Orlando City SC news thread 2010

Discussion in 'Orlando City SC' started by SoccerPrime, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Potential Orlando USL1 team part 2

We have updated the Orlando Odyssey Fan Club website. We've included details of the meeting on the News and Events page. You may notice we changed most everything to blue based on recent suggestions posted by BigSoccer members frequenting this thread. Right or wrong, we feel we are all in this together.

We could not agree on a secondary color. We debated for an hour. After agreeing to shelve the matter, we started "brain-storming" on a Fan Club logo. This subject was also hotly debated. Another matter shelved. Like Winston Churchill said: Democracy is the worst system on Earth...except for all the rest. We did agree on other agenda items (see the website). The name is getting around and has, so far, enjoyed positive reviews. Our biggest challege is growth. We're working on that too.

Some of us are going to the last FCTBR match on Friday (10/1/10). Hopefully this will be the last time we'll politely clap for this lot.

We have faith and hold out hope that Donner & Company are going to field a team in April, 2011. And then, like Eisenhower in June, 1944, we're gonna storm Dale Mabry like a tsunami from hell!

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great that you guys are meeting and talking about things. Also like the charity events your planning, pure class.

Blue is great choice. Peach and Gold...maybe not. How about Orange?

FC Porto...
    [​IMG]

3. FLSoccerGran

FLSoccerGran BigSoccer Supporter

Liverpool
    United States
    Feb 2, 2005
    Poinciana, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Orange isn't bad , but I really hate blue and there is too much blue already - especially that bright, medium blue! The Union's navy blue isn't too bad, but I'd like to see some innovation!

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Blue in the US is a little old. But it depends how you do it.

KC Wizards? Fail

[​IMG]

Philly? better
    [​IMG]

Vancouver will be blue in MLS next year too...
    [​IMG]

5. FLSoccerGran

Liverpool
    United States
    Feb 2, 2005
    Poinciana, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My favorite is RSL, followed by Seattle (the original, not that awful neon green they've been sporting recently), and as much as I hate the Galaxy, their uniforms are pretty classy looking! I am just tired of Blue and also Red!
    It's not like I'm suggesting "Palermo Pink" - or lavendar or whatever that very unmasculine color is called!!!

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You must mean old RSL. New RSL jersey has barely any blue.
    [​IMG]

7. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Orange would be fitting considering the county, but the Islanders already have it, as well as Houston.

8. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Orlando Odyssey prides itself on its reputation. That means if we hear something, and the information is credible, we want you to hear it as soon as possible.

Orlando Odyssey FC has it under good information that news for the team is imminent. Sources indicate that an announcement is likely to happen next week. If not next week, know that October holds the answers. Orlando Professional Soccer Team Coming in 2011 is here. Congratulations to all of you who kept the faith and made the case for Orlando.

BTW, we think Burgandy is a great color for the team (hint hint).

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

good news! Hopefully I can plan a road trip to watch my Battery play down there next season!

10. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando

Hump day of the week that there was going to be news. Hopefully, the news that was maybe-gonna happen this week didn't then wind up coming out of San Antonio about the new NASL side there.

I wonder how many additional weeks this adds to the timeframe for whatever announcement may happen in Orlando.

11. FLSoccerGran

Liverpool
    United States
    Feb 2, 2005
    Poinciana, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are Burgundy & Claret considered the same when speaking of football jerseys?? (As in Aston Villa & West Ham?)

12. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes.

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And Burnley.

14. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando

Any new poop, anyone? Into mid-October now, any murmurs floating around, or anything about an impending news announcement event?

15. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What I find most interesting is no one is willing to discuss their sources. I could say "sources tell me the colors are red and white...like Arsenal" and just leave it at that, but I'm not in the game of making shit up for no reason.

16. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Our contacts have asked to remain unnamed. We respect their choice to remain anonymous. Are you saying we have passed on misinformation with respect to burgundy being the team's primary color? What then is the team's primary color? And are you prepared to name your source of information?

WorldGame is simply seeking information about Orlando's new professional soccer team. We all would like to have a little more information. We're like little kids sneaking downstairs to peek at our Christmas presents before dawn. None of us mean any harm.

You, me, WorldGame and everyone else posting on this thread want the same thing. A hometown soccer team we can support.

I, for one, am looking foward to attending an official Orlando Soccer Supporters Club Watch Party tomorrow (10/12/10). Like our website says: Ralph's Mob / They're Coming / We'll Be Ready.

