Wales through his mother.

It can't be ruled out at this point that his father could be American.

Hopefully US contacts him and invites him to one of the U-20 or U-23 get togethers.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Did some digging and this is his brother:

"Born in Atlanta, Georgia, raised in NW England."

http://www.owenhenley.co.uk/

He has a facebook page that is real easy to find if anyone wants to ask him straight up if he has family connections to the U.S./ would his bro like to play for US. - I highly suggest you ask it in a nicer more formal way though.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    My assumption based on evidence:
    The fact that he was born in Knoxville while his not much older brother was born in Atlanta added to the fact that we dont know the origins of his father make me believe its very possibly Adam Henley has more connections to the U.S. than just birthplace. I could be wrong though.

10. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also has a twitter account @OwenHenley if someone wants to ask and would rather do it that way.

11. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    The u21 rule was eliminated in favor of the one time switch rule. However, the player has to be eligible for country B at the time he represented country A.

12. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brothers response on twitter

Nathan_Smith22 Nathan Smith
    @OwenHenley Can your brother qualify to play for the USA? We would like him to

OwenHenley Owen Henley
    @Nathan_Smith22 yeah he does. He will decide in the near future

13. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he didn't say "yes, but he's choosing to play for Wales", so that's good.
    I'll remain optimistic.

14. sianh10

sianh10 Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    All, following the huge amount of interest surrounding Adam from the USA, as his mother I thought it would be a good point to give everyone some facts. Adam is not really in a position to reply to individual tweets at this time, so please be patient. Adam was indeed born in Knoxville, TN. I am Welsh and his father is American. The Henley family, including his father William Henley, still live in and around Knoxville, Loudon and Rockwood, TN. When we first married we both worked in Atlanta, hence the reason his elder brother was born there. We moved to Knoxville shortly before Adam was born. When Adam was 2 years old, we divorced and I brought Adam back to the UK with his brother.

Adam has played for Wales at U16, U17 and U19 levels, and has been in the U21 squad on one occasion although he didn't play. I can confirm that Claudio Reyna and Jurgen Klinsmann have both spoken to Adam's agent with regards to his eligibility, and have invited Adam to an U23 training camp. Due to Adam's recent inclusion in the senior team at Blackburn, he has naturally been concentrating on establishing his position there and has put international matters on the back burner. Also, following the sudden death of the Wales manager Gary Speed, the Wales camp is still in mourning and are yet to name a successor. For all these reasons, it has not been a good time to make decisions. We thank everyone for their continued interest, and assure you that any decisions will be fully considered.

I hope this answers some unanswered questions and clarifies some rumours.

Thanks,

Sian.

15. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the clarification.

16. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This why I love coming to this site

17. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woah.:eek::eek::eek: Thank you!

18. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, the people that actually know what theyre talking about/ have real info or the vast majority of the rest of us that speculate on every possible scenario and then look stupid when real info becomes available?

19. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice post. Thanks for taking the time to give us the true scoop. I would love to see Henley at LB, which would allow Chandler to slide back over to his natural RB position on Cherundolo hangs up his International boots in the next couple of years.

20. sianh10

sianh10 Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    I should have mentioned that Adam is naturally right-footed and in the long term his goal is to play at RB, but he has served his apprenticeship at LB and has shown he is more than capable in that position.

21. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    /sigh and the search for a LB continues :D

22. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even better IMO, because the US is short on fullbacks in general and someone that could play either side is invaluable.

23. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you watched his game vs Blackburn you'd see that he's more than serviceable at LB. Plus, Chandler has shown the same thing. As long as they are comfortable with their left feet when absolutely needed, it's fine to be a right footed left back.

24. futbal4eva

futbal4eva Member+

Jan 3, 2010
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Sian,

Thanks for taking time to clarify, and best wishes for the new year to you and yours. Whatever the future may bring we'll be rooting for Adam.

(Yeah I'm buttering up mom already, but hey, I'll root for any 17 year old who can defend like that against Nani and rest of the Manchester United attack.; )

25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info and well-composed post. Compared to some previous parents' posts this is amazing.

soccersubjectively repped this.