Transfer thread #4: Some people are just too ugly to be Madrid players

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Oscar, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    What you're saying would only be valid if Di Maria's participation in yesterday's game would be the only appearance he made the whole tournament. Since he still has at least two games to play barring injury, which would alter his stats, it is short-sighted to place as much relevance on this one game as you are trying to do.

And please tell me which Di Maria supporters hype him up specifically on dynamite NT performances.

2. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Tbh they (you too in some posts) hype him about anything and thats doing more harm then good for his "case", kind of like Zinaldo did for Cissokho.

The hate this guy gets is also unbelievable, i guess it has something to do with those Benfica trolls praising him like he was Messi.

3. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    We must have different definitions of "hype" then :rolleyes:

His performance with the Argentine NT overall has been impressive on almost every level. If that's "Zinaldo-esque hype" then I guess I'm guilty as charged.

4. plyka

plyka Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Since logic DEFINITELY is your strong suit, let's try this:

"Proven Commodity > Unproven Commodity"

Sure, if we are talking about the exact same commodity. However, i would rather have an "unproven" but likely ounce of gold over a "proven" ounce of Silver. Di Maria is not proven. But his talent alone over his league games as well as his international games, makes him a very high valued commodity. A valued commodity which our new manager -who has just come off his 2nd champions league title, along with...well, a million other trophies and accomplishments- obviously thinks will be a great fit with our squad (otherwise the rumors or irrelevant since we wouldn't sign him).

"Gonzalo Higuain > Angel Di Maria"

Since when are we talking about a trade between Gonzo and Di Maria? Even if Di Maria fans, which i've become recently, admit that Gonzo is better than Di Maria, i never knew you had to be better than Gonzo to be purchased and to play on Madrid? Secondly, just because Gonzo plays in La Liga doesn't automatically mean that he is "proven." Gonzo has yet to prove his elite quality in big time games. I'm talking champions league games like Lyon, or the Classico's or, well, games where the competition is elite and the stakes are large. This is not to say that Gonzo is not a great player. Just that your "logic" is flawed. The logic that puts all the weight on whether a player is "proven" or not, according to your definition of "proven."

"David Silva > Angel Di Maria"

Well, they are different players so it really matters what you need for your team. Taken in a vacuum, however, i would still take Di Maria. Of course it's not by much, but from what i've seen of Silva, i haven't been too impressed. Di Maria on the other hand has shown glimpses of greatness.

Basically, your argument is flawed. It is ridiculous to use such a small sample size in determining a players value. Di Maria did have a bad game, but then again this was Messi's first good game in an Argentina uniform for ages. In fact, Di Maria has outplayed Messi for the last year or two of international play. And as the other poster already stated, 1 bad game is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Gonzo had a bad game but he is still one hell of a player. Another flaw in your argument is basing your value of a player on "proven" or "unproven" worth. Just because something is proven does not automatically make it more valuable than the unproven.

And...i'm tired of writing. I for one am hoping that we do sign Di Maria if it is for a reasonable price. Something $20m-$25m would be a great signing! Of course i don't understand losing Marcus Alonso, since he seems a very good talent. In any event, having Di Maria on one wing and Ronaldo on the other would be an incredible attack. Very balanced, and potent. Proven or unproven.

5. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Whenever anyone brings up Liga Sagres, the Benfica supporters pop out of nowhere and post youtube highlights to his golazos for Argentina.

6. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    You're seriously using the mindless rambling of Portuguese fanboys to support your argument? Nice.

7. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's fine, but our manager shares an agent with the player and doesn't have the most inspiring transfer history when it comes to wingers. We also have a viable alternative. Your argument makes sense, but it depends on how likely that ounce is actually gold and how much that ounce is going to end up costing.

I was merely pointing out why comparing Di Maria's performance yesterday to Higuaín's was disingenuous with respect to this argument. Di Maria's NT performance is only useful in trying to figure out if his talents in Portugal will transfer to Spain.

