'JOB's future at Ajax decided this week'

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jinne, Mar 24, 2004.

1. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    true, but can you imagine what kind of a contract he can demand from ajax (or any other team) after an injury-free season? this is a high-risk, high-yield contract. if he stays healthy the positives outweigh the negatives.

and keep in mind that job is almost dutch. he bleeds ajax red and i doubt he wants to leave.

2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

has it ever occured to you to keep your idiotic comments to yourself?

3. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm

Considering his health the last couple of years, I think the contract offer is more than fair.

4. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I am intrigued by your theories, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

5. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Base the contract on game's played? I don't know. Maybe if by 'availability' they mean that he's medically cleared to play.

Otherwise, that puts his financial interests directly at risk every time he plays for the Nats.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw some guy on the sidelines that was JOB's doppelganger, and wondered if he'd gone to Poland to be with the Nats. Turns out, it was the 4th referee.

7. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    bluedaddy- I think your attack is uncalled for. What is idiotic about it?

Look I like Ajax. Great if John stays. I guess as an Ajax fan, you believe he is a good player, and maybe he 'owes' Ajax something for sticking by him these years. But a soccer player's life is short, and one has to consider all the options.

O'Brien is a talented stud. If he trials anywhere in which there is a midfield need (I see him more as a midfielder although I know he plays left back for Ajax), they will see his quality immediately, and want to sign him. If I were Tottenham, I would sign him over Convey (let me qualify: sure Convey younger, but Tottenham needs to improve quickly, and O'Brien can do it w/o pause, learning curve).

With his resume, O'Brien may not need to trial. Sure, some teams will get turned off by the injuries, but we've all seen enough players who have had all sorts of problems (including injuries) get signed by clubs willing to take a risk- take a formerly-injured or disgruntled player, and hope they get a "find".

This all may be moot. It seems (given his various comments about retiring) that JOB is not a wandering sort. All he's ever know is Ajax. But I think it's silly to imply (if that's what you are doing) that O'Brien can't get better than a 1 year/"only if you play" contract, for fact of matter is, he likely can get a better deal elsewhere. Issue now is: Would he want to?

8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that most other clubs know of John's injury situation and would offer similar deals, but probably not for as much money.

I was surprised to learn that John has only played 4 games this season.

Odds are he'll stay in Ajax and hopefully have an injury free season. I think we should all say a Novena or whatever your faith allows for him to have an injury free season.

:D

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

you say my attack was out of line... i say it was unnecessarily called for

look at my track record: any wingnut US fan that suggests JOB should leave AJAX for any reason will receive a heaping helping of my wrathful scorn - is this even the first time we've had this dance? - yes or no, i don't care... so choke back those tears and grab your favorite spoon

10. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    You need a lude, dude...

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

what has two thumbs and still doesn't give a crap?

bluedaddy19... i thought we'd met

12. usagoal

usagoal Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Las Vegas
    I think it's those 25 days he went without high speed internet. :eek:

13. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    Is he literally almost Dutch? Cause an EU passport for him would be nice, although he's been there so long I guess the Dutch must not give out citizenship to residents.

14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

i asked this before.... I trhink I 've gotten the answer, but forgot the answer. Does he have a Irish passport?

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

that would be no

16. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Italy

Yeah but I heard that was a bunch of Bologna. :)

17. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001
  18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

you just can't be serious

19. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001
    It's the latest craze (Kirovski, Hejduk, Walker, Twellman, Donovan).

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    yes, it is of utmost important WHERE he plays his 5 games every 2 years.:)

21. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    ...Gibbs

22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

wrong... the LATEST craze is howard, mathis, los boca, mcbride and soon to be donovan

dear lord help these people because they have NO IDEA what they are doing - what could johnny O possibly gain by playing in MLS? for that matter, what would the national team gain?

bottom line: if you want JOB to play in MLS, that means you want every single US player to play in MLS... and, in turn, that means that you are dumber than a bag of hammers - do us all a favor and go find a new interest, you don't deserve this game

23. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001
    If the MLS is good enough for Landon (the golden boy of American soccer), it's good enough for JOB.

24. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He settled for MLS as he couldn't settle in Germany at the time.

JOB has proven he can settle, adapt, and make it work in a foreign country.

25. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

Right, the day that Landon Donovan is ever as good as John O'Brien as a soccer player... this comment might have some validity. John O'Brien started off as a talented kid, and he went where the best coaches are and now he is the most technically sound and talented american soccer player ever.

Landon Donovan is a talented kid....

and thats all that JOB and Landon will ever have in common.

Donovan doesn't have the drive to ever come close to O'Brien.