Adu -- is it a question of BB's pride?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dogmatagram, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are underestimating Adu's ability because he's American or has played his youth soccer here in the states. He can't possibly be as good as the great Macheda or Walcott, please.

The premier event for youth players is the U-20 WC for players from Concacaf right? He was a bonafide star in that tournament against players still a year older than him and some even 2.

His first goal against Poland is superior to Macheda's strike. It was from a tougher angle and the ball curved more. His move against Brasil has no equal that I've seen recently unless we're talking Messi and the like. This was not against MLS or other such crap but the cream of the South America/European competition. (most of them pros already) His passing was sublime and really amazing. A coming out party for Adu really.

The Olympics he also showed his worth against the likes of Holland, etc...

Why are you guys downplaying his accomplishments? If he never plays another game of soccer he's already given me memories I will never forget.

I know you guys think Adu fanboys are off their rockers but I've follwed Adu's career closely and I don't think I've ever missed a game he's played in. Why? He has that ball on the string thing that only the great players have shown like Zidane, VAlderamma, Platini, etc...

Now I'm not saying Adu's can even hold these players jock straps yet but he has that type of ability. It 's like Lebron James when he came out of high school. Everyone could see his potential, but look how long it took him to dominate.

Adu's in that same league, he just needs time and he's has to fight other factor's like being American and coming from MLS doesn't help him at all. And he's ********ing 19 years old man...

2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes,he is 19.By the time he's 23, I expect the better ,tougher and more skilled version of Landon Donovan that we've been hoping for for five years now.

Or,you know,not.

3. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    You realize you're reinforcing my point of view right?

4. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    A few years back, when ManU and Barcelona were doing their tour of the states, Alex Ferguson was being interviewed and was asked a great question:

How can you tell if a youth player is going to turn into a great player?

Sir Alex's answer was instructive. There was only one player he'd seen as a youth prospect that he was absolutely certain would become a great pro:

Ryan Giggs.

Not Beckham, not Scholes, not even Rooney.

Ryan Giggs.

Why not those others? So many things can intervene -- women, alcohol,and,the worst of all, laziness and an inability to believe you can get better. Even with the most talented of players, well, you can just never be sure.

The reason Giggs was the only player Alex could say this about? Complete mental toughness, dedication, an obsession with becoming good. Not just talent, or great moves, or a great shot. What's above the neck, not below it.

Just sayin'.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    500. If there is interest, you can start a new thread.