NSR: "Don't Ask - Don't Tell, Eh?: The Keep Jadger Safe Thread"

Discussion in 'Bayern Munich' started by ForeverRed, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    also saddens me that in perhaps the one country in the world where you can overthrow the govt if they aren't doing a satisfactory job, people are taking too many things laying down. Like the kid says, im sure most haven't read the constitution.

2. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The kid is a freakin' nut - he has some serious issues and is definitely an example of anti-social behavior.

Tea Party movements or left wing liberals are not at fault here.

You don't just shoot down 6 people because you disagree with the politics at hand. The kid is a loony tunes.

I won't blame politics on this nor will I blame either party.

3. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Forget the Constitution, let's look at the basics. Most people don't even know what the 4th of July celebrates, nor who the declaration was against, much less the year, original 13 states. Heck, most probably could not locate the US on a fuckin' globe....

4. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    too many people comfortable and 'fat' in their daily lives...when the constitution was established they had to fight to build what the people now enjoy. It's left the current population not entirely sure of where to go next. IMO

5. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The issue with the Constitution, was that it was written by a group of people that had a particular enemy in mind. Over 200 years later, the "right to bare arms" sort of doesn't really hold true to our era.

6. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Its not a perfect document, but i was more alluding to the things that are relevant to our era like "right to overthrow government if they ain't takin care of business", but people are too busy being distracted by jersey shore :)

7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ha ha ha...true.

MTV generation X

8. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Btw, speaking of mtv generation, where's keith?? He needs more yellow in his avatar right now! :cool:

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

10. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If only.... :p

11. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Of course, we already KNEW a giant squid was attacking th Jersey Shore...

[​IMG]

12. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Meh, Humin, I love ya bud, but this is pure tripe. The kid was, by all accounts, into LEFT wing crap AND into anti-immigrant, gun-loving stuff. This tragedy has zero to do with politics and has everything to do with the lack of health care and parenting to keep this nut-job off the street!

Cris nailed it: The kid was a nut-job. Something broke loose in the last 5 years and he became a danger and NO ONE, especially not the parents, bothered to do anything about it (as far as we know right now). We could as easily blame the Internet, Facebook, Twitter and video games as we could weak gun laws and right/left wing groups for what happened, but we all know that's crap. Kids get into stuff like that because 1) parents do not take an interest in the kids, 2) teachers don't teach and do not mentor anymore, 3) contemporaries are cruel and bully people without anyone stepping in stop it, and 4) left alone and without friends, kids finally turn to the Internet and video games to fill a void...they get desensitized to violence from TV and film and games and, without the aforementioned people to help them identify right from wrong, the go off the rails. Add to ALL of that the fact the kid might have been genetically predisposed to psychosis, and you have a real f'ed up cocktail....all that was needed was a match to set it off.

Another time we can debate the Constitution. In law school it was my fav class. I took any course I could in Constitutional interpretation. We argued for months over it and I enjoyed it, but I cannot ascribe to it being out of date. It all depends on its application. Right to bear arms? Sure. Right to a high-powered, semi-automatic Glock with a high rate of fire, larger magazine and FMJ bullets? No focking way!!!

Sorry for the diatribe. Me done.

13. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    watched an interesting documentary film last night called Restrepo.

Basically it was a camera crew following every move of one company in the Korangal Valley in Afghanistan for a full year.

Worth a look.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1559549/

14. SoccerMIGermany

SoccerMIGermany Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    OC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Have to challenge the bolded part. It ain't that simple and that's really unfair to a bunch of people with a difficult job. Teachers don't have nearly as much authority in their own classrooms as they used to. I've known far too many teachers who have tried to do more who have had their authority undercut by paranoid administrators and meddling "helicopter" parents. You want to argue that education is a mess, I'll agree, but don't put it it all on teachers. The majority of teachers I know do care are doing their best.

1 person likes this.
  15. SoccerMIGermany

SoccerMIGermany Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    OC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'll second this. Bonus material on the DVD is really good, too.

