Torres:Pachuca vs Santos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Pass-n-Go, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Torres is starting

2. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Santos had a goal called back for offside

3. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    1-0 Santos

4. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    1-0 Santos HT

5. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Benitez dribbled it through Pachuca's defense and scored.

6. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Wow, did he!

7. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    It was not like a Maradona-type or Messi-type solo goal. Bad defense by Pachuca

8. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007

No but it was a good strength, speed and determination.
    What were those 2 changes, I missed them, they flew past to fast.

9. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Torres subbed out

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is that raw sewage in Dirty Sanchez's hair??

11. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Thanks, they flashed the info so quick I didn't see either... was distracted

12. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    1-1 Pachuca from a PK

13. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    A PK coming up for Pachuca. Santos player sent off.

14. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    2-1 Pachuca

15. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
  16. El_Gringo

El_Gringo New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not think Gringo played bad the first half. He was typical Gringo, almost never turned the ball over and served as a hub for the rest of the players. But he is so intimidated by the other mids and forwards around him, that he plays too timid. I actually like him more when he plays on the US squad. He plays with more of a swagger. I get the feeling that his Pachuca teammates aren't as nice to him as his US teammates.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think JFT is timid per se I think he just has to defer to the guys around him. Giménez, Álvarez, and Rodríguez are the "old guard". They are seasoned vets. Rodríguez is just two years older than JFT but he's pushing a 100 games for Pachuca. Those three have probably all started 75 games (or close to it) together. They know and trust each other. Slowly but surely they are starting to trust JFT. I've noticed in the matches I've caught they really protect JFT and try not to put him intomany compromising situations. They still aren't leaning on JFT too much. You'll noticed too the manager, Meza, does the same. JFT is not always out there late in the game when everything is on the line. He's gets sacrificed because he's still inexperienced comparatively speaking. Pachuca has a veteran side but they are cautious with JFT. I think as the season wares on he will further gain the trust of Meza and the midfield which will enable him to play more freely. Meza is highly respected and his hands on approach with JFT will pay dividends for their club and the US.

18. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post. I think its pretty spot on too. I think at Pachuca, he is in a well established system with lots of veterans in a league with a particular style and as M Vann says, he is being brought along at a good pace but without putting too much pressure on him. Perhaps with the Nats thats not the case. And it may be a function of club soccer versus national team soccer to begin with.

19. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Getting subbed out early rarely seems to affect his playing time in the next game, which, in itself seems indicative that they regard him very highly. This is really the best of both worlds, as he is being brought along slowly, and he is getting to start games and play a central role. M Vann nails it. This is a veteran club with a winning mentality. They see something in him; but they aren't overstressing him right now. He's lucky to have found such a good club situation. As we know, there are some other Yanks who aren't so lucky.

20. El_Gringo

El_Gringo New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like your point about the veterans and coach protecting him, since he is young and his confidence is probably fragile. I didn't think about it from that perspective.

But why JFT defers more to the Pachuca veterans and not to the US veterans I still don't understand. I could argue that he should defer to the US veterans more. He has spent less time with the US. And the US veterans are better than the Pachuca veterans. But there is something in JFT's head that says "I am going to show off my skills" when he is in a US uniform. But he doesn't have this same thought in the Pachuca uniform. Maybe it's as simple as he gets a bigger adrenaline rush playing for the US. And this manifests itself in his play. But I wonder why?

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could be simple as Bob expressing his willingness to allow JFT to play more freely or it may be a product of his environment--- i.e. the adrenalin you mentioned. But for me it has to do with his role. For the Nats he comes off the bench. He has to come in and make an immediate impact. That's his job. JFT's had a very defined role for Bob thus far. He brings a stable and calm influence with his possession. It has allowed him to freely spread the ball all over the pitch. He makes smart and calculated decisions. With Pachuca he does the same things but in a lesser role. At this point he's viewed as a link player who's sole role is to compliment Giménez, Álvarez, and Rodríguez. He doesn't have the keys to the car yet but that's ok because what he is learning from those three. He couldn't have better tutors. How Meza is using him will pay dividends for all parties involved (Pachuca and the US). Some players you can throw to the lions to test their survival while others you let them smell the lion, pet the lion, feed the lion but only in supervised environment not alone. That's what Pachuca is doing with JFT. I wouldn't worry about him having two different thoughts when he's with Pachuca and the US. Most of our boys have different roles for club and country. I really wish Adu, club wise, had the same helping hand as JFT.