17. Ajaxlawyer

Ajaxlawyer New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Florida

Any new intelligence emerge at the watch party?

18. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the post, Ajax. Missed hearing from you. Nothing new to report. It was kind of a meet and greet. Orlando Rays and the others were good people. Thanks, Rays, we appreciated the invite.

There was some drunk at the next table who insisted on enlightening us all on why baseball was a brilliant game of strategy and soccer was stupid. I thought he was annoying FlaSoccerGran. I approached and was simply going to explain to him the virtues of the beautiful game (and suggest that perhaps we continue our conversation outside) when FootballfriendZ grabbed the back of my shirt and pulled me back to our table. "Take the high road." she said.

Z was right. We should all take the high road. Easier said, than done. I just don't believe a soccer supporters group should take any crap off of anybody. Z ended up going back to Dizzy Dean's table and convinced the three other dudes sitting there to watch the soccer game. It was hilarious.

We met an American Outlaw, who showed up because of the post she read on Big Soccer--shows the power of this message board. She's even given us additional leads on expanding the membership.

All in all, it was a great night. It did what it was intended to do, bring us together.

19. FLSoccerGran

Liverpool
    United States
    Feb 2, 2005
    Poinciana, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All in all, it was a great night. It did what it was intended to do, bring us together.[/QUOTE]

It was a great night - enjoyed meeting everyone! The baseball blow-hard really wasn't bothering me - just his ignorance was! I thought it was pretty cool that his buddies ended up watching soccer rather than the demolition of the Rays!

20. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just a reminder: The Orlando Odyssey Fan Club will be holding an important meeting on Saturday, October 23rd, at 12:00 Noon. We'll be gathering at The Celt in Downtown Orlando (directions on our website). We hope that all BigSoccer Members living locally can join us. Mark Dillon told us he plans to attend and answer questions.

We plan to mix a little business (agenda items) with pleasure (pub quiz and tasty beverages).

We hope to see you all. Remember to bring a can of food for the Second Harvest Food Bank.

21. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A recommitment to the cause

It goes without saying that I've been a tad...absent lately. My day job with Arena Football takes up a lot of my time, but also I recently decided to take a break from soccer and recharge my batteries. I'm back, and I'm very excited.

With the USL team definitely coming, it is time for the OSSC to take things to the next level. That means more events, but more importantly, it means we need to extend ourselves in the Orlando soccer community.

When I started the OSSC nearly two years ago (holy $h!t, has it been that long?), I envisioned it as an umbrella group (see: Section 8 Chicago) organizing the various smaller supporters groups in Orlando. The reality of living in Orlando is that is very spread out. Having a watch party near UCF alienates a large part of the population. Same with Downtown, Winter Park, Hunter's Creek, etc. Now that Odyssey has arrived, it is time to continue that expansion.

I challenge every Orlando soccer fan that lives outside the reach of our usual watch parties to start your own group at an establishment that is convenient for you. Let's grow the Orlando soccer community as much as we can!

22. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Glad you are back Adam!

One of the articles in our business plan is to work with satellite groups. That's what we did last Tuesday night and a great time was had by all.

On Saturday, we'll be discusing the many community service efforts we will be undertaking. We have started a food drive and plan to organize a Charity Auction.

I agree with you Adam. More supporters groups = more voices = more success for Orlando's Pro Soccer Team.

But make no mistake. We plan to be a HUGE group. And you won't be able to find an umbrella big enough for all of us to fit under. Now let's get serious...does anyone out there know a curse word that rhymes with "Rowdies"?

23. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando

I realize no one can say anything to anyone, but is there any inkling of the timing?

I already know the answer. Just thought I'd ask.

24. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much bigger than just Austin

Just spoke to my major source...this Austin news is only part of a much larger picture.

Don't think of this as Austin moving to Orlando. That's not really the case. Don't expect an announcement of the Orlando Aztex, because it isn't coming. Orlando isn't "stealing" Austin's team. What is coming is much, much bigger.

Stoke City, the club behind the Aztex, is partnering with the USL Pro expansion side coming to Orlando for the 2011 season. They are not the only European club partnering with USL Orlando. There is at least one more big name partner I'm aware of, and there could be more. I know of at least one team that hasn't commited, but was interested.

I've also been told to expect an announcement in the coming days regarding the new club. This is HUGE news people. Stay tuned for more!