News about Will John and Lee Nguyen from RandersFC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by randersfan, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If size is so important for the 5'9" John, why did KC play the 5'8" Eloy Colombano and Carlos Marinelli and the 5'10" Kurt Morsink in midfield -- for their bruising ability?

2. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have missed a major point: PSV made the decision that it is not worth their while to keep him. Your point addresses the present. PSV's decision addresses both the present and the future. They let him go because they lost their bet with themselves about Nguyen having a future at PSV. My reading is that PSV gave him a free and clear shot and Nguyen failed the test.

3. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I'm not going to get into this game.

This is what my wife or an employee does when she doesn't like something or some policy. She /they try to isolate one instance and turn it into all instances.
    I've dealt enough with wives, employees, PR people and lawyers to know better.:D

There are some excepetions. I have stated that. MLS has not played great possession, tactically savy soccer over the years. With a few exceptions. Anyone who disagrees needs to get a clue. It is changing thankfully.

This does not favor the less physically gifted technical types in general.

It doesn't. Every league plays a style where some types get more chances to thrive while in others they wouldn't. Fact. To those who do not comprehend this basic point also means that they need to get a clue. Different leagues/cultures/coaches value different things. Fact.

MLS history has never been a great place for this type of player. What type? Young skilled, inexperienced, not overly physical Americans. Not seasoned pros from other countries.
    (Something I should have emphasized sooner - young inexperienced Americans, not seasoned foreign pros who have beeen immersed in a soccer culture since the day they were born and are more prepared)
    Coaching, style and lack of a proper youth reserve/structure work against them also.
    I think it's pretty clear.

Instead of looking at this as some kind of contest it should be looked at as a good thing. Guys who can't make the grade the MLS way can in other decent leagues. They will continue to and I suspect, actually I'm sure, more will do so in the future.

The guys I mentioned do not thrive here for the reasons I have stated.

Watching the league it is no thard ot see why.

They will get chances elsewhere because there is more opportunity and the style is more welcome. All there is to it.

I'm certain that if you wanted to go name for name, the players who have dropped off of the face of the map here, who could have played elsewhere at a very good level, would overwhelm your list.

The easy response for you is to say that my last point is moot if I can't name them. Easy response for you because you can justify your postion with something I can't, or don't want to research over the years.

All I have to do is watch this league (MLS) and see what they value/cater to, and watch other leagues and see what they value. Not hard to see.

We have a lot of kids here in the US who could make very nice livings in Europe in good leagues like Denmark. They are finding this out. Numbers going overseas will keep increasing. Playing time and money will dictate it if MLS teams don't give these guys more chances.

5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I'm not going to get into this game.

This is what my wife or an employee does when she doesn't like something or some policy. She /they try to isolate one instance and turn it into all instances.
    I've dealt enough with wives, employees, PR people and lawyers to know better.:D

There are some excepetions. I have stated that. MLS has not played great possession, tactically savy soccer over the years. With a few exceptions. Anyone who disagrees needs to get a clue. It is changing thankfully.

This does not favor the less physically gifted technical types in general.

It doesn't. Every league plays a style where some types get more chances to thrive while in others they wouldn't. Fact. To those who do not comprehend this basic point also means that they need to get a clue. Different leagues/cultures/coaches value different things. Fact.

MLS history has never been a great place for this type of player. What type? Young skilled, inexperienced, not overly physical Americans. Not seasoned pros from other countries.
    (Something I should have emphasized sooner - young inexperienced Americans, not seasoned foreign pros who have beeen immersed in a soccer culture since the day they were born and are more prepared)
    Coaching, style and lack of a proper youth reserve/structure work against them also.
    I think it's pretty clear.

Instead of looking at this as some kind of contest it should be looked at as a good thing. Guys who can't make the grade the MLS way can in other decent leagues. They will continue to and I suspect, actually I'm sure, more will do so in the future.

The guys I mentioned do not thrive here for the reasons I have stated.

Watching the league it is no thard ot see why.

They will get chances elsewhere because there is more opportunity and the style is more welcome. All there is to it.

