Galaxy Scrimage on Friday 3/30/07

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by CSUFstewie, Mar 28, 2007.

1. CSUFstewie

CSUFstewie Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Placentia, CA
    When I called my rep to ask about the Galaxy/Rangers friendly in May he also told me about a scrimage this Friday. The Galaxy are playing CAL Victory. The are a USL team from San Francisco. He said kickoff is at 2pm and they are playing on one of the university fields. Any body going to go?

2. thespian89

thespian89 Member

Aug 22, 2006
    No school that day, so I think I'll go.

3. Esco

Esco New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm going to take a late lunch.

"Oh man, it's 2pm already I haven't even taken lunch yet"

I hope the team is ready for what is going to be a very demanding year.

4. americaforlife

americaforlife New Member

May 24, 2006
    Lost Angels
    i have taken the day off and you shall see me with my galaxy misfit shirt
    [​IMG]

5. projectx

projectx New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Excellent, I work at a college so I don't even have to take a day off :D

6. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh, sweet! I didn't think they had any more of these coming up. After hearing about the last ones with the Dynamo, I really wanted to see one. I'm going to try. Where do I find out which field?

dave

7. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the weekly update - it's on University Field #1

8. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://dps.homedepotcenter.com/homedepot/doc/content/doc_198_11.pdf

On the HDC site, they have a parking lot map showing the fields, but they don't give the names/numbers of the fields. There are 2 to the east of the stadium, that are just north of the track and baseball diamonds. Are those the University fields?

Where do you park for these fields?
    it looks like there is a parking lot directly north of these 2 fields, but are these typically open?
    Sorry if these are dumb questions, but i've never been to one of these scrimmages, only the full games.....

9. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully Cadaver can stop by and answer your questions b/c he goes to a lot of the scrimmages and is all knowing...

10. howie1976

howie1976 Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Galaxy Nation
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No updates on today's scrimmage yet? Come on guys, the game should of been over about an hour ago!;)

11. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy won 1-0. But didn't look all that great.

it was still cool being right on the side line and seeing the team up close.

dave

12. howie1976

howie1976 Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Galaxy Nation
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the good news about the win!:) Sorry the game wasn't more exciting. Who played? Did our new centerback, Shavar Thomas play?

13. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made it for the first half only.

Here is what I saw:

Starters:

---------------------Findley-------------------
    ------ Quaranta ------------------- Cobi

--------Martino-----Sturgis------#6(Tudela?)

Jazic ------- Veris--------Blonde kid (Hardon?)----Albright

------------------- Cannon----------------------

We scored in like the 2nd minute. I believe it was Sturgis (or maybe Q) who tapped in the goal after some nice work by Findley to get clear on the far endline.

At that point it looked like this could be an easy day but the rest of the first half was a bit of a bore. We didn't create much and they really didn't have any chances at all save for one or two created by our own poor play in the back.

The few things I noticed:

- Veris looks very shakey with the ball at his feet and sometimes doesn't appear to think quickly enough with what he wants to do with the ball.

- The other central defender didn't have a good half. Gave the ball away easily a few times and always looked like the weakest link in the back.

- I like how vocal Cannon is in organizing the defense and midfield (defensively). I'm not sure if he does it more then Hartman used to but it was something I noticed today.

- Findley was surprisingly effective at winning balls in the air for a guy that doesn't look too big.

- I liked the way the #6 defensive midfielder was playing. A lot of mobility, a lot of linking play.

- Really we didn't look together very much in our attempts at attacking. If anything we looked kinda bored.

- The other team had a guy that was a good deal shorter then Cobi. I thought he was an 11 year old.

As I said, I had to leave at halftime. Not sure of subs made or how we played after half time.

Mike

14. howie1976

howie1976 Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Galaxy Nation
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks mbarloewen for the first half breakdown! repped! :)
    Anyone else have an analysis?

15. americaforlife

americaforlife New Member

May 24, 2006
    Lost Angels
    man the front line looked like s h i t,cobi was gift wrapping ball into the box,and people weren't shooting.more and more i think of the merlin stupidness,the more its going to bite us in the a s s

16. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Findley sound like he can contribute

17. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shavar Thomas did come in during the second half. He was more solid than either Veris or the other guy, whom Chris Albright kept calling Ty Harden.
    6 was Gardner, i thought he played well too. I liked martino in the first half, but didn't seem to be a factor in the second.
    Chris Albright seemed to switch up to forward for the second half and had several decent crosses, but nothing seemed particularly troubling for the other team.
    a number 33 came in for Chris at right back on the second half. Can't find who he is, but he is medium height[ dark short hair, white guy......]
    Tudela, number 19, came in at right midfield.
    Don't know who either were and after the half, when teams switched sides, they were too far away for me to see how they did individually. Being at field level is cool, but makes it hard to see the other side of the field.

Glinton came in as striker at about 60 minutes and was pretty ineffective.
    It seems to me like I am missing someone else but I can't remember any specifics right now.

I too was surprised at how well findley did getting his head on high balls since he doesn't look very big. but the man can jump and has pretty good timing.

Overall on the day, Tino Quaranta was the most dangerous attacker.
    While we didn't seem to really push the Victory at all, neither did they really trouble us. I think Cannon had no saves to make at all in the first and he came up big on one play in the second. but they rarely looked like they were going to score. They did have a few shots in the second though.

Now that I think about it, we had only a few shots ourselves in the whole game, and I dont' remember that their gk had to make any saves.... we got through on the left but the shot rolled wide right of goal. that was the closest we got. other than the goal though, we didn't look all that effective.

i had certainly hoped for better play against non-mls competition.

18. Burden

Burden Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LASN article

and

19. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Is Gardner still on the team or what?

20. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to ask the same thing

21. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not believe 6 was Gardner, I think either Harmse or Tudella took his number.

Gardner is gone.

22. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are too kind.

I am in Fredericksburg VA with limited e-mail access so I am sorry to say that while I could have informed, I am too late.

24. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my bad. i had posted that 6 was gardner, but i did so from the numbers i got from the galaxy website.
    but when i looked at the picture of gardner, the guy in the number 6 uniform was not him. so I don't know who it was.

25. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    decided to look up harmse and the picture I found looks like the guy that was playing in the 6 uniform.