Dynamo Academy (incl. U-18s & DSTA)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Wildcatter Orange, Mar 23, 2007.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dynamo Academy

In Italy, they throw Vespas. In Houston, we throw babies. It's more humane. Babies are soft, so they bounce.

2. f a B u L o s O

Nov 6, 2006
    Heights
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U-18's playing tonight!

[​IMG]Good Luck to our U-18's playing tonight!!! My bro (Dynamo Joe) and I were leaving the UH football game tonight and we noticed the practice field was all lit up. We stopped and watched our U-18's warming up on the pitch.

I don't know who this kid is, but he's got a sweet touch from the right side, centering up the ball .... while watching he was 10 for 10 dead on target. I was impressed.
    Vamos Chavos!!! Vamos Dynamocitos! :D

3. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007

but what would happen if you wrapped that baby in streamers and then threw him? scary thought.

4. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

The Dynamo won 3-2 in extra time. They went down early on a free kick goal, then tied it up, went down again in the second half and tied it up again. They got the game winner just before the end of the first overtime period.

5. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dynamo Academy (incl. U-18s)

To add a bit more description to the game...

The refs sucked. If you fell over, you'd get the call. First goal came off such a scenario pretty early. The starting keeper got hurt early and was replaced by the RB and then he was replaced by the backup keeper. I don't know why the backup keeper didn't come in initially. Dynamo tied it up and then the team in white took the lead when the goalie (the real backup keeper at this point), decided to run out of his box to challenge a through ball for no good reason. Dynamo equalized and you could tell their fitness was having an effect. Team in white got tired from about the 65th minute on and looked less and less dangerous.

I thought the Dynamo were the better team...especially technically. The biggest advantage the team in white had was their positioning and tactical execution. On defense, they did a good job of surrounding the player with the ball. On offense, they ripped apart the Dynamo defense with speed and timing their runs with their passes. Often times, it was timed so well the attacker would be 5 yards behind the last defender by the time the defender realized what was going on. I imagine that's a result of these guys having played with each other for God knows how long. Entertaining game and a pretty decent sized crowd. Probably between 100-200 people.

6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The save of the night came from our backup keeper at the death of the second overtime when he dived to his left to stone the drive from the pinche Blancos #11. The shot was earmarked for the lower left corner and it was a fiting end to a really hard fought and skilled Cup Final.

I stayed for the trophy to be handed out (the diving donkeys of los Cachurros got nothing which was fiting IMHO) and our young lads raised their trophy and then walked over to their families and friends who stayed on to take in the pretty cool looking gold trophy.

Indeed, now our FO has to make a trophy case for our club. Way to go young guns!

7. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007

After hearing the description of the game, I am sad I missed it. I really wanted to watch my new player play. I played against him the other day in class and he handled me quite easily. In my defense, I didn't have time to stretch, or get rid of my huge gut, but he made it look easy.

8. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The official site has a full game report up now:

Champions Cup Final

This team has some quality players and it was impressive to see them play their hearts out to win a trophy. Congratulations to the team.

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Dynamo captain Samir Pena scored for the orange in the 36th minute."---Match Report

Is there any reason not to believe that Samir, our young guns Captain, scored in the 36th minute in the first ever Houston Cup Grand Final. And that he is the leader of the 18's. That this is Big Man upstairs way of telling us that our legacy to the beautiful game will be our State's Spirit and our State's talented footballers.

VIVA TEXAS and DALE DYNAMO!

10. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Rumbo article about the Academy

I know this is late but since I am from there I thought I should make sure McAllen was spelled right :D

11. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And here it is:

Dynamo establish South Texas academy (DSTA)

[​IMG]

And if the guy on the right in that pic looks familiar:

12. ~.:DR8:.~

~.:DR8:.~ New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    hahahaaa thats me on the bottom right.... : )

13. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're famous! Who are you? Just kidding :D

14. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is it just me or do the Dynamo seem to get the importance of these Academies?

