EURO2008 Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Euro 2012' started by benztown, May 29, 2008.

1. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Hi, I'm making an Excel spreadsheet for the EURO, so that you can easily predict your way to the final.

Here's the Excel 2007 version.

For older Excel versions, click here.

Check it out, it should work fine but in case you find any errors, be it problems with the layout on your computer or faulty logic, please let me know so that I can fix those...

2. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I've been testing and I found one miner bug in my randomizer which is the final tiebreaker in case two teams are totally equal.

Anyway, I corrected that and also added a second sheet which provides an nice playoff overview.

I've skipped the Excel 2007 version, because despite what office told me, I can't see any differences, so this version should be okay with most of what's out there.

So here's the final* version.

3. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Unfortunately there was another bug...the goals were added up incorrectly for groups B-D...that's what you get when you only test your formulas for one group and then copy & paste...sorry about that.

Here's the finally final and bugfree version (I hope)
    ;)

4. ncfcb

ncfcb New Member

May 29, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow, looks like it took a lot of work. Thank you for making it!

5. jv9008

jv9008 Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I love the spreadsheet, especially the coloring and logo on top, just one question though: What time zone did you list the games in?

6. Pirlo_Il_Maestro

May 31, 2008
    Australia
    Great job on the spreadsheet, however there is one error....Group C. France is listed twice in place of Italy (how dare you lol) and the points etc are not adding up correctly.

7. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Time is in CET, the time is Austria

8. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Did you get the latest version? This sounds like a mistake in my first version, where I made a mistake in my randomizer.

If you have the latest version, it could still happen, it's however extremely unlkely, because two of the four random numbers that are generated would have to be the same.

Could you please be more specific? If you have the old version, the goals in groups B-D were added up incorrectly.

If t is the new version, could you please tell me what exactly went wrong, so that I can fix it?

Just to make sure, here's again the link to version 1.1: click

9. Pirlo_Il_Maestro

May 31, 2008
    Australia
    Ah sorry benztown i must have downloaded the 2nd version and jumped the gun. Anyways great job once again, its perfect to predict so may alternative outcomes.

10. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Great that it's working fine now.

I've had the chance to see it on an older Office version and I have to say that it doesn't look that good there. The colors are quite different (brownish instead of red) which doesn't fit together anymore. But worse, you can also click on cells that were marked as un-clickable which makes it a little less convenient, because its not as easy to navigate now.

If I find some time, I see what I can do about those problems on older Excel versions. I can't promise anything though because I'm working with Excel 2007 in my office. If you're using that as well, you can already see the way it was intended ;)