Ivan Zamorano, new president of Club America San Jose?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by guamster, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. :)

If a team gets relocated, then it usually does get renamed. But if the Earthquakes get relocated, then at that point it wouldn't really matter to me whether or not it's renamed as that team would be lost to me anyway.

Like I mentioned earlier, though, I'm still not yet fully convinced that the team will be moved, but who knows?

Rarely is a team renamed while kept in the same market, though. Yeah, the Clash became the Earthquakes, but that only makes the prospect of yet another name-change hurt even worse, as the team-name is now what it was meant to be in the first place (check out the link I provided a few posts up regarding the team-name history).

Only if San Jose gets another Quakes MLS franchise within a year, though what's really the point of doing that? Why not just have a front-office that'll finally market the heck out of the current "San Jose Earthquakes" to San Jose and the rest of the Bay Area? Granted, some extra work would need to be done to repair whatever damage was done by past regimes, but they need to at least work fully with what they have here before potentially moving them away and/or rebranding them.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Can't help but think that if this was Man U or AC Milan buying into the league that everyone would be happy. Change of name or colors wouldn't be that big of a deal. Is Eurosnobbery going on here, by Yanks themselves, against Mexicans?!
    Let's see. Club that draws terribly. Richest team in Mexico wants to buy it. Telemundo will start to broadcast MLS games again, and not goof on them this time. Ratings will go up. Attendance will go up. SSS inevitable.
    I see all of these downsides.
    Hmmmm....makes you wonder.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, not really - I've mentioned several times here around the time this Club America thing first blew up (around January or so) that I would be just as opposed to the San Jose Earthquakes becoming "Manchester United USA" or "Bayern Munich USA" or "San Jose Ajax" or whatever!

And I definitely wasn't the only one!

On the other hand, I would welcome any of those teams (including Club America) investing here if they come in and respect the current fanbase by keeping the current identity of the team intact (and that is a big deal - players come and go over the years, as do coaches... but a team's identity and tradition are what remain from generation to generation).

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

See, this is the problem for me. I'm tired of AEG treating the franchise like a red-headed step child. I don't want to be CA's afterthought anymore than I want to be AEG's afterthought.
    I wouldn't want to be ManU's farm team or AC Milan's farm team.
    I want an owner/operator that will come in and run the San Jose Earthquakes like they matter. Not like they're the subsidiary of some bigger club. I don't want to follow CA North (or ManU West or whatever) .... I want to follow the San Jose Earthquakes. If CA owns the Earthquakes fine. But I don't want to follow some other team's subsidiary. Maybe it's just me.

5. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, what makes you so sure? More Mexcians fans hate CA than love 'em. It's not like CA is unconditionally loved by every Mexican man, woman and child. Are the Chivas fans going to buy tickets to suppport CA? And Mexicans aren't stupid ... they're not going to flock to something just because it says CA. Hell, they could be just as turned off by it as we are. Plus a lot of Quakes fans will be turned off (make your jokes, but it drags down your fan base and hurt attendence). And SSS stadiums are NEVER inevitable. If they were, the Metros would've had one years ago instead of monthly press releases say its imminent. CA ownership could just as easily be a disaster -- we could be begging for AEG back. Don't think of it as a sure-fire cure-all.

6. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Current SJ fanbase + new SJ fanbase brought in by Club America - some SJ fanbase that left = x

if x > current SJ fanbase

soccer in the Bay Area will grow.

if x < current SJ fanbase

soccer in the Bay Area take a step backward.

What will Club America do?

They will change the name, change the uniform and keep most of the current players. Of course, a lot of people will be pissed off because soccer is not soccer without the same team name and uniform. How would Fulham fans feel if someone like Phil Anschutz bought Fulham Cottagers and change the team name to London Cottagers and change the uniform to red, white and blue. Oh, with Phil Anschutz as the owner of Fulham, he will build them a stadium and ensure their success in the EPL (aka no relegation and maybe quest for UEFA Cup).

7. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that I wanted to ask goodsport:

You mentioned that you would stop supporting the team if it moved past Fremont, but you support the Giants? Isn't that limiting yourself? I mean, excluding the whole CA thing, what if, in order to get an SSS, the Quakes had to go to Hayward or Dublin, and maybe be called just the "Earthquakes" like the Metros are now called "METROSTARS" without the NY/NJ.

Thoughts?

I mean, after reading this and the Ultras/Alexi thread, I'm begining to understand the frustration of Quakes fans. But what would be the straw that broke the camel's back? The club name changing? The location maybe changing by 20 miles to include more of the Bay Area?

Just to give you an idea, the Rose Bowl to the HDC is about the same as San Jose to Oakland on the 110 Freeway (or close enough). But Galaxy fans were thrilled, because we got a frickin stadium!!