Not just this year or next, but over the next decade or so, I think that the teams that are consistently going to be at the top are the teams that can find players through their Academies.

Because all things being equal, if you can squeeze a player or two out of the academy that can play on the top team, then you've got a player or two more than every other team in MLS. Imagine them without Holden or Ashe, or better yet, with an additional Holden & Ashe. How much better would we be?

And to basically say that this is our state and start funding teams all over makes a ton of sense, especially since their's little D1A soccer in TX.

Is there a limit to the number of team's that the Dynamo can sponsor and hold rights to? I thought that it might be 2, so with Houston Dynamo U-21 & DSTA, is that all or can we see a Dynamo East TX/LA Academy in the future?

15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hell yeah! Can you say Scottish Football?

This is tremendous news and another massive step for not only the Dynamo football footprint in South Texas, but for the incredible shot in the arm it gives the youth players of South Texas to know that they have to train and play...they will get noticed.

16. ~.:DR8:.~

~.:DR8:.~ New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    o well i live in brownsville texas and im 14 welllll 15 TOMORROW hahahaaa and yea we are all really excited to get playing already i think we are playing the university of texas at brownsville on thursday....all their players are mostly foreign since i used to kinda practice with them i know how they play....since are team is kinda barely getting started we are kinda shaky but we hope for the best we should b playing a few games against utb though since their coach is our asst. coach....ONE THING IS FOR SURE WE ARE ALL SUPER GRATEFUL FOR THE OPPORTUNITY THAT THE DYNAMO HAVE GIVEN US and we are ready to show them wat the rio grande valley has got....:)

17. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations on the great opportunity. Best of luck to you and the other guys. Make the most of it - we look forward to seeing you guys play in MLS.

Indeed. The Dynamo FO definitely understands the importance of these programs. But in addition to your idea for a Dynamo Academy for East Texas/Louisiana, maybe we should also have a Dynamo Academy for the Metroplex, so that kids in that area can also hope to join a quality professional team someday. ;)

Bernardo Fallas also has some info at his blog at the Chron's site:

Dynamo tab South Texas for youth initiative

18. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As far as I know, so long as we have the $$, we can have as many academies as we want....enter owner here.

Might as well put our camps all over the state of Tejas and have one large Cup at the end...kind of a potential rival for the Dallas Cup, one day?

Kudos to the kids down south and the Dynamo for makin it happen

19. bzygo

bzygo New Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Alief (Houston), Tx
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this move, better then spending money on a washed-up DP (no, not all DPs are washed up, but it happens). It would be nice to have some of the talent coming out of the Valley wearing Dynamo Orange.

20. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok, so they have:
    Houston Dynamo U-??
    DSTA

Other existing federations, that could become Dynamo Academies:
    North Texas Soccer (like Anderson said)
    Louisiana SA
    Arkansas YSA
    New Mexico YSA
    Mississippi YSA
    Alabama YSA
    Florida YSA
    Tennessee State SA
    North Carolina YSA
    South Carolina YSA
    Georgia YSA

Basically there's a whole region of US Youth Soccer that has 1 real MLS squad. Anyone of these would make a good Dynamo Academy. Not that I think that the funds are there for them all, but they have a chance to make some serious inroads into making the Dynamo the SW's team.

21. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Viva El Valle!!! I will be in the Valley this week and I cannot wait!

22. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found out that the captain Samir Pena of the U18 team goes to North Shore and plays for there varsity squad! I think im going to get a dynamo flag and fly it at the games!

23. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    That would be cool. I will have two of the Dynamo kids this year. Luckily, we are getting new uniforms this year. We will be wearing the Dynamo pracitice jerseys for our home jerseys. They are sweet.

24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good on you dude. Get to training hard, get stuck in on the tackle and perhaps you can one day play for an Hinchada like this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhME6EWPmqw

25. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People in the Valley know about this. I have had 3 different people ask me why I am down here at such a random time and when I tell them it was to go to some Dynamo games they have all responded "oh I heard we got a team or something".

That is good news.