Some rock concert questions

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by BakedAlaskan, Aug 1, 2002.

1. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1)What was your first concert?
    2)Who was the best?(Not just your favorite band.Sometimes you are surprised how good someone is live)
    3)Who was the worst/most disappointing?
    4)What is the concert you most regret missing?

1)I was taken by a cousin to see KISS when I was six in '74 somewhere near Cincinnati but the first one I WENT to on my own was the Scorpions on their "Love At First Sting" tour in August '84 in Anchorage.

2)Judas Priest,Slayer and Metallica tie for second behind Sammy Hagar/Zebra in 85.Sammy had the place just jumpin' and Guy Gelso of Zebra put on the best drum solo I've seen.Maybe only Jerry Mercer from April Wine put on as good a solo.(Please note I've never seen Rush)

3)Testament in '92 maybe '93?They were good but the sound system in the arena was horrible.It sounded like all the monitors were covered with cardboard or something.I saw them in LA in '89 with Annihilator and they both were awesome.

4)Stevie Ray Vaughn about 6 months before his death.I could have gotten the night off but I just shrugged and said I'll catch him next time around.Dumbass.

PEACE

2. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA

1) Billy Joel, Notre Dame Athletic & Convocation Center, 1984.

2) That's a tough one. Stevie Ray Vaughan, with the Outlaws opening, was amazing (1988.) Metallica, Guns n Roses and Faith No More was quite an experience (1992.) The Black Sabbath Reunion tour was cool, since we had a suite. Dire Straits was a great concert too.

3) Ozzy was ill one time through and played about an hour before showing the 'Mama I'm Coming Home' video and leaving. Worse, the opening act was the incredibly awful Prong.

4) Haven't seen Santana yet. Or Springsteen. Would have liked to attend the Metallica Y2K countdown concert with Ted Nugent and Kid Rock.

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Julio Iglesias (my parents took me when I was 10).

2) Godsmack and Staind, I saw them in Scranton and they put on an AMAZING show infront of 1,000 people. They really surprised me.

3) Vanilla Ice/Boyz 2 Men and some other crap group. I went when I was 15 and I HATED it. It sucked bigtime.

4) Ozzfest just last month. I wish I could have gone to see System of a Down and Ozzy.

4. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    1)INXS, Guns N Roses, Smithereens, Iggy Pop, Ziggy Marley at Texas Stadium. Sometime in '88 or '89.
    2)...and you will know us by the trail of dead. Best show I've ever seen.
    3)Mercury Rev, last month at the Fillmore in San Francisco. Words can't describe it. And I like Mercury Rev.
    4)Jeff Buckley. Turned down the opportunity three times.

5. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    1. I think it was The Skids in 1977, the guitarist went on to form Big Country (Stuart Adamson).
    2. The best: Tourhout Festival in Belgium in 1983 with the following line-up: Simple Minds, Eurythmics, U2, Peter Gabriel and Van Morrison. Amazing concert everyone was at the top of their game, Gabriel singing Biko, Bono climbing up the scaffolding of the stage and Van the Man at his peak.
    3. Van der Graaf Generator, they just sucked that night.
    4. Pink Floyd with Roger Waters

6. Wade Bills

Wade Bills New Member

Oct 15, 2000
    West Jordan, UT
    1) Styx with Thin Lizzy back in the old Salt Palace in Salt Lake City back in 77

2) The ones that really stand out are Pink Floyd in 94 in Tempe, AZ and several Paul McCartney shows. (This year in Denver, and twice in 93 in Boulder and Las Vegas)

3) Nelly Furtado back in February. Just not my style of music. Wouldn't have ever selected her as someone to see in concert, but a family member gave me tickets to one of the medal ceremonies at the Salt Lake Olympics. Each night after the medal ceremony they had a concert and that was her night to perform. I only stayed for a few songs and then left. Only concert I have ever left early.

4) The Grateful dead played the Delta Center 3 nights in a row a few years ago and I didn't make it to any of them. A few months later Jerry Garcia passed away.
    :(

7. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. First: Motley Crue with Whitesnake opening in 1987. Girls, Girls, Girls Tour Worcester Centrum

2. Best, Top 10 in order by year. Sorry, they were all equally great in their own, so I can't pick just one

1989 maybe 1990, Living Colour Orpheum, Boston
    1990 Janes Addiction Orpheum, Boston
    1993 Shining Cloud's set at Camp Earth, a rave at Rocky Point in RI
    1994 Ohm, a rave in RI Best party ever!
    1994 Kimball Collins Axis, Boston
    1994 Soul Coughing, Middle East, Cambridge
    1994 Mo Tucker & Sterling Morrison Middle East, Cambridge
    1995 Bjork, Avalon, Boston
    1997 The Orb/Chemical Brothers Avalon, Boston This show was sick, went for like 6 hours between them
    2000 The Spooks Avalon, Boston

The ABSOLUTE worst:

1990 AC/DC Worcester I walked out of the show. Horrible

4. The two shows I regret missing the most.

I was living in Europe in 1993, and I missed out on seeing the Velvet Underground reunion. It will never happen again either now that Sterling is dead.

Nirvana in September or October of 1991, before Nevermind was released. I was a freshman in college and they announced an all ages show the day of the show at Axis. My friends made it but I didn't find out until too late. Again, won't happen because Kurt is dead, obviously.

8. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) No Doubt, Kansas city, tragic kingdom tour..1995. Weezer opened for them :eek:

2) geez..i dunno. Ill have to do a small list. i cant decide:

a) Green Day-warning tour, which i think was january 2001 or thereabouts. It was about 10 degrees and snowing outside. it was an indoor general admission concert. the entirety of the floor was like one big pit. the all around energy was amazing. its a pretty amazing experience to get all sweaty and excited and HOT after jumping around in very close proximity with a whole bunch of people, then wal out into freaking FREEZING weather, complete with snow.