To imply that David Silva hasn't shown glimpses of greatness is kind of misleading IMO. This is just where we have to agree to disagree because I think Silva's track record in both our league and internationally speaks for itself. Your valuation of two is based more on what you've seen with your eyes, and that's fine. That doesn't make my argument flawed.

I never did. I don't think one game is a good sample size. But one game is also kind of important given that his stock has ostensibly been based on his NT appearances, and that in the context of his NT time played, one WC game is a significant amount of time to disappear. As I said, I'm more than willing to let him prove me wrong.

Completely irrelevant. We're a club team and Messi has been dynamite for his club for quite some time now. NT performance is only [partially] useful when you can't accurately gauge how well a player would adapt to your league/team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expected_value

You're technically right, but if you can't see how a player's value is increasing in their displayed ability to compete in the competitions you're involved in, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I wouldn't mind 25ME or perhaps even 30ME for Di Maria provided:

1) We didn't already have a fairly talented versatile young LW who already has 95 appearances for us. He provided plenty of assists last season and seemed to improve as the year went on. We already know that he is capable of playing very well in our league.

2) There wasn't an alternative that I feel is better in every respect that can probably be had for under 40ME

As it stands right now, I'm not sure if #2 is feasible; for all we know Valencia have closed up shop and aren't going to sell Silva to anyone. But I know that #1 is, and that's why I don't see any sense in spending even 20ME on a player I don't believe is significantly better than what we already have.

8. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    And Mourinho seems to consider Marcelo a LB so where does that leave us?

9. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    Everybody look!!! Shiny object over there --->>> <<< ----

Cool, huh?

So what about Kolarov? I was expecting a bit more from him today. It looked like he decided (was told) to sit back after Tagoe showed his speed and willingness to go at people. I read/heard so much about him going forward and not being disciplined defensively that I was surprised by how timid (?) he was today. Can someone enlighten? Anyone? Anyone? Buehler? Buehler?

10. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    Look Alma, I'm trying to "hype" Di Maria so I have no time for shiny objects or Kolarav :D

That Lazio guy said if we had questions to drop into the thread and he would answer them though.

11. MajorDuh

MajorDuh New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    Did I miss the interview where Mourinho said that?

12. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've watched him around 10-15 times this season, this was an unusually "timid" performance by him. He usually gets forward a lot more. In the first half he was playing more as a wing-back, but I think the coach asked him to be more reserved in the 2nd half and especially after the red card. Not a good game from him, he usually does better.

13. razingtonbear

razingtonbear Member+

Aug 8, 2007
    Di Maria sucks.

14. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
  15. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    Thanks. I hadn't seen him before, but timid seemed like the appropriate word. It wasn't even like he was trying to get forward and not getting the ball, he played a lot tighter to the back than I was expecting.

Carry on with the Di Maria stuff.

16. MajorDuh

MajorDuh New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
  17. raven3k

raven3k Member+

May 31, 2007
    Madrista land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I know everyone is talking about Di Maria, how certain is it that Valencia want to sell Silva at all?

If Valencia was so desperate, i am pretty sure we would see a plethora of bids or huge movements for him. There has to be more to the Silva transfer? Esp considering his track record, it just seems very weird.

18. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Silva only has 2 years left on his contract, so unless they want to wait until he has 1 year left, allowing him to go cheap...they better sell now.

19. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    How can you be so calm about it? :mad:

:D

20. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Oye, get back here and talk about Taiwo!

:mad:

21. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    Not sure I can say a lot about him. He looked solid yesterday - until that toe poke shot when he looked like he pulled something.