I'm certain that if you wanted to go name for name, the players who have dropped off of the face of the map here, who could have played elsewhere at a very good level, would overwhelm your list.

The easy response for you is to say that my last point is moot if I can't name them. Easy response for you because you can justify your postion with something I can't, or don't want to research over the years.

All I have to do is watch this league (MLS) and see what they value/cater to, and watch other leagues and see what they value. Not hard to see.

We have a lot of kids here in the US who could make very nice livings in Europe in good leagues like Denmark. They are finding this out. Numbers going overseas will keep increasing. Playing time and money will dictate it if MLS teams don't give these guys more chances.

Won't go around in circles. That's my point and I'm sticking to it. Don't think it is all that hard to see.

I love MLS but I am not blind either.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Those guys would go - or already have gone - to bigger clubs.

Plus, as has been said previously and in this thread, some players fit better with one style of play, some fit better with another. That's true in all sports. John may be quick enough to blow by a defender on speed alone in Denmark but he may not have been able to do this in MLS. Maybe you need Robbie Findley's speed to do this in MLS, not Will John's.

In any case, Colin likes him. Curt didn't like him enough.

We'll see what transpires.

How exactly have I missed this?

7. randersfan

randersfan New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Trying to resume the answers here about the guys again.
    Will John will have number 7 and W. John on the back.
    Lee Nguyen will have number 9 and L. Nguyen on his back.
    About the limit of non-eu players its pretty open now. Randers last year found a hole in the rules. Because eu got a trade connection with most african nations players from Senegal, Gambia, armenia all is considers as Eu players. Right now Randers has players from Senegal, Gambia, Brasil and Usa. Because of the rules only 3 are non eu players. Thats the 2 from Usa and 1 from Brasil meeing that they can use all 3 in game at once if they want to.
    About the money Denmark has a rule about bringing ppl here on low tax. From start it was rule to help intelligent ppl to denmark on low tax. But alot of soccerplayers come here on low tax. The first 3 year they are here they will only pay around 25% tax if income is over 140k dollars a year. And thats low tax for danish ppl. We pay a lot of tax, but also gets alot of benefits. like free hospitals, in case of unemploiment ppl get help to survive so nobody needs to lose homes and so on.
    The latest years soccer has got a big boost here from tv. And its getting higher share of money for tv rights for the games.
    Randers is new club in top soccer here. In 2003 the club was made from a combo of 6 clubs around the area here. Randers city is around 80000 ppl the 6 biggist town in Denmark.In 2004 the club was promote to best league but was relegated right down again in 2005. In 2006 they won the cup as 2 division club, and same year they got promoted again. Because of the win in the cup they played Uefacup. And played against Fernebache. Lost away 2-1 and at home 3-0.
    In 2006-2007 the club ended up as 8 position. And in summer 2007 Colin Todd got contract as manager.

8. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Well.... Lee really had 2 "semesters" at PSV, to continue your final metaphor.

He passed impressively during the Hiddink semester.

He wasn't really allowed to take the test during the Koeman semester (plus the injuries were problematic). As we've seen with Huub Stevens - who not coincidentally takes over at PSV in the fall - some coaches like to go with what they know and not bother to integrate young players.

I mean, while Koeman was there, other big prospects like Marcellis were ignored too.

Yup, all the "learning" stopped when Hiddink left.

9. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

"I'm an ambitious person and this is an ambitious club," an excited John told ASD. "I'm very pleased. The soccer is tremendously better here."

About the qoute above, then this is what Will John said to to Randers FCs official website when he signed :

http://www.randersfc.dk/index.php?afd=1&side=2719

"I have been on trial at Randers FC for 10 days and I'm more than happy with what I have seen and experienced.

The level in Danish football is in my opinions higher than in America, for that reason alone that in Denmark the ball is "i centrum" [ 'the center of attention'], and all take care to hold it on the ground. The technical level is very high, and I'm very pleased with this," Will John says.

----

It seems to me that Will John is saying that the ball is not used all too much at training in the US ?... But that training sessions in the US is more about running and being fit ?

10. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds about right. If you ever read the training camp blogs on ussoccer.com, they're kind of sickening. It's like, fitness session today, followed by another fitness session, and tomorrow, yet another fitness session! This is what has led to the stereotype of American players as really athletic but lacking in technique, and of MLS as really physical league lacking in technique.

12. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed--we've got a fair amount of thread drift here that is really only nominally about our YA. The OP started the thread to deliver news about our players. That purpose is all but drowned out by the MLS / Europe discussion.

Should I start a Nguyen/John development thread along the lines of the Bradley thread to preserve the original purpose of randersfan's thread?

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I mentioned this in a Jacobson-to-Lorient thread - the non-EU rules are becoming far more tolerant than before.

And that means a lot more jobs for the Yanks Abroad.

You're forgetting the 5 vs. 2 2-touch keep-away.

That really resembles the actual playing conditions ... if you're in the own half.

Nah ... keep this.

Everything drifts and meanders.

14. randersfan

randersfan New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Last summer i watched a couple of trainingssessions with Colin Todd. He use alot of ball in the training, and not so much running, talks alot also during games, and is very smilling.
    Both Randers matches against Brondby away will be on tv, and with luck u guys can see it though tvuplayer on a channel called danish delight-Time of the game will be sunday marts 9 at noon est

15. biglove

biglove New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    berkeley, ca
    randersfan....

thank you very much for your continued updates and added commentary. i appreciate your little "history lesson" on the club.

you should know, as of now, you're pretty much the only source of english commentary on the club... and we're thirsty for Rander's related updates...

i asked you before, and you answered in another thread... but do you know where i can order a Randers jersey, with the #9 and "L. Nguyen" on the back? i would prefer to order from an english website...

please keep us updated, it's greatly appreciated.

16. randersfan

randersfan New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Best bid is just to write to the club and ask how u can get one and what the cost will be. randersfc@randersfc.dk. Or this one ln.randers@sport-direct.dk. last one is special shop that sell jerseys with print.
    Price without postfee will be around 90 dollars.

If anyone has some pictures from games in usa or Nederland ur welcome to send them to me on the website i just set up as a wordpress blog
    The reason for making the website is thats more easy for all interesting parties to have uploads and sharing info about the guys. In the next week i will try to catch a practice and a interview with the guys. The website is just set up so notting speciel there for now.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Can you describe what the training exercises were like?

PS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Todd - Todd's bio, 1975 PFA Player of the Year, 23 caps for England.

18. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I had that movie back in college;)

19. biglove

biglove New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    berkeley, ca

thanks for the info! i have book marked your blog...

20. biglove

biglove New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    berkeley, ca
    i think it's going to be great for both the american kids that this guy speaks english... i don't know if Lee was ever able to pick up dutch while at PSV, but obvisouly won't have this problem going forward.

21. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes. And sometimes you guys are nailing up detour signs and digging trenches.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    BTW, Colin's son, Andy Todd, is a team mate of Eddie Lewis's and Benny Feilhaber's at Derby County.

I am not sure what happened to the other son, Sweeney.

He heard he had some problems way back when.

Now, that wasn't really a detour, was it?

23. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well, some of the news was about Will Johns opinions on the difference between his experience at Randers and the MLS. So its not quite a detour to discuss what he is saying..

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13787471&postcount=59

Though he was clearly not talking about the Danish League being "tremendously better", but talking about the general quality of training sessions at Randers being that much better, in his opinion.

24. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    No, not a detour at all but, it is kind of weird that Sweeney heard he had some knee problems. If the problem was severe enough, I think he would have known it himself without having to hear it from someone else. I sure hope he didn't hear it from the guy on his team that played the same position.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Apologize if this was covered already, because I didn't read all the posts, but Will John is making more money than just about any 22 year old MLS player, in fact A LOT more. Not bad for a guy who couldn't get an MLS match in 2 years.

(Randers knew that MLS was no competition for salary, but it believed that Will had other European options.)

Wonder how long the rest of them will stay on the farm.