Maybe you CAN keep a good man down

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Bill Archer, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next time you're perusing (note to San Jose fans: that means "looking at") the National Soccer Hall of Fame website - which I'm sure you all do with great regularity - click on over to the the 2007 ballot results.

At the top of course are this years inductees, Mia Hamm and Julie Foudy, which is a nice piece of symmetry: America's Sweetheart and America's Blowhole.

(*Please note: send all outraged hate mail directly to Huss@bigsoccer.com. Be sure to double check your spelling of "misogynist" before you hit "send")

Cruise on down the list, past the "Better Luck Next Time" group (Joy Fawcett, Marco Etcheverry), through the "Just Never Gonna Make It" club (hello Roy Lassiter) and keep on going until you get to the "Never Stood a Chance" section, but stop before reaching the "Are You Kidding Me?" group (as in "Diego Sonora? Are you kidding me?").

Right there, just below the immortal Steve Trittschuh, but still beating out Mike Burns and Ted Eck, there's someone who 3.55% of the voters think deserves to be in the Hall of Fame:

Debbie Keller.

And while 3.55% isn't even close to getting a nifty bronze plaque in Oneonta, it nevertheless represents an astonishingly large total for someone whose post-college career was over by the time she turned 23 and which consisted of one World Cup appearance and one year with the W-League Rockford Dactyls. It seems likely that the votes she got were in recognition of the role she played in American soccer's saddest episode, and one which is just about to explode onto the national sports radar again, long after we all thought it was forever dead and buried.

Back in May of 1998 a little-known, largely forgettable walk-on goalkeeper at North Carolina named Melissa Jennings, reportedly out-of-shape and struggling academically, was cut from Anson Dorrance's reigning NCAA National Championship soccer team. Her entire college career had consisted of exactly 32 minutes on the field, playing behind two brilliant stars, Siri Mullinax and Gretchen Ostergaard, so when the axe fell not much of anybody noticed, and fewer cared.

Jennings was, by all accounts, distraught, even hysterical, over being dropped from the team. Again, nobody much really cared until the following week, when Jennings and her father walked in to North Carolina Chancellor's office and accused Anson Dorrance of sexual harassment.

She wasn't claiming that Dorrance had grabbed her, touched her, made sexual advances towards her or anything of the sort. Rather, they claimed that the coach engaged in a pattern of sexually-oriented conversation and remarks amongst the team which rose to the level of harassment. They did say that he had asked her once, in private, about her sex life. She claimed that Dorrance, a Mormon like herself, had told some players to take her out and get her drunk on her official visit, thus violating her "religious rights".

(They also said he had borrowed $400 from her once to buy Gatorade, something I still haven't figured out)

North Carolina, actiing under their own gender equity rules, conducted an investigation. They concluded that Dorrance had, indeed, engaged in some "inappropriate" banter of a sexual nature, and that while it was done "in a jesting or teasing manner" it violated NC guidelines. (They also said the Gatorade thing was out of line. Go figure) The school and Dorrance issued apology letters and Dorrance received an official reprimand.

Jennings father, Craig, was furious. He demanded that Dorrance be fired. North Carolina refused, saying their internal investigation, which included extensive interviews with dozens of current and former players, did not reveal sufficient grounds for termination under University rules.

So the Jennings did what all good Americans do in situations like this: they sued. For $12 million. They claimed that Dorrance, by virtue of discussing sex with members of his team, had denied Jennings the "benefits of collegiate athletics" thus violating the dreaded Title IX.

The suit garnered some attention, but nothing near what it got a couple weeks later when another plaintiff joined the suit: Debbie Keller.

Far from being a disguntled benchwarmer, Keller was a two-time National Player of the Year and a bona fide member of North Carolina soccer royalty who was making a strong bid for a spot on the 1999 World Cup team.

The reaction from Tarheels players, past and present, was immediate and angry: using words like "absurd", "nonsense" and "absolute lies", 100 or so signed letters defending Dorrance in the strongest possible terms.

This initiated one of the strangest episodes in US Soccer history:

US Women's coach Tony DiCicco called a training camp in January 1999 and Keller, the team's second leading scorer behind only Mia Hamm, was not invited in. DiCicco said it was because she wasn't likely to make the team. Keller said it was retaliation for the lawsuit. Meanwhile, the ten current and former Tarheels who were already in camp made no secret of the fact that they didn't want her there, ever.

Keller filed for arbitration under the Amateur Sports Act. USSF caved like a cardboard box in a rainstorm and issued her an invitation. She immediately reported to camp. The arbitrators then announced that they would not intervene. Keller, not being in particularly good shape anyway, was sent home. The US Women went on to Gold Medal glory and the WUSA. Keller became a hairdresser and never played soccer again.