There are two things that are giving me trouble with the transfer rumors: 1) I haven't seen a lot of minutes from these guys (Di Maria, Kolarov, Taiwo); I have seen Gerrard, but I would prefer not to go in that direction... and 2) I am not sure I know what Mourinho is thinking about how the team will play (formation, how far he'll push up the back line, etc). I mention this because he may see Kolarov or Di Maria or whomever fitting specific roles he has in mind for his plans and those roles may not be the same those individuals play today. For example: he sees Sergio Ramos as a central defender. Fine. Maybe in his mind, these players we are rumored to be linked to can be molded to fit a specific role in the system he has in mind.

Apparently Mourinho has convinced the club to forget about a preseason tour in Asia and instead stay in Europe after they come back from the US. I'd like to think he too is a key part of the transfer discussions. I have no idea - maybe I just want to convince myself that these names are not random ... maybe I am giving Mourinho the benefit of the doubt. I don't know. I am just rambling now ... and you are still reading this ... so I've managed to confuse you too ... excellent.

22. plyka

plyka Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well, you definitely argue your position well. Sometimes it just comes down to personal preference. I didn't mean to imply that Silva doesn't have greatness in him, just that i haven't been impressed with him in the times that i have seen him. While I have seen Di Maria a lot less, I have always been rather impressed (with the exception of the last world cup game which you brought up). For our team, however, i really think that Di Maria would be a better fit. Di Maria has a lot of pace and technical ability, and suites our more direct style of play in attack. His finishing is absolutely potent, and has a lot of room to grow. Just thinking about Ronaldo on one side with poor man's Ronaldo on the other side (di maria) gives me chills. He provides the same style of attack (albiet not even on the same planet in terms of quality), and provides a good balance in my opinion. Silva is by far the more creative player and would provide more chances for others, while Di Maria would provide the lethal direct attack and potency.

That said, i would be happy with either, just a bit more happy with Di Maria. Not to mention Valencia which will be in the CL next year gets to keep their best player. I always like La Liga to get stronger and show what its made of on the biggest club stage.

Maybe he's earned it and it is the wise decision to give him the benefit of the doubt?

23. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Jose will be in Madrid today. He will meet with Valdano and Pardeza who will update him about the current negotiations for players.

According to AS, Di maria is the priority. Benfica president will be returning from Macau today as well and negotiations are set to continue. They want 40 and we are offering no more than 25. Jose has already spoken with Di Maria who is very excited to come here.

Jose has already started making changes at Valdebebas. His personal items are already in his new office. He has already set up a video viewing area where he will do all his homework. He not only will have video sessions with the entire team but every player will receive a separate DVD specific to their position and their opponent on that matchday. He has also spoken to the chief of security at Valdebebas and asked him to make sure that fans don't gather outside the gates (as they do now) and ask for autographs from players as they drive in.

Jose has spoken with Karanka almost everyday on the phone but now will spend more time with him and get to know him personally. Jose also wants to make better use of the Madrid Lab. Ever since Walter Salvo left that place has not been properly used. He wants the club to hire a guy who can manage that lab better and make it the cutting edge sports health facility that it was intended to be.

He is also putting his finishing touches to the pre season. GOOD NEWS FOR ALL ANGELINOS. The team will be in L.A from the 28th of july to the 8th of August. They will play a friendly against The Galaxy as well.

Jose told AS that, "i would like to turn a canterano into a star". He is meeting with Ramon Martinez as well, who is the director of the quarry. He has asked for detailed information on Sarabia, Marcos Alonso and Rodrigo. He seems really interested in the youth setup.

The paper seems to believe that negotiations are well underway for Di Maria, Maicon and Kolarov and now attention will be paid to the Mediocentro player. Jose wants a player who can play just ahead of Xabi but who also has defensive capabilities. His first option was De Rossi but that is almost impossible so the emphasis has shifted to Stevie. Madrid has already made contact with his agent and Liverpool wants 30M for him. Jose understands that the price is too high so he wants us to negotiate.

In the case that we are unable to sign Stevie, Jose has given his list of alternatives that includes,

Javi Martinez
    Schweini
    Cesc :confused:
    Motta

24. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    Where is this juicy info from Frankie? :p

25. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007