British style narration is boring and insipid

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by divo2317, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Drogo

Drogo New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Sweden
    I like commentators who shut up once in a while, it's nice just watching the game without the commentator having to say every name when they get a pass.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a couple of problems with Brit announcers. First, they don't do analysis. At all. Since they can see the whole field, and they don't have their children interrupting them to referee a fight, it would be nice if they could do that. Sorta like Bruce and Waldo do so fantastically well when teamed together. Second, they're fine when they just identify the player with the ball (esp. in the stadia where the cameras are far away.) But they, too, have their topics for, um, going off topic. The Brit who did the German games was hilarious in his obsession with every player's age and sale price.

That's no better than being obsessed where an MLSer went to college, it's just different.

3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think you're referring to Gary Preston, who usually does the high profile Bundesliga matches on Saturdays. Not exactly the equal of Toby Charles but I do think he's quality behind the mic.
    The guy who usually does the Friday matches is Alan Fountain. He took over the duties of "Soccer Made In Germany" after Toby Charles left the show in 1983.
    There's also one guy named Trevor Harris. He shows up on the GolTV Bundesliga matches occasionally.

4. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for those names.

There is some other guy with first name "Wayne" (sorry, couldn't catch last name) who does Serie A matches, and he's very good.

5. nutella

nutella Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Plateau
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa! Old skool; nice Burn referance.

6. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Last week I was in San Jose and I drove by Spartan Stadium and...
    :p

7. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Today's Hamburg-Bayern match... that's Alan Fountain. ;)

8. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks again. Yes, I enjoy his quality work as he's deeply knowledgeable about Bundesliga. He called yesterday's Schalke 04 vs. Alemania Aachen match as well.

On the other hand, they had the Werder Bremen vs. Armenia Bielfield being called by Phil Schoen and Lindsey Dean in the Miami studio. I suppose I could live with a few of these matches called from studio, as long as there is a fair share of quality commentaries from locally based experts.

9. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lindsey Dean needs to stop trying to pronounce European names with what he imagines is a native accent. One of these days he's going to swallow his tongue and choke to death right on TV.

Also, while I disagree with the basic premise of this thread, I'd have to say that David Pleat had me hitting the mute button during ManU vs Chelsea today. God, what a bore that guy is.

10. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Brilliant - Many thanks for those names, couldnt remember any except for Gary for the life of me. Gary Preston been around German football for as long as i can remember.

11. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He his the uncompromising, unbelievably sarcastic and unforgiven commentator. Wish they had a radio show like Spoony,Ray Stubbs and co - on Bundesliga and Serie A.

Another on thesame line as Wayne is the colour commentator on the Roma/Sam game.

Brilliant work by all.

12. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: British game narrators are boring

How many Quid? Bet you are Ray, Phil, Lindsey or that new Kid at Goltv commentary setup.

13. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Gary Preston..

14. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Gary Preston...

15. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Threads merged.

16. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you elaborate a bit more? I'm interested in your advice on other aspects of life, and what should or should not be "things" for humanity in general.

Do you have a newsletter people can subscribe to, and if yes, do you accept credit card payments?

17. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    I enjoy Steve Banyard's commentary on the La Championnat Highlight Show. Lively, interesting, and cultured at the same time.