And then we changed our uniforms, cuz they sucked.

So this whole Club America thing, if you break it down, comes down to a few very finite points:

Let's assume that CA is serious and for the long haul.

1) They change the name, and are negotiated down to "CA Earthquakes" (at least for the first season). Would that be enough to make you leave?

2) They guarantee a new SSS, but it's in Hayward. Would that make you quit as a fan?

3) They change the color to Gold and Blue. Is that such a big deal? They could play at Cal!!

I mean, I love the Galaxy, but if our positions were reversed, I think I would be pretty happy that someone was dedicated to keeping my team in my city.
    I would accept that Club America was our new owner, and start supporting them (since I dig on foreign soccer anyway, it might as well be Mexican).

8. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    I'm sure CA will do whatever they are going to do if they buy in here. IMO, if CA is truly knowledgable about the running of a soccer team (as it would appear they are,) then I would think they would have the good business sense to realize that a complete rebranding of this team (full abandonment of the moniker "Earthquakes") would severely damage the existing foundation of your club in the market. Any good business researches before plunging headlong into such decisions. Surely, they know that such a move would not be popular with that core group of 8K-10K season ticket holders that have given their $$ and hearts since day one.

As one of those fans, I can understand that they would want to work their brand into our team somehow and I can RESPECT that in spirit and dollars, if I feel that our heritage/history/accomplishments/feelings are being RESPECTED in return.

Revise the name to San Jose Earthquakes CA. Anyone who knows soccer will know that the CA in this case means Club America. Teams all over the world incorporate initials into their names (AC Milan, FC Barcelona) though I understand that those initials stand for something other than a brand name. The point is, it would be more acceptable if it coexisted with "Earthquakes" instead of displaced it.

Change the Quakes' uniforms/colors to blue/gold and even throw on a CA logo on one of the sleeves and shorts legs. We'll be getting new kits next year anyway (we're due.) I'd gladly make that compromise if we get to keep our team.

As for personnel, I agree with the person who pointed out that MLS has rigid guidelines as to how many international players you can have on a roster so I doubt we'd be a farm team. Besides, the idea is to field a winner and we have that. Again, if you are a learned operator of a soccer club, why would you tamper with a winning formula? That would be stupid.

The only reason I could see for CA rolling in here and making sweeping, drastic changes would be their own arrogance. It would also smack of a plan to set up this market to fail so that CA would have no qualms with moving the team in a year and MLS would not make one bit of fuss about it--the only ones left smoldering in the ashes would be us....the loyal core fans.

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoting my friend, a Chivas fan: "F--k Club America!"

10. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, That is not a translation...that is gibberish. Lot of words thrown in a concrete mixer.

11. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good idea! Tell Club America to go to Tampa Bay or Miami.

12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if a major reason Club America said it was going to invest in the United States is because Chivas (their major rival) said it was. Monkey-see, monkey-do.

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent point, Goodsie. I think this is a main one. I for one would have to be convinced that this move to transform the team's identity into a clone of Club America would bring in Mexican fans in numbers of, say, 100 or so. They won't buy it. The Mexican fan is a fan of his/her team in Mexico; any ersatz imitation would be just that to that fan: a fake.

14. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I see how you managed to rack up 7K posts. . . :D

15. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, nice try. Disagree totally. If one of those owners came in and changed the team's identity and called it ManU San Jose or AC Milan SJ CA, it would stink just as bad as Club America San Jose or what-have-you.

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In six seasons; but look at Goodsport. He's way ahead of me with 12,000-something. He's faster at the replies than I am. :D Cheers.

17. tacos

tacos Member

Aug 5, 2003
    London
    There is a difference here between CA and AEG. AEG can treat us like a red-headed stepchild because it has so many other children. If CA invested in us, we would be the ONLY team it invested in in the MLS. There would be no reason to invest at all if they didn't want to make a profit on the Earthquakes. AEG can make a profit off of other teams it deems more lucrative. CA would only be hurting themselves not to immerse themselves fully into the franchise. If the Earthquakes are making a profit, you know they've done some good things for the team.

As far as the farm club, how many Americans do you hear saying it is their dream to go play in Mexico? Maybe CA will bring a few Mexicans in to the team (max. 3) which might draw the interest of some of the hispanic crowd, but the team will still be full of Americans who will want to play for the MLS or go to Europe.

I really think this could be a very good thing for the club. I just wish CA/Earthquakes would get something done so they can address the concerns of the fans and not let us stew in limbo.

18. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm thinking along these lines as well. There's no reason you couldn't have some sort of reasonable branding / personnel compromise based on mutual respect, as sonofapitch describes here. Of course, there's no guarantee that it would happen, but it's not out of the question by any means.

19. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think putting in Zamorano would be a clear sign of arrogance. What does he know about San Jose? What does he know about American soccer? What does he know about MLS? What does he know about selling tickets? What does he know about the problems and solutions for developing revenue streams in a country that has not embraced the game? What does he know about the local Mexican-American community? What does he know about any other community?

People complain that Alexi Lalas is a neophyte, but at least he knows MLS and can speak English.

20. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you Joser. Besides, if CA takes over the team, it would give me an opportunity to work on my Español assuming they move the games from Fox Sports Net to Telemundo/Univision/Azteca/Telefutura. (Especially if it was close-captioned!)

Hopefully they would still keep an English language radio and/or TV broadcast, too.

You have to admit, if Vergara sets up shop in the HDC, and CA in SJ, the California Cup would get really interesting..

21. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its pretty clear that AEG has never really put the time and effort into San Jose, and because of that, San Jose has never really had a chance to succeed. I accept that as a fact. There is no futre with AEG, because AEG just doesnt care.

So the choices are probably CA or no SJ team. Now I think there isnt any question that the latter sucks and sucks bad, and that the former cant be any worse. Worse case scenario in the former is you ignore the team as if it didnt exist.

So really, it comes down to what kind of owner would be. Rebranding obviously wouldnt go over well... but its not the end of the world. Ignoring the existing fan bases wishes about those things would suck as well... but again, it could be worse. Thats all window dressing, its not really what matters. The ultimate litmus test is does CA compare about the team in San Jose, and is it a fan friendly environment that makes it possible to go to the games, see American players, and good quality soccer.

Now the talk about some of the window dressing doesnt indicate CA being particularly fan friendly. I can understand why people would be pissed. But if all CA did was rebrand the team, but invested in facilities, actually marketed the team, and tried to make the environment more friendly for existing supporters groups, would the name and uniform really matter that much?

It hasnt happened yet. We dont know for sure what CA would do with the existing fan base. So... I dont know how to feel about this. On one hand its extremely discouraging, but... CA may actually end up giving a damn about the SJ market, and the result may be positive, if there are a good share of bumps on the road. Ultimately you have to ask yourself why you support the team, and then decide whether or not thats still possible. I for one dont do that because of the name and uniforms. Changing them would piss me off, but it wouldnt be the end of the world.

I dont know. I dont think the situation looks good. But I try to give people a chance before I make up my mind about them. So... whatever happens, wait and see. I do have a building grudge against AEG, and I wont support any of their teams once their hands are off the Quakes.

22. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose
    My thoughts exactly. Change the name and you've changed the team. And in one stroke, you've given the finger to fans who have supported the club through thick and thin. I still don't see what's wrong with keeping the name (and thirty years of heritage on this side of the border) and including a CA logo in place of our other sponsorships. But, you can already see where this is headed. I'll still give them a chance to see how sincere they are about reaching out to the existing fans. But so far, this has all the ear marks of a hostile takeover.

If need be, for my soccer fix, I'll start watching even more FSW and pretty much ignore MLS, since they've never been a friend to SJ.

23. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

24. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    My guess is that this deal would already have been completed if MLS had caved on a complete team and name change. Have to give Anschutz, Hunt, Kraft and Kroenke the benefit of the doubt until they can't be given it on this issue. That being said, I know there are hardcore supporters out in SJ and God bless, but for that team to have the attendance problems it has is unacceptable for ANY businessman. No matter how committed to the cause. I'm sure you have to understand that. I agree that Earthquakes CA would be the way to go. Maybe keep the blue and than add the CA colors as a 2nd strip. Remember one HUGE ISSUE HERE. Telemundo owns CA. If there is Spanish TV coverage in the offering for MLS as a whole, that will be sincere, that is a huge carrot not to take a bite out of. If Mexican influence ends with Chivas and CA, and a TV contract is offered, along with the Earthquakes keeping some of their identity, this is A MUST BUSINESS MOVE. CA can shell out extra bucks to buy out and keep the Spanish speaking LD. Would be a great PR move. Hopefully this will be the plan that will be followed and this will happen in this sort of way. New fans, while keeping most of the old. Take SJ responsibility off of AEG's hands, (biggest money loser with my M'Stars and that sh**ty stadium deal / die Sake-Liar!) and I can see DC and NY stadium contracts being pushed forward more quickly (I hope). Sounds reasonable...or does it???

25. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, no. The problems remain the same if <pick your international club> completely re-brands the San Jose franchise as the Chucky Cheese version of the mother club. I think that's the problem in a nut shell. Hell, I've wanted to the Quakes have some Mexican players all along.