Fast forward then to 2004, when Keller, now Debbie Keller-Hill, settled with North Carolina for $70,000 in legal fees and an apology letter from Dorrance wherein he admits to "jesting and teasing" but nothing more, while Keller-Hill signed a letter stipulating that at no time did Dorrance attempt to have sex with her.

And one other thing: Dorrance had to agree to spend the next EIGHT YEARS in Political Correctness Re-education Camp....er, I mean "Sensitivity Training" to include lessons on "women in sports"

Think about THAT for a minute: from now until 2012, Anson Dorrance, the man who has arguably done more for women's athletics than anyone else alive, will have to sit through regular lectures about females in sports from some man-hating cow with a "Women's Studies" degree.*

*That address again: Huss@bigsoccer.com

Dorrance went back to winning national championships, and even appeared in the famous Mia Hamm "Thank You" video sponsored by - do you dig irony? Gatorade:

[youtube]OoqCZV-_8Qc[/youtube]

So what's the problem now? Well, the problem is that Jennings - and her Dad, a "Financial Advisor" in Chicago - refused to settle. They pressed ahead with the lawsuit. In the Fall of 2004, a US District Court judge dismissed the case, saying that the accusations, even if proven, would not constitute a Title IX violation.

Jennings appealed the decision. In 2006 a three judge panel of the US Court of Appeals upheld the lower court decision. Jennings - whose lawyer must have a pretty nice vacation home and a Bentley by now - then asked for a rare "en banc" hearing (meaning the entire court instead of a three judge panel).

In April of this year, almost nine years after Jennings - now a 30 year old married elementary teacher - was cut from the team, the 4th US Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the previous rulings and remanded the case back to Chicago for trial. They ruled that, IF in fact Jennings could prove what she said, then the incident would rise to the level of a Title IX violation.

They did not - an important distinction - rule on the validity of that evidence.

(For the complete decision, here's a link to the ruling. You'll get to the majority decision first, which is, I will warn you, pretty ugly and full of obscenities. Read on until the dissenting opinon for the opposite viewpoint. For purposes of brevity, I've left out lots of details. Most all of them are in there, in all their grotesque glory.)

The problem Jennings now faces is that it's going to be tough to prove. She has just one other player who is wiling to agree with her point of view, and Dorrance has upwards of 100, including some of the biggest names in US Sports history, who will adamantly argue otherwise. Trial is scheduled to begin October 4.

So here's the thing: ESPN and their several talking head idiots, will be all over this, as will your local newspaper, who will refer to it as "the sexual harassment suit against Anson Dorrance, famous North Carolina soccer coach". They'll love this because it has everything they love in a story: sex, booze, Title IX and, of course, soccer bashing.

As for the case itself, the bottom line is not whether Jennings was offended by some of Dorrance's admittedly inappropriate comments. Clearly she was. But that's not theTitle IX standard. The only question at issue is whether Dorrance's comments "denied her the benefits of collegiate sports".

And based on her reaction to being cut, it's pretty clear that, at the time, she didn't think so.

One last note: as part of the lawsuit, Jennings is now seeking a permanent injuction barring Dorrance from any contact with any team or program where he would "come in contact with women or minors". Essentially, Jennings wants a Federal court to call Anson Dorrance a pervert.

Bottom line, as the dissenting opinion states, this suit appears to be mostly about revenge, and one can only hope that the jury will agree. Craig Jennings needs to give up being a soccer Dad and find another hobby, and his daughter needs to move on with her life. Enough is enough.

2. Why would a coach need to borrow $400.00 from a player?

3. Dadinho

Dadinho Member

Feb 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To buy gatorade, obviously.

4. While this has nothing to do with THIS case in particular, here's an incident that kind of shows a pattern...

When the University of Oklahoma was began it's Division I women's soccer program (largely under the threat of a Title IX lawsuit from the parents of a powerful Norman soccer family because their daughter drank and whored her way out of her Duke scholarship), the looked no further than Anson Dorrance's program for an assistant coach to hire as their head coach. They picked a lady by the name of Bettina Fletcher:

Bettina was asked to leave the university after this incident as well as others involving copius amounts of alcohol provided by coaches to players and recruits.

5. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something about the MLS developmental player salary, no doubt.

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United

What's the pattern? Female sports leads to hijinks?

7. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    No college kids like to show high school kids visiting their campus a good time by providing.......get this........alcohol.

Shocking, I know.

8. Except that it was the coach that encouraged the "hazing", apparently as some sort of bonding experience.

9. That Anson Dorrance, and former members of his staff aren't quite the paragons of virtue that their aura suggests.

10. HectorM

HectorM Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Pittsburgh
    Well it's pretty unfair to blame Dorrance for what this woman did. Unless you can show that she learned this methodology from her time on the NC staff, which you can't because they don't do that crap, then you're simply engaging in guilt by association.

