Will this Germany shed stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by balla_basti, Jun 4, 2010.

1. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

2. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    My comment on the issue regarding WC spots for Europe:

While I agree that it is a World Cup, I still think Europe should get more spots.
    In 1998, the World Cup was expanded to 32 teams of which Europe got 15. Before that, Europe had 13 teams out of 24, so the rest of the World profited more from that expansion than Europe.

The 1998 World Cup was then dominated by European teams and the distribution remained the same for 2002.
    As we all know, 2002 wasn't exactly the year of UEFA countries for various reasons. This was then used as justification to take one European spot away. So in 2006, there were only 14 European teams.
    2006 of course was thoroughly dominated by European teams, but instead of giving Europe their lost spot back, FIFA decided to take yet another one away from Europe. This time, they claimed that the host nation has to be counted separately, so in 2006 there were already only 13 UEFA countries plus the host Germany. That is of course a BS argument as it has never been true in the past, because Asia would then have had to lose 2 spots from 2002 to 2006 for example which of course didn't happen and neither did Europe lose a spot from 1998 to 2002.

So while it's great to have teams from all over the world at the WC, countries like Honduras or North Korea only add to the WC in terms of their novelty factor.

Looking at the performances past and present, Europe certainly deserves 15 spots, probably more, but since it is a World Cup, I could also live with 14 spots. 13 is a disgrace though (same as in the 1994 WC with 24 teams).

So either that or more cross continental play offs. Europe could get 9 secure spots, plus 9 play-off spots, that would amount to 13.5 WC spots (9+9/2). That would make things fairer in general.

3. HerrRupert

HerrRupert BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 4, 2005
    madras
    ah voila
    like i said too many crap teams thats why the whole 1st round kind of a waste to a large extent these teams are only there beacause of fifa coruption (Blatteretc) and corporate marketing interests
    i think it should be europe plus arg plus brazil and 4-5 external teams max would then more acuratley reflect perf also i mean australia has almost a gurantted place so is the usa (qf ag honduras? lol) there should be playoffs w european / sa teams

4. HerrRupert

Jan 4, 2005
    madras

well indians are pathetic at most sports maybe aside from cricket which arguably nobody but india and some islands in the caribean plays lol
    and yes i would rather watch paint dry

5. HerrRupert

Jan 4, 2005
    madras

u misunderstood me i was just answering the poster who said its not about the best teams but about teams representing the world lol

6. HerrRupert

Jan 4, 2005
    madras
    it should be something like uefa 5 yr coefficient continental spots based on past performances etc... but that would upset fifa politics

7. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahh, ok... sorry bud :D

8. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :rolleyes:
    Well, some other Islands - England, Australia, NZ play cricket too.

Apart from cricket, India does excel in a lot of sports. Unfortunately, football is considered a girly sport, where referees are always around to cut off any aggression. That's the main reason India doesn't excel in the game YET.
    Some games in which India has an absolute domination over the others:
    Kushti ( free style wrestling) - dominated for centuries, if not decades by wrestlers from India, Pakistan and Iran.
    Chess- Vishwanathan Anand defended his world championship title for the 4th time.
    Badminton: Couple of our guys and girls intermittently win the All England Yonnex Badminton Championship
    Snooker: Pankaj Advani is the world champion. Or maybe its Pool or Billiards. Not too sure.
    Field Hockey: from the 30s to the 70s we pretty much won every world cup and Olympics. Now days we're quite poor though.
    Shooting (Rifle): Couple of medals in the Olympics and world shooting championship medals.
    Archery: I hear we're pretty good at that too.
    Spell Bee contest- Some Indian kid in the US won that
    Arm Wrestling- Deepak SIngh Bhairron won the arm wrestling WC for the 3rd time running
    Lagori: India has been winning that for the last 40 years
    Elephant Polo WC: The objective in this game is to hit the puck while seated on an Elephant, into the goal. We beat Sri Lanka in the finals to take home the cup
    Bhangra World Cup: We've won every edition since the first competition in 1928, except for one in the 60s which was won by Pakistan.
    Giddha World Cup: We've won all of these since the inception of the competition. Simran Vig, the current champion is a distant relative of mine.
    Bharatnatyam world cup: We are world champs since 44 AD
    Ludo: We are champs since the reign of Emperor Chandragupta Maurya

Need I list more?

And mind you, all these sports have more viewers than what , f.e the Bundesliga has in a given season. Come to think of it, apart form football, Schumacher, Lasker, Hasselhoff, Steffi Graf and a few swimmers from the GDR who doped, Germany doesn't come anywhere close :p :D

9. Kimmyongguk

Kimmyongguk Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Beijing
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    So why do you like this girly sport that disgusts the majority of your fellow Indians?

Never heard of the majority of these World Cups you mentioned. I'd think they mostly involved India and its South Asian neighbors?

I am no German but: Germany consistently ranks in the top three of the medal count for both the summer and winter Olympic games. Where is India?

10. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    How is population at all relevant? :confused:

Anyway, according to your "logic," why even bother with qualifying? Why not just include the highest-ranked teams?

11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Because Poorvi is a girl...:)

12. BayernGirl08

BayernGirl08 Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Heaven
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's why i made sure ppl knew i was a girl in my name lol. poor poorvi.. :(

13. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You missed the joke. That entire post was supposed to be funny, which apparently, its not. Half those 'sports' are not even sports. Bhangra, Giddha, Bharatnatyam are dance types. Ludo is a board game. Spelling bee, is well, spelling bee. I also made up the stuff on arm wrestling and elephant polo.

Also, I don't know of any Simran Vig. If a real Simran Vig does read this post, I'm sorry, its just a coincidence and I didn't mean to associate you with the Giddha.

I posted that because the poster prior made a generalization which isn't true.

14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don't worry, Poorvi - I actually did laugh!!! :D

15. BayernGirl08

BayernGirl08 Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Heaven
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i didn't. i thought i was learnin stuff. guess i'm slow :(

16. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don't fret. Its true till (and including) the archery bit. :)

17. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    At a glance, it is real easy to miss...I had to do a double take and say, "wait, what?"

18. Pfeife

Pfeife Member

Dec 19, 2005
    I found your list hillarious, but I still thought you were serious and trying to prove a point ;)

tbh, I think sports in general are not considered as important for the national identity of India as it might be for other nations (like for instance China).
    Also, I think in India there are living many different people with very different cultures, and many of them don't really feel as Indians in the first instance, but have their local pride. That makes it difficult to evoke something like national team spirit in their teams.

These are all just vague ideas from my side though, I have only been in India one time in my life :eek:

19. BayernGirl08

BayernGirl08 Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Heaven
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thx 4 tryin to make me feel better, but i think the stereotype thread has gotten to my head. :( only fitting, right?

20. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hilarious post. How could you forget carrom?? I love carrom!

21. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Why would Germany want to change ....??...seems like their approach has worked out ok in the past.

22. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    cos now england are a serious challenge where before they were just shit

;)

23. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Lucky for you the Germans know how to take penalty kicks.....

24. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    they'll come in handy in the 2nd round ;)

25. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah.. Carrom and Kabaddi should be a part of that list... :p