16. cwcoach18

cwcoach18 Member+

Apr 1, 2009
    Club:
    SV Waldhof Mannheim
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I agree with this. The majority of teachers do mentor and inspire. However, the reality is that one hour of the day in an overcrowded room with little leverage and administrators breathing down your neck about some insignificant piece of statistical information they need loses out to 4-6 unsupervised hours after school.

As a coach you also have an opportunity to mentor but it still needs to go hand in hand with the parents, and the rest of society. Everybody has a responsibility to mentor, teach, and lead.

Like it used to be said: It takes a village to raise a child.

PS: I believe that this view is very "American". In Germany none of my teachers really mentored. You went to school and then you went home. The interaction with the teachers was minimal other than during class time. My mentors where my coaches. Sure some teachers inspired me too and taught me some life lessons.

It is a bonus if teachers take it upon themselves to mentor and teach life's lessons because it is not happening at home. Believe me, teachers have to do it just to have a properly functioning classroom. They teach much more than math, and English, etc...

They teach discipline, right and wrong, respect, proper behavior in public places, proper language, etc...

Parents who rely on teachers to do that are neglecting their duties. Not saying you do that LB. I know mostly how you think about that and how you raise your kids.

17. Mr. J

Mr. J Member

Apr 14, 2008
    SoCal
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nowadays it's never the kid's fault. A lot of "not my child" syndrome from parents. When I was a kid, living in Pakistan for the first 7 years of my life, principals and teachers would be allowed to physically reprimand children with a ruler to the hand or a slap to the face. When I received these punishments and went home crying, my parents' first response was, "Well, what did you do?"

In my opinion, too many parents today (not calling out any parents on this board - just a general observation) trying to be their kid's best friend, or parenting along the path of least resistance. Too worried about having their kids love them. My mom told me that she didn't care whether I loved them or not, because she knew that regardless of how I felt about them, I needed them for my day to day survival, and as long as they had that, they owned me. I was their b*tch! :D

1 person likes this.
  18. cwcoach18

cwcoach18 Member+

Apr 1, 2009
    Club:
    SV Waldhof Mannheim
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    My mother would always tell us: There will be a day where you have to stand on your own feet.

She was harsh at times. At least I thought so. Now I am glad and can tell her that I love her for bringing me up well. I am standing on my own feet not waiting for someone else to bail me out, but fending for myself.

I used to get in trouble a lot. Yeah, surprise there:D and my mom would go to school with me to talk to the teacher. Actually I talked and she just sat there. Her philosophy was: You got yourself in this mess! How are you going to get out of it now?

Obviously she would stick up for me if I was in the right and punished or treated unfairly.

[​IMG]

19. Mr. J

Mr. J Member

Apr 14, 2008
    SoCal
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    LOL! Must spread. Great cartoon and so true.

I cannot believe that a bullet passed through Rep. Giffords brain, and not only is she alive, but is able to communicate. Here's to a healthy recovery.

20. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Probably because of this. Not that she's directly to blame of course.

[​IMG]

21. cwcoach18

cwcoach18 Member+

Apr 1, 2009
    Club:
    SV Waldhof Mannheim
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    :eek: I hope/am sure that they will change that graphic ASAP. No need for crosshairs

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  23. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That was up on her website/facebook up until yesterday. She took it off as soon as the thing was announced. :rolleyes:

24. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    a lot of what's been said about the school system is true, I'm just glad I was done school before this crap came up. But the military has even taken this idea now too! You can no longer fail out of a course in the military, you can only drop out. if you don't pass a test, you can take the test a million times over. fat ppl go to basic training (boot camp) and then fail the physical test, and get sent to fat camp until they can pass the test, all the while making the same amount of money as people who actually take care of themselves. The instructors aren't even allowed to touch you without asking your permission, that is stupid! when I signed up, I was expecting, if not hoping, for a bit of a beat down.

25. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Damn...You always have to have that one idiot take takes things that freakin' literal.