SJ Designated Player

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by etastic, Aug 18, 2007.

1. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]

2. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I can see bringing in some older English players for skill and toughness but Im not sure about a DP slot.

The exception would be Alan Shearer. He would bring out tons of England and Newcastle fans. If you read some of the reports from the LA / Red Bulls game they mention the huge turn out of fans in England gear. Not to mention his talent for scoring. He would terrorize MLS keepers. :D

3. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodsport may turn into the awful, feared beast Bloodsport over that.

4. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Riquelme?
    I know Boca Jr.s couldn't afford him, and I don't know if he's signed on a euro team or what, but he'd definately boost the scoring of any team.

5. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    The climate in the Bay Area is great and definitely plays a part in why people want to live there. Take it from me in the Sacramento Valley where it's going to be 95+ all week.

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could, but his tripe is so out of the realm of possibility that it doesn't even register on the Bloodsport meter. :D

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

7. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    while I don't think its likely, having a guy like Riquelme in MLS would be incredible. I think he is again playing with Villarreal, as Boca Jrs couldn't afford to make the loan permanent.

Tons of Newcastle fans? ;) You sure those England jerseys at the HDC don't have to do with some other Brit playing down there?

If you are going to sign a DP, ideally it would be someone who can play and sell tix. I'd love to see Veron or JRR here, and theoretically those players would attract the hispanic/latin/maybe even eurosnob audience. Whether they can be afforded and if EQLLC is willing to pony up is another question.

Given the article on Billy Beane from Toronto, maybe we should expect Robby Keane to be signed or, if he gets fired, maybe Martin Jol as the first coach? Jurgen did play for Spurs also.

Tony

8. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That was at Giants Stadium in NYC. The England jersey's show that if you bring an English legend to a major market the fans will come out in force.

And if you bring Alan Shearer I wouldnt be surprised if Newcastle fans started making Quakes tickets hard to come by. He is a living god as far as Newcastle fans are concerned.

9. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm asking, I really don't know, how many Newcastle fans are there here in the Bay Area? I could be wrong, but my guess would be that number would be dwarfed by the number of fans of Man U, Club America, real Chivas, etc. I could be wrong, like I said, I don't know.

Tony

10. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'd say that Newcastle is on the same level as Tottenham in terms of fans here. They're both a bit below the Big Four.

11. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It would not be just Newcastle fans. You guys have to realize that Alan Shearer is the current leader in career goals scored for the Premiership. Imagine a striker in the MLS who averages 25 a season! This guy scored 30+ for 3 straight seasons! His return to action would be big. The only reason his name is not as well known is that he retired from the English National Team after the Euro 2000.

12. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The guy's pretty old, though.

13. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    True. We'd be lucky to get three seasons out of him but then Blanco isn't all that spry... Also consider that he would have no international obligations.

14. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aging players are not going to find this league to be easy. Long travel on commercial coach flights, artificial turf fields, dodgy practice facilities... not really the lap of luxury.

15. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

I hope with all of my heart that MLS does not start bringing aging players over. By "aging players", I mean those who are ready to retire, but feel they can get a couple of extra years in the states. Guys like Beckham are a little different because they still have a handful of competitive years left in the tank. This business of signing big names who are really past their prime is a delicate situation.....it could bring some respect to the league, but it could just as easily cause the league to crash and burn.

16. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree that its a delicate situation. Especially trying to balance marketing value against talent.

Although I still think a 37-39 yo Alan Shearer would cut down MLS keepers/ defenders w/frightening efficiency....:D

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I see DPs as really being nothing more than soccer versions of Barry Bonds. Big on name, small on winning. I'd rather the Quakes emulate the A's than the Giants.

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give 'em all urine tests, immediately (oh, yeah, that's right, Bonds passed his). ;)
    Or did he?

19. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension
    Yeah he will certinaly terrorize the keepers at a spry 38 years old. Hell why dont we get Teddy Sheringham as well I mean he is only 42. Can you imagine that tandem up front. you could call it the geriatric attack. If they could just figure out how to score goals whilst using walkers. I mean are you people high!?

20. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    If Wolff wants a team that is immediately in contention, there is something to be said for bringing in a handful of older, experienced players for the short term while at the same time building a long term team through reserves and careful management. What was the average age of the Chicago Fire in their first season in the league?

21. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's some food for thought, according to Martin Rogers:

Some of the list may or may not surprise you:

1. Ronaldo to New York--pick either the Red Bulls or new "Cosmos" (or whatever the second team will be called)
    2. Zidane to LA or SJ
    3. Makalele to Houston
    4. Marquez to Chicago or Chivas USA
    5. Cannavaro to Toronto
    6. Henry to New York, Dallas, or Houston
    7. Veron to DC
    8. Giggs to New England or Colorado
    9. Hendrik Larsson to the Quakes
    10. Pierluigi Collina (yes him) to officiate the games here!

Really, just go with someone who can fit into the Earthquakes of mold of instilling a work ethic and getting the job done. I'd be thinking someone along the lines of John Terry, Frank Lampard, or Steven Gerrard--nothing flashy but the result is there.

22. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So I guess they are going to aging player route? Hmmm....

Also, Gerrard is nothing flashy? He's a bit above the other two there.

23. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    MLS finishing is weak. If a guy like Angel who was basically nobody in the EPL can come over and be arguably the best striker in the league then I suspect the all time leading EPL goal scorer wouldnt do too poorly even at 38.

The term "mowing the lawn" comes to mind...

24. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if MLS wants to literally roll dice now, I'd say get Ronaldinho--not Ronaldo, and Messi. However, let's not history repeat itself if you know what I mean in 4 letters--N, A, S, and L (but that part is for another time)...

Gerrard to me is more like the quiet superstar--he doesn't get the headlines like Beckham nor he plays for Chelsea but he gets the job done for Liverpool and England. Had it not been for Terry he would be leading his country succeding Spice Boy at the helm.

The names that I think are long shots are Zidane, Larrson, and Giggs. Ronaldo is still a possibility especially if the DP spots go to two (though for a few teams some of the USA name players might end up with some extra cash in their pocket), and I wouldn't be too surprised if Henry takes an interest in hanging out in Texas with his hoopster buddy Tony Parker.

However, Shearer stays retired. No one will take a chance on an aging player even if he can still attract the fans--management would still be concerned if he's going to make a contribution to the team, not sit down and take this as a vacation.

25. SJtotalfootball

May 26, 2004
    The Hayward Fault
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think either will be tempted to play here the first year of our return. I can't see players of that stature barnstorming around Northern California. Considering the amount of travel in MLS is already much more than most leagues, not having a permanent home will not be appealing to moving here until the new stadium is built.