If she knocked over a liquor store or bounced a check or shoplifted some shoes would Dorrance be responsible for that too?

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or sports leads to hijinks? No football, baseball, men's soccer, basketball (both genders), or swimming teams drink/initiate/talk about sex? I'm sure Frat and Sorority pledgeships and initiations nationwide never lead to that sort thing, either.
    [/tangent]

At this point, I do not think this suit advances the cause of protecting students/athletes/employees (of whatever gender) from harassment (physical or verbal). If the goal is to "protect student athletes" then instead of using money to prolong this suit, use it promote education programs for coaches, players, and parents on appropriate behavior and how to recognize (and report) abuse. For one, the number of coaches who've actually slept with players and kept their jobs (or get new ones) is a larger problem than many may realize. We all know of coworkers and bosses who've misused their power, too. I generally give the benefit of the doubt (at least initially) to people that speak out about harassment because I know it happens more than we like to admit.* I don't think Jennings harassment complaints (if true, which is, imo, questionable) are such that Dorance should lose his job, as she wants.

Both Jennings and Keller got better university response to their initial complaints than they would have at many other universities (as I know from personal experience, but I digress). I don't know what exactly happened. Hell, 9 years later, no one who was there likely remembers what happened and I don't think (at this point) this suit will show what happened, either. Dorance has been publically reprimanded and one party has settled. I'd bet that recruiting has been impacted, too. He's got to at least address the suit with parents. I don't think she (or her father) is going to do better than that via this suit.

Was Keller a great player with a good chance to make the Olympic team? Yes. Did Keller get frozen out of the WNT because of it? Quite possibly. But she likely didn't help her cause by (reportedly) showing up in less than top fitness. And really, did she not know getting booted from the WNT pool was a distinct possibility if she participated in the suit? I doubt team chemistry would have been, umm, stellar if she'd made it. However, perhaps she thought it was worth it and felt she was doing the right thing by speaking up at the time. Gotta do what you think is right and then take the consequences.

I lived in Chapel Hill for a long time but don't anymore. I don't know the current policy, but for years and years, UNC would let (just about) anyone walk on, practice, and sit on the bench at home games (I believe there was a much smaller travel squad b/c of $$). The only catch was that you had to make the fitness goals and "survive" a brutal preseason. The line was that people "only cut themselves" because they weren't in the required shape. Of course, I was never a program insider and "the word about town" could have been wrong.

* I am a feminist and I've never hated men. Well, for a while I did hate the one who asked me to marry him, dumped me shortly after, and married someone else less than 6 months later. He didn't like soccer, either. Loser. I'm sure none of you would do such a thing.

12. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    I'm grateful for the recap, but I'm skeptical that there will be some huge media onslaught on this. A couple of mentions here and there? Maybe. Archer, I'll send you a six-pack if it gets more than a brief in my hometown (admittedly horrible) newspaper.

As for the plaintiffs, they sounds like the kind of people that make life miserable sometimes, but we all have to deal with those. I'm sorry that Dorrance has to sit through years of re-education and has a lawsuit looming over his head, but I'm sorry that many of us have to sit in line at the DMV and have the "Hildebrand Presentation" looming over our heads. It's part of life. Anson's a big boy. I'm sure he'll manage. He has a pretty sweet little gig going, in any case.

13. If he had done something similar, yeah.

He supposedly encouraged current players to get a recruit drunk. The University of Colorado can explain to you why they don't allow current players any unsupervised access to recruits any more. Strippers, hookers and alcohol.

She did the same, she was a part of his staff.

He & the university settled with one of the people in the case. Why would you settle if there wasn't something inappropriate that happened?

She encouraged and supervised something which probably goes well beyond anything Dorrance ever did, but again, she was a part of his staff. All blame for her actions goes to her, but the attitude towards what she did wasn't probably discouraged under Dorrance, and it grew from there.

14. Doing what's right, shouldn't have punitive consequences.

15. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Presumably, the university and Dorrance have insurance against this sort of thing. Insurance companies always want you to settle for a lesser, yet fixed, sum than take your chances in court.

16. HectorM

HectorM Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Pittsburgh
    Dorrance and his players deny this ever happened.

17. cleatless

cleatless New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Indy-Carmel
    dear god, just when I think Bill Archer's front page blogs are entertaining, this comes along.

so, despite admitting to inappropriate sexual banter with young women, Anson Dorrance is a good man because his tar heel soccer program does well.

Mr. Archer, you really are a piece of work. I'll make sure to raise my daughter to know that so long as her coaches win, they can say whatever they want in front of her. then, she can be villified by creeps like you for daring to accuse someone as entitled as Anson Dorrance.

or better yet, I'll raise her to kick people like you and anyone who would say inappropriate things to her or in front of her straight in the balls.

18. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I don't think the ESPN talking heads will be on this one bit. They're too wrapped up in Michael Vick's dogfights.

19. soccermum

soccermum New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Keller's probably getting votes from voters who think she got a raw deal. Maybe she did but who do you leave off that '96 roster? MacMillan? She had three goals including one in the final and the golden goal against Norway. Venturinni? She had two. Maybe Parlow? Seems like they did okay with the roster they had. Would she have made it without the lawsuit? Guess we'll never know. They talk about how Keller was the #2 scorer. Christie Welsh was the #1 scorer back in '05 and disappeared in '06. It happens. It's a little like how we hear now how Mitts missed the 2003 WC because of the broken leg. I don't remember that she was a shoo in for the roster at the time. History gets revised a bit.

As to the Jennings case. I've read through most of that and it seems crazy to me that this has gone as far as it has. Basically her argument is that she was so distressed by his comments (which her teammates seemed willing participants in to the point of initiating most of the discussions) that she couldn't keep her grades up or make fitness. Sounds like she needed to take some personal responsibility but instead looked for someone to blame. Keller's case was always more compelling because she had something to lose. Jennings wasn't even playing.

Bill Archer - what is your issue with Foudy?

20. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you find this stuff? I mean seriously, that seems to be a lot of work.

21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well into every life some rain must fall.

And I said this where, exactly?

But since you asked so nicely, I'll share my opinion:

Dorrance should have known better. ANYBODY should know better. He let himself get carried away with a kind of "one of the team" mentality, and he engaged in the kind of personal, crude, explicit talk that is acceptable, even common, amongst teammates but completely beyond the pale from a coach.

And doubly so from a male coach of female athletes.

He was wrong, he admits he was wrong, I agree he was wrong, the court agrees he was wrong and North Carolina agrees he was wrong.
    But let me make the reverse case:

I was not there for any of this. Presumably you weren't either.

But Tisha Venturini, Kristine Lilly, Cindy Parlow, Mia Hamm, Robin Confer, Jena Kluegel, Danielle Borgman, Siri Mullinax and a whole bunch of other strong, bright, independent women WERE there, and they all say that it's mostly rubbish.

So in truth, you don't have an argument with me. You have an argument with them.

My wife keeps telling me

That will be pretty odd of you, but she's your daughter.

"Vilified"? (only one "L" sir) I hardly think so.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the worst thing I said about her was that she wasn't as good a keeper as Gretchen Ostergaard. And there's no shame in that - neither am I.

Or you could try to teach her that there are people and things in life that will offend her, and help her learn how to deal with them with dignity and grace, and not blame others for her own shortcomings.

22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interesting discussion that I left out since it was already biblical in length.

Keller was essentially a second ball hitter. A very, very good one, but unfortunately perhaps too one dimensional. The other forwards - Hamm, Lilly, Parlow, MacMillen, Milbrett (and that leaves out Danielle Fotopopolous, whose name I'm certain I just misspelled) could create their own shots as well as play as the target AND most of them, Lilly being the prime example, were versatile enough to play out of the midfield. Keller was not.

So it was obvious that she wasn't going to start and she might not even play. And interestingly enough, DiCicco was very conscious of themistake Steve Sampson had made the previous year at the men's WC by filling the end of his bench with veterans who didn't play, weren't happy about it and made serious noise about it.

Tony was determined to save the last couple of spots on the roster for young kids on the come, players who weren't going to see the pitch, weren't going to mind much, weren't going to complain about it and who - most importantly - needed the exposure to the WC experience so they could step up four years later.

So Keller didn't fit at the top and she didn't fit at the bottom and she wasn't versatile enough to take one of the bench spots that DiCicco used for substitutes.

That was one hell of a talented team and a LOT of good players got left home. That's not to say that team chemistry played no part in the decision - I have no way of knowing one way or the other - but DiCicco was planning on winning it all and he would have given a jersey to Eva Braun if it was going to get him the Cup.

Nothing much, really, but I know it riles people up to knock on her, so I indulged myself.

Although that Julie the Dunkin Donut with Sprinkles thing (I'm too lazy to dig up the picture) was an embarassment.

23. soccermum

soccermum New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Dorrance is an imperfect man who behaved foolishly and has had consequences. He didn't touch her, didn't proposition her or in any way indicate that he wanted to have sex with her. A 12 million dollar lawsuit seems a bit over blown especially when it was filed after she was cut for performance and grade issues. If you read the complaint, most of the trash talk came from or was initiated by the players. Dorrance was immature and shouldn't have particpated but he did. Not worth 12 mil.

24. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

I help. I'm a helper.

25. To a degree, I agree, though they typically don't want you to settle when there is no evidence of something wrong, it sets a bad precedent for such things. Though, once they smell smoke, they assume fire and beg to settle.