Game 28: Seattle Sounders @ KC Wizards (P/I/P)

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Yoshou, Oct 7, 2010.

1. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    No I'm a referee...which means I know what a trip is.

2. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must be one too then. Because it was pretty obvious that Parke's foot hit Bunbury in the back of the leg just above the ankle.

Still, no need to fight boys. Big Nate, the Nate Train, is here to save the day.

3. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    THANK YOU...I thought I was going crazy. How could people not see that even when they're given the clip zoomed in and in slow motion?

4. joe-soccer

joe-soccer Member

May 2, 2010
    Seattle area
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It's not easy to see, even on the replay. When we saw it replayed during the game, I was certain there was no contact. Now, with several more looks, I will begrudgingly admit maybe an acceptable call.

5. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It would be nice if we can see a reverse angle on it.

6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the plus side, WTF cares if the call was good or not. We won!! Woohoo!! We're in the playoffs!!

7. gblfxt

gblfxt Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed with above, some awful reffing, but proud of the sounders with being able to pull it out in spite of. sadly, if we had ljunberg, he would still be bitching to the ref and not playing the game.....

8. Ballard

Ballard Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Ballard
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad we won't have to watch the Sounders play on the that field again. That was an ugly game to watch despite the win and the great finishes from Nyassi and El Flaco.

Hurray for the Wizards getting a new stadium.

9. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I thought the ref had a bad game.
    Although I think it was the right call on the PK.

If I was to disagree with the call, my reasoning would be that the ball had already gone too far ahead and the KC player didn't have a shot at getting to it regardless of if he got tripped up or not. But I actually think he had time, hence I think the PK was the right call.

10. Ballard

Ballard Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Ballard
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a ref does not at all make you more expert in recognizing trips. Every human alive knows what a trip is--when they see it.

In this case, I also saw a trip--it looked like an accidental tangle of feet, but that usually counts for a PK. I wasn't at all surprised by the call. I was shocked at a couple other calls.

11. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I wish they gave refs that option...however could you imagine if the ref chose that option with the Sounders with our playoff hopes on the line.

12. joe-soccer

joe-soccer Member

May 2, 2010
    Seattle area
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Agree with others. Terrible field, ugly soccer. And I don't think the ref had a good game, pk or not. What about that yellow card to Montero--was that for the first push or second :)

13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the way from Seattle? You wouldn't know if that was a trip or not if it happened five feet in front of your face. :rolleyes:

14. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If that was a legit PK, then Community America is the Nou Camp. Yes Teal took a touch from behind, then he took a pretty nice swan dive. The refs have to call them, but its not like he was tripped over, he took a touch and decided to go down.

Fair play to Seattle, they deserved the win. You had a pretty decent group in KC tonight, I'm just sorry they got to sit behind home plate, behind a net ... those seats are the worst in any stadium in MLS by a mile.

15. soundersFCfan

soundersFCfan Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    definitely a PK. Awful game on that tiny pitch - about a bazillion turnovers. Glad Sanna and AF netted 2. Good subs by Sigi (not sure about the Marshall sub, though - bad idea to retreat into a shell defensive posture when you can whip in crosses from the half field line in that tiny field - ugh).

16. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true. I mean don't you have to be blind to actually get referee certification?

17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blind and a giant pole rammed up your ass. ;)

18. gblfxt

gblfxt Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 bad refs in a row mean we get a break next game?

19. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And don't forget that whole thing about never knowing your dad ...

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention them all being Catholic altar boys... :p

21. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Don't worry about it we just won't bother to show up next game. Have fun.

22. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Lets just call it a soft PK call then shall we. Either way we're in the playoffs... Weeeee!

Not the best effort from the boys. I'd rather blame tired legs then a small pitch for it, but that's just me. Plus, KC came out aggressive and ready to play. They closed our passing lanes down almost immediately.

Overall, this game reminded me of the Sounders early in the season only the exact opposite. Controlling possession, attacking, but not much going in the back of the net. Tonight not near as much possession, but we took care of the opportunities we had. The Jacqua and Flaco subs proved to be key.

23. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Here is the thing. An accidental tangling of the feet isn't a foul is it?

If the player plays the ball too far ahead of themselves and can't get to it before the ball goes out of bounds, but accidentally gets tangled up with a defender, I don't think that should be called as a foul.

And, gblfxt, we want to save our karma for the playoffs imo.

24. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Not a yes or no answer. It absolutely can be...like say when it's from behind and in the box...it looks a LOT more suspect than just an accidental tangling of feet. Parke looks to me like he's kicking his leg out since it goes forward and out away from his body. I've seen similar challenges in Serie A where the player tries to claim it's incidental. It could very well be incidental but it's still a trip.

Deliberate only comes into play with Handling fouls...not trips.

You say that it shouldn't be called a foul...fair enough however it's not what referees are instructed to call.

25. Ironthumb

Ironthumb Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Jiangsu, China
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Picture #1 - The initial contact
    [​IMG]

Picture #2 - The result of the contact (Parke falling, Bunbury still running)
    [​IMG]

Picture #3 - Flop
    [​IMG]

How does Bunbury go from running normally (picture #2) to both feet in the air falling to the ground (picture #3)? And no, his left foot did not hit his right calf to trip him up. If you don't believe me watch the replay.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/videos?catid=1822&id=9500