Onyewu: Newcastle @ Portsmouth 4/14 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Sean Donahue, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Onyewu on the bench.

2. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and Benjani puts Portsmouth up in the 7th

3. Plan B

Plan B New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Chicago
    Onyewu came in for an injured Moore in the 30th minute.

4. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    2-0, another Taylor rocket.

5. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle pull one back through an Emre PK in the 69th...

Time is running out - still 2-1 in the 86th.

6. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT 2-1 Portsmouth

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judging by the posts on this thread, I conclude that Newcastle "lost" 1-0 without Gooch, and "tied" 1-1 with him, therefore he played a good game.

:D

8. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Left for dead by some a couple weeks back, looks like our guy is putting up a decent fight to earn a contract.

Wonder if he starts next week? (Moore was rated poorly today, in his time on pitch)

10. FrankCasper

FrankCasper Red Card

Mar 4, 2005
    Because he got a "7" from Sky Sports? :confused:

11. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Rated the highest amongst defenders.

He also played a part in a 0-0 draw against high-scoring Arsenal last week.

You don't consider that improvement over previous, recent games? (especially on a relative basis) :confused:

12. FrankCasper

FrankCasper Red Card

Mar 4, 2005
    Going off notoriously unreliable Sky Sports ratings about a game I presume you haven't even seen any of seems very odd to me. That's all I'm saying.

13. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I've seen tons of posters write they 'saw' a game- and those posters print ludicrous stuff. Watching a game is not an absolute for knowing what's really happened.

You also can miss things on TV (like positioning during a play). Its only in being at a game live that one can see the entire field, but even then you can miss things (no replay to watch to be certain).

Its a mosaic, and you've got to add up the clues sometimes- but if you notice, we haven't had tons of Newcastle fans come on here and talk about how horrible he was (as 2 weeks ago). That means something around here :D

14. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    JRI IS BACK BABIES!!!!!!!

15. FrankCasper

FrankCasper Red Card

Mar 4, 2005
    It kind of helps though doesn't it? :rolleyes:

And you can sure miss things just reading Sky Sports ratings...

As to Newcastle fans posting here, I guess they all got scared off by the reception they received last time around.

16. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil

Of course you can.

But given Moore (his main 'competition') got a '4' and went off hurt
    And Gooch got a '7'

- I think this is one of those occasions in which a 'margin of safety' exists where we can say Gooch probably helped himself.

17. FrankCasper

FrankCasper Red Card

Mar 4, 2005
    Or we could interpret it that Moore played poorly because he was injured for part of the short time he was on the field... you see, just going off ratings you just don't know what actually happened. To me going off these thrown-together ratings is both silly and pointless.

18. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    So, he was better, he was worse, the same, or we don't know??

That means an opinion.

19. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Dude, this is all in context of Gooch earning a contract. To do that, he needs to start.

If a player gets a '4' from Sky and goes off hurt, and Gooch comes in and gets a '7', that's a good thing. Its not perfect, but its not 'silly and pointless' either. Its one bit of 'evidence'. Its not worthless.

Had Moore made a '5' and Gooch '6', then its not worth discussion.

20. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Can we please not have pages of discussion about the meaning of the ratings? Regardless of what we think of them - it's not like the people making the decisions at Newcastle are going to look at them.

21. hutch2

hutch2 New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    spoke to a couple toon fans and Moore did not come off hurt. he came of for a poor performance.

22. Templar

Templar New Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Brooklyn
    That's because we already regard him as another Titus Bramble. All we can do is hope that Roeder has the brains not to sign such an inconsistent defender. We already have enough of those. You have to remember that your comparing him to someone, his "main competition", whose contract runs out this year, and most likely will not be renewed. Being compared to washed up 32 year old defender doesn't really raise his value.

23. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is not another Bramble and you'd be a fool to think he is, what evidence do you have to come to this conclusion? 5 games? I guess "we" (Toon fans) are really full of themselves on their ability to see into the future. For a guy who won best defender of the year in the Belgium league and does nothing but improve at every stage he gets to, you really want to give up on him that easily? If he can get some more playing time I bet you'll will see him improve even more before the season ends...

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Frankly, I agree. I hope like hell Newcastle doesn't sign him so he can go someplace and play some decent football.

That's a crap team with no clue.

25. CescMate

CescMate New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    These ratings should be taken wih a pinch of salt. The Obsever fans panel placed Onyewu in the "flops of the day team" giving him 4 (Moore received a 5 for his effort) so it's all pretty subjective and the manager will probably have an entirely different view.