The Unit (Season 2) [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The series returns for duty on Tuesday, September 19th.

While the show started as a midseason replacement last season, it'll now have the chance to further develop over the course of a full season. :cool:

So what lies in store for operatives and their wives this season?

-G

2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I can be honest, I'm kinda middling on this show. I watch, but I'm not sure where it's going, and I'm actually a little disappointed it got picked up for a full season (as opposed to short season, which might actually be more interesting).

I know that sounds weird, but I'm trying to remove shows from my Season Pass list on the TiVo. I wanted this one to be super-compelling, but it doesn't quite make the grade, so I might have to drop it altogether.

3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh heh heh... he said "unit".

Wait, I made that joke last year? Dammit.

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    By the end of the first season it was becoming a chore. I'd record it then fast forward through parts with the screechy wives.

I'll be on for the beginning of the season but it could easily get dropped from my viewing schedule.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second season premieres tonight. :cool:

-G

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finally got the chance to see the season premiere off the HD-DVR this last weekend. The pacing of the show seemed to have picked up from last season, while the focus on the domestic stuff was trimmed some.

The episode seemed to take place a few months after last season's cliffhanging shootout. While none of the Unit members or their wives died and the episode showed some of the effects of the shootout, it was pretty much glossed over; the glossing-over somehow didn't seem as inappropriate as it could've, though.

Anyway, pretty fast-paced mission in Pakistan by the Unit stopping a potential biological attack from hitting targets all over the world, while Molly and Tiffy find out the truth about a kid on base who seems to keep getting hurt, in the end causing Mack and Tiffy to decide not to leave the Unit.

New episode tonight. :cool:

-G

7. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Glad they cut down somewhat on the homefront and wives but, wow, was that a boring season premiere.

The series premiere of Smith was more entertaining and that's not saying much as that heist-gone-wrong show was not good. Even with Ray Liotta, Virginia Madsen, Simon Baker, etc.

I've been cutting back on my TV watching and The Unit is giving me every reason to keep cutting.

8. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  9. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gave it a 12 hour waiting period, did ya?

I watched in my hotel, and found myself more enthralled with my concurrent blogging activities. That doesn't bode well for the future of the Season Pass on the TiVo.

10. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Points in its favor:

Looks great in HD
    Hot chicks
    Decent action and plotting
    Strong acting from a good cast
    Better than Prison Break and some of the other farcical action/dramas out there

Points against:

as mentioned above, screechy "home front" plots
    not enough action in every episode

I'll keep watching.

Andy

11. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty disappointed with this week's episode. Thought the way they handled the anti-war group was... unfair ("if they only knew how highly we thought of ourselves they'd stop killing us"? C'mon.). And it was nice to introduce the concept of gay people in the military, but they way they did it was chintzy.

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still, it's cool that they upped the combat action quotient after the first 1-2 episodes this season. :)

-G

13. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was disappointed too. The episode was even written and directed by Mamet; I had high hopes.

I agree with the unfair treatment of the anti-war crowd. I don't know of anyone against the war that would shout things at soldiers. This is not Vietnam. Being against the war and the people that initiated it is much more typical and would have been interesting to see an interaction between that type of person and a soldiers wife.

I guess from the preview for next week that there is another type of interaction looming for that slut....

Again, I'll keep watching.

Z

14. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They clearly made the guy intelligent, and it *could* have been really interesting. But Tiffy came in, said one "clever" but inaccurate line, and she wins the "debate"?

I'm still in, but my patience is wearing thin.

15. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And finally, my intestinal fortitude pays off in the episode I've been waiting for since the season started. If you guys gave up on the show, go find a torrent for the "Dark of the Moon" episode. No whiny wives, no poorly executed political messages, just some backs-against-the-wall military action. And lots of it. I think the last 20 minutes was non-stop gunfire.

Just when I start to think television isn't worth watching, most of the shows I watch throw out their best episodes ever all in the same week.

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Yeah, that was a good episode last night.

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This show has yet to disappoint me all season, but you're right that yesterday's episode had much more of a pure military/special ops feel to it. :)

The sniper action to disable the captured Humvee and its mounted machinegun was particularly good. :cool:

-G

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Intense season finale for a very solid (in a good way) season!

Brown finally caved in and joined the CIA, only to be immediately assigned to catch possible rogue-agent Jonas (who went into hiding)? Grey is was still missing, Colonel Ryan relieved of his command and the remainder of the Unit is in incarceration awaiting court martial. :eek:

It'll be interesting to see how they all get out of this situation.

-G

19. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno. I was less enthused about the finale. I wouldn't be upset if this went away (unlike, say, Jericho).

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It happily looks like you won't get your wish, as The Unit has deservedly gotten renewed for a third season (according to both here and here). :cool:

-G

21. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only watched on occasion the first season, but thought the show was good. The second season hooked me more and I started to record episodes (Wednesdays are busy). The season finale was pretty good, a lot going on, should be interesting.

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the show has always been on Tuesdays. ;)

It's cool that you enjoyed the episodes you've seen, and there'll be more episodes to enjoy next season. :D

-G

23. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said I wished it to go away. :) Just that I wouldn't be upset if it did.

Like I said, I was less than enamored with the season finale. I would have much rather had Jericho return.

24. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I wasn't a fan of this show when it first started but got sucked in about midway through this year. Thought it got better as the season went on.

I hope the dude with the blonde whore wife dumps her on her ass.

25. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That day too.