Random jibberish

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by LucciAficionado, Jul 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose
    By the way, in the same vein as Master and Commander, I've heard some really good things about Horatio Hornblower on A&E. Apparently they have two new movies coming on, one tonight and another tomorrow-both at 8pm.

2. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooo... what did you think of Master and Commander Goodsie? Or anyone else?

I'm waiting for it to arrive at my $1.50 Tuesday's movie theatre. But it's at the $5.00 Tuesday's theatre tonight and I'm thinking I might just go there since it's darn near right down the street.

I refuse to pay almost $10 for a movie!

3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    An excellent series, one I highly recommend. No beaver kissing in it though, but still very good.

4. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So doesn't Horatio Hornblower start tonight? And if so are they like replaying it a million times.

I really want to see this, but I'm kinda confused on how it all works. Is it a mini series or a movie or what?

Also, can anyone who has DISH tell me what time this is on? For some odd reason I tend to get eastern times on my DISH. So if it says it starts at 8pm eastern it's usually 5pm my time. Does this happen to anyone else and will it happen with this show?

Tanks for the info!

5. europa1057

europa1057 New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    California
    Is that the one in Milpitas? Hubby and I used to go to that one a lot when it was $1 Tuesdays, then the bastards raised the price 50%! :p When they first had the cheap tuesdays the place was always empty, but now it has turned in to quite a crowd so we don't go as much. That, and we moved from Sunnyvale to Los Altos so the rush-hour time drive to the theater takes a lot longer.

6. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Re: Re: Random jibberish

I recommend it, too. Even without beaver kissing.
    The first series of episodes was excellent. Too bad I'm going to miss this one, but maybe A&E will rerun it after January 6. The girls thought Iain Gruyfudd [?] (I can't remember how to spell his name in Welsh) was really hot.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Thanks for the info, Mike. I'm sure I'll check out Haunted Mansion at some point soon. :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Today I went to see Timeline, and it was suprisingly good (surprising only in that there wasn't much hype leading up to the movie's release). Of course, I should've expected it to be good since it was directed by Richard Donner.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I would go far as to say that it was the most consistently entertaining film of the three I've seen in the last two days!

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I'll go see The Matrix: Revolutions pretty soon, although I'll probably want to watch my The Matrix: Reloaded DVD right before (I've seen it once in the theater already, but it was a while ago). And before I watch The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King in the theater, I'll need to watch the Extended Version DVD's of the previous two The Lord of the Rings movies. :cool:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I liked it a lot! There were a few slow moments in the film (typical for a Peter Weir film, like in The Truman Show), but not necessarily in a bad way - more in the character-building way. :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Overall, I highly recommend it! :cool:

-G

9. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it is. And I haven't really been there when it's been crowded. Another reason I like it. It's not the craziness of Mercado to the Centuries.

10. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Random jibberish

I wanna do that too. But I'm not sure I'll have time cuz I have my final the night it opens. The final I still have yet to even read a single page for. :D

11. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I move that we change the forum's tagline...description...what the heck do you call that thing(?)...to "It's all about the beaver"

:D

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Random jibberish

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Skip your final - we all know what's more important!

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Seriously, though, I heard that some theaters are having marathon sessions by showing the Extended Versions of the first two films back-to-back, followed by the Theatrical Version of the third. Sounds interesting, even though the Extended Version of the third won't be coming out (on DVD) until sometime next year. :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I'll still most likely simply watch the two current Extended Versions at home before heading out to watch the Theatrical Version of the third.

-G

13. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy heck! I wouldn't be able to sit that long! That would be like an all day thing. I'd do it if there was a break in between movies to walk, eat, pee.... You know do the essentials. And if it was on a weekend. :D

14. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooo...they're doing that at the Metreon! :eek:

Dang Wednesday openings! :(

15. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's fishin' sold out! :eek: The trilogy I mean.

People are crazy!

16. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Just got my tickets to "Return of the King" for Saturday the 20th. This makes three years in a row my friends and I will have seen the series on the same date. I used "Fandango"to pick them up, no waiting in line and only a dollar a ticket service charge. You can print the voucher out on your home printer and take it to the box office, no problems at all. Never wait in line again and avoid "Ticketbastard" outragious service charges.
    Have to go now, I'm on a beaver hunt.

17. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blonde joke warning....

She's so blonde she sold her car for gas money.

I think I know people who are stupid enough to do something like that. And none of them are blonde.

18. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Blonde joke warning....

Hey now, ease up on the blonde jokes. There are blondes, male and female, posting on this thread, you know. (Mind you, I do resemble some of the jokes.) :D

19. bcguy4quakes

bcguy4quakes BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 27, 2000
    Santa Cruz, CA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hornblower series

Erin,
    The Hornblower movies are a sporadic series. it started in 1999 with 4 episodes, then in 2000 two more were aired, and this year, 2 more. I think in the coming year there are 4 more scheduled. Tonight is the second of the two for this year, and for the west coast feed of A&E is on at 8PM, 10PM, 12Midnight and 2AM. PST. If you get the east coast feed, I guess they would be on at 5PM, 7PM, etc PST. However both of this years episodes are going to be rebroadcast on Sunday, 12/7 at 10AM and 12Noon. on the west coast feed. You should be able to record those, as I presume you will be at the Chriistmas parade downtown to cheer the Quakes float.

20. bcguy4quakes

bcguy4quakes BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 27, 2000
    Santa Cruz, CA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Excellent article. From our own tedwar, I believe. :) Well, done Tony.

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I agree... excellent article (although the Quakes wouldn't have been contracted even if they lost to Miami in the 2001 playoffs, but Ted is correct that the rumors of that were there at the time)!

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It brought back memories of the mediocre and dark days of pre-2001, an era many of the newer posters here couldn't even comprehend!

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It's funny that Ted mentioned the 2001 season opener in LA as the first real turning point of the franchise, and many here may consider the quick header by Troy Dayak for the Quakes' first goal in that game to be the first sign of things to come - but for me, the sign came a few minutes earlier:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The Fallacy was counter-attacking and one of them attempted a cross that fell somewhat short, as Jeff Agoos (in his first game as an Earthquake) calmly intercepted the ball on a dime and just as calmly made a routine pass up front.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp "So what?" you may ask. "Aren't central defenders supposed to do that routinely?"

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Why, yes they should. Yet it showed how much of a shambles the pre-Yallop SJ MLS teams were that such a routine defensive play was such a revalation for fans of a team that had the chaotic John Doyle, Tim Martin, Mauricio Wright, Dan Calichman, et al manning the back for so long. From the very start in 1996, I often watched the better MLS teams on TV in the early years (like DC United, Kansas City, etc.), watched how they applied high-pressure on their opponents while still going about things calmly and effectively, and wondered what it would've been like if San Jose could someday be like that. For the longest time it seemed that that day would never come... yet now, three years into the team's transformation, we now expect no less from our San Jose Earthquakes.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Once again, nice article Ted, even if all this reminiscing has reminded me of my oldness. :(

-G

23. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonderful article, Tony! Brought back many memories. With all the complaining I'm seeing on other team's boards, I'm especially proud to be an Earthquakes supporter. Just hoping we can keep this team together next year...

24. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    God, did you have to bring that up, Goodsie? I've got these pains that start up whenever I think of that. Memories floating in a nightmare. Amazing isn't it, though, it's like we lived in the dark ages and came to know the Renaissance. :)

25. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Hornblower series

Thanks for the info! They were on at 5, 7, and 9. I have no idea why I get the eastern times on my dish. But I haven't really bothered to ask them. I didn't catch the series. But thanks for letting me know about Sunday. I'm just gonna tape it then!