Andy Najar

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Susaeta, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't need to. If he plays any game whatsoever for Honduras, he is gone from the US field.

2. ricksoccer

ricksoccer New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Most people think he is a lock for Honduras but I think he should hold out for his citizenship then make a decsion. It will most likely be before 2014 World Cup, (I think the honduras paper said 2013). I don't see how playing for the under 20 team will help him, I am sure D.C. United will not let him go for the qualifiers anyway. I have read there not going to let Perry Kitchen go for the U.S. Hopefully he doesn't make a rush decsion.

3. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    yall are paranoid.. I don't see anything wrong with them.

I think its the fact that he's rocking Honduran gear that has yall thinking his pictures are "suspect"

4. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    Considering the Honduran media track record, it'd be more insane to think it wasn't doctored

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Not true.

He could play friendlies for Honduras and still switch to the US.

6. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No he couldn't. He's not a citizen of the U.S. yet. Once you make any appearance with a national team, you can only switch to nations you had citizenship with at that time.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No he couldn't. That would only worked if he was eligible to play for the United States right now, which he is not.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sandon is right on this one. There's a caveat to that you guys need to remember.

Once he makes an appearance in an official FIFA "A" international...........he can't ever switch to the US. (because he's not eligible for the US. If he was, he could petition for a one-time switch a la Teal Bunbury)

So if Najar plays in a friendly for Honduras at any level, it wouldn't cap-tie him. If he plays in the U20WC qualifying match, U20WC, Gold Cup match, etc. then he could never play for us.

9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And speaking of Teal Bunbury, it turned out that his FIFA switch hadn't been processed when he appeared for the US in South Africa.

Clearly, friendlies have zero import in these matters.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Bunbury was always eligible for the US.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You still have to submit the proper paperwork...............which, for instance El Salvador failed to do for Dustin Corea.

But since the US' match with South Africa was a friendly, it didn't matter. If it had been a Gold Cup match, the US would have violated the rules.

The modern USSF wouldn't mess something up so badly, though.

In the past, these issues weren't as big of a deal. Joe Gaetjens, our hero of the 1950 World Cup, was never a US citizen in his entire life.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know the early days of the World Cup were a bit like the current World Baseball Classic (Arod played for the US and Dominican Republic in different tournaments).

You might be right about Najar, but I can't find the actual rules anywhere.

13. CapeCodFutbol

CapeCodFutbol Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here ya go. In relevant part:

18 Change of Association
    1. If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new
    nationality
    , or if a Player is eligible to play for several representative teams due to nationality, he may, only once, request to change the Association for which he is eligible to play international matches to the Association of another country of which he holds nationality, subject to the following conditions:
    VII. ELIGIBILITY TO PLAY FOR REPRESENTATIVE TEAMS
    (a) He has not played a match (either in full or in part) in an offi cial
    competition at “A” international level for his current Association, and at
    the time of his fi rst full or partial appearance in an international match
    in an offi cial competition for his current Association, he already had the
    nationality of the representative team for which he wishes to play.
    (b) He is not permitted to play for his new Association in any competition
    in which he has already played for his previous Association.

From: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/01/29/85/71/fifastatuten2010_e.pdf

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    :D
    I have nothing else to add, I just wanted to highlight that. Was I subtle enough?

15. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and Sandon are both saying the right thing (approximately) for the wrong reasons.

You're right that Najar could play a friendly for Honduras (at any classification) and still play for the U.S. in the future. FIFA's regulations are clear and consistent on the point that a friendly does not tie a player in any respect.

You're wrong, though, that he could play in a non-"A" level official match. Because he's not currently eligible to play for the U.S., any cap-tieing match (that is, an official U-XX match) would eliminate the U.S. as a possibility for a future switch.

CapeCodFutbol quoted the relevant section of the rule, but only highlighted one of the important parts. The other is, "at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition for his current Association, he already had the nationality of the representative team for which he wishes to play."

16. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    yup. you pretty much need to be a dual-citizen at the time you played for one of the U-XX teams. look at many of the french-born african players now. they were dual citizens and could make the switch when they saw that they had no chance to "graduate" to the French senior level.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't think he said that.

18. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  19. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
  20. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The prodigal son returns...

21. Beserkr29

Beserkr29 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Will believe it when I see him out in the starting lineups. If true...honestly, not as big a deal as it would seem. Andy's a talent for sure, but we've got a lot of midfielders at every level pushing for time. If he were a pure forward or LB, I'd be losing it. But as much as I hope Andy dons the shirt for the USMNT, I'm okay if he decides to play for Honduras.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy Najar will play for Honduras from Honduran papers is starting to seem to me like batboy from the News of the World.

23. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Honduran officials in that article say it's a done deal. He's gonna play for his country. His representative (Rongen relative) is trying to hold everything up by saying he's got a game on the 19th & blah, blah, blah...

But it's over, Najar is Honduran after all. :)

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and batboy just attacked five Honduran kids. I saw it in the papers.

I'll believe it when I see it.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This is what's so strange about this saga.

The kid isn't American. He's Honduran. He can either wait years for the US, or play for Honduras now.

Who knows what could happen two years from now. He could get injured, and his career could be over.

You've gotta strike while the iron is hot. Playing for Honduras..................as much as it pains me to say it, would be the absolute right choice on his part. It's not like Honduras is San Marino. They've qualified for the most recent U20WC, Olympics, and World Cup.