"Build it Now!" Volume 4

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by athletics68, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Build it and they will come! Hopefully Lew reads this article or others like it.

Kansas City Star
    New Stadium is Sporting KC's best pitch for Soccer

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're more spot-on about this than you possibly realize! :eek:

Earlier today on KNBR, Gary Radnich said something to the effect of how the SF Giants likely wouldn't be selling out every game this season "if they were in third place and still playing in Candlestick Park".

He then received lots of calls agreeing with him, particularly about the "still playing in Candlestick Park" part. One guy even called in stating specifically that he wouldn't go to nearly as many Giants home games if they'd still been playing in Candlestick.

A hundred droplets of beer [​IMG] says that the same applies not just for the San Jose Earthquakes, but for just about every pro sports team just about everywhere these days.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "Soccer is real now in Kansas City, legitimate in a way that just isn’t possible while bouncing around between a high school complex and the T-Bones’ ballpark."

When, if ever, is soccer going to be legitimate in San Jose?

Because building a stadium at least the equal of what Kansas City has is what it's going to take. It's not like the KC phenomenon should come as a surprise to anyone here. We've been saying all along that a first-rate new stadium is the elixir for a floundering MLS market like KC -- or San Jose.

San Jose is the best soccer market in the country. It's a better soccer town than a hockey town or a baseball town. And the Quakes are a better growth stock than the Sharks or the A's.

But it all depends on the stadium. Build it now and build it right. No excuses.

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree that it would take a stadium of at least no lesser quality and seat capacity than Livestrong Sporting Park to accomplish that for San José.

KC is probably the most accurate comparative barometer for us (minus the fact that their market thankfully hadn't been burned by relocation) since while most other MLS teams have traditionally had a higher overall attendance average over the years (at least officially) than San José, KC has actually had a lower overall attendance average over the years. So if that's what it took over there, then no less than that kind of effort by our ownership and front-office is what it'll successfully take here.

-G

5. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on, Lew. You've heard the fans. Get off the pot!!!

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you mean piss already? If he gets off the pot the team goes up for sale and we're back to 2005 all over again.

7. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Lew's beancounter says, "hmmmm, no. It's not time yet."

I swung by the site today, and I see they've filled in that giant hole from the underground tank they dug up. The backhoes are gone. It's as idle as it can be.

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And why did they move? Wasn't it because their public help fell through at Bannister Mall??

Apples and oranges folks.

9. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were already getting $273m + a $30m tax rebate, but post-economic-crisis they couldn't raise their share of the money for a large development that included retail, a hotel, and office space. They asked for additional loans from the city, but didn't get it. They went somewhere else for a better deal.

Apples to apples, except Lew knows better than to ask for the loan ;-)

10. jotadia

jotadia New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Miami
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spartan Stadium seemed very small as far as the soccer field dimensions. What were the soccer dimensions of that field? anybody know?

11. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss Spartan field, but it was only 70 yds x 110 yds (64m x 100m). Even with that meager width, there was barely enough room to stand outside the touchline for a throw-in.

FIFA minimum width is 50 yards?? No way! :confused:

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though Spartan Stadium's within-the-lines playing field after the 1998 stadium renovation was officially listed at 70 yds x 110 yds, it was realistically around 68 yds x 106 yds. :eek:

In the renovation project, they kind of cheated and made the total (wall-to-wall) space about 70 yds x 110 yds. That left insanely, dangerously little room for the players between the touchlines and the walls (though not that it wasn't beforehand either).

-G

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I miss Spartan. It may have had many flaws but the crowds were bigger and the atmosphere was much better than anything Buck Shaw has to offer. Those were the days.

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss Spartan Stadium insofar that given the choice, I'd prefer an enclosed stadium to an open-end one. Also, its seat capacity is more of a major-league capacity.

The crowds and atmosphere were bigger at Spartan not only because of the stadium's seat capacity compared to Buck Shaw Stadium's, but also for other reasons including that the San Jose Earthquakes were the only game in town (NASL years), the relative newness of the team and league (the Clash years and even their first year back as the Earthquakes) and of course The Golden Age (2001-2005).

However, even before Spartan replaced its grass field with FieldTurf fairly recently, the two massive advantages that Buck Shaw has had over Spartan from 2008 on is the semi-permanent video scoreboard (having a video scoreboard at Spartan for more than a few games was always deemed unfeasible for whatever reason), and especially both the total and playing field size.

That last one (field size) is a huge factor, one that for me ultimately tips the balance toward Buck Shaw Stadium over Spartan Stadium despite anything else. That's what made it that much more disheartening when Frank Yallop initially chose not to utilize it to its fullest at BS the first several years and what makes it that much more gratifying that he pretty much is this season.

It's interesting to see the gradual growth of the within-the-lines soccer playing field size toward the ideal 75 x 120 yards:

• Spartan Stadium (pre-1998 renovation): I don't remember, but it obviously must've been less than 68 x 106 yards
    • Spartan Stadium (1998-present): 68 x 106 yards
    • Buck Shaw Stadium (2008-2009): 71 x 110 yards (except for the last few home games each season when it was lengthened to 71 x 115 yards)
    • Buck Shaw Stadium (2010): 72 x 115 yards
    • Buck Shaw Stadium (2011): 74 x 115 yards

Even with the home losses and the Earthquakes' players occasional mental lapses, the overall gameflow at home this season has been better than it's ever been, with hardly any congestion in the middle of the field and with a lot less plays toward the touchlines dying out prematurely (though ideally it'll be widened one more yard and lengthened five more yards next season)! :)

-G

15. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I agree, Spartan had a few flaws but Buck Shaw is a dump and an embarrassment, it just screams "I'm cheap and second rate".

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You said it, Mr. falvo. The biggest thing absent from BuckS stadium is that cordial atmosphere. Loved it at Spartan.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Every match in every way was a party and I had a blast each game. Sadly, none of the games at Buck Shaw compare to any the times I had at Spartan. Those memories are still vivid even though 5 years have passed.

18. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also screams "we're homeless."

19. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they really wanted to limit the Quakes' popularity, they could have, maybe, not restarted the team at all.

20. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <snip> And what does it matter to you what the stadium is like? It's not like you will ever make the effort to attend a game in person.

21. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheap compared to who?

22. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A cheap owner in San Jose is better than a rich owner somewhere else. Nobody knows how long it will take the league to get a decent TV deal, so can we blame him for staying within budget for the time being? More specifically, there hasn't been the demand they expected for season tickets and for sponsorship. They're still learning how to market the sport, and they're getting better. (I have seen more billboards and heard more announcements of upcoming matches on the radio than ever.)

In contrast, look at AEG. They're shopping for an NFL team to move. They don't even own one, but they want to harm the some poor city and the league as a whole for their own profit. Meanwhile, the A's and Quakes have stuck it out through some lean years. Lew is alright by me.

... I still give the stadium a 50% chance of getting built, though.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You don't need to spend money in MLS. You just need to know who to pick the right players to fit the buget. I think its ludicrous to spend 20 mil on two players like NYRB. I mean what happens if one is injured , capped or ineffective? We aren't talking about Europe on how in Italy, Milan, Inter or Juve or in England on how Man United , Chelsea and Liverpool outspend everyone. With the salary restrictions, it will not work here.

24. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're really killing any credibility you have by trying to put "original" together with 2000.

25. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the name was changed from Clash to Quakes at the end of the 1999 season--October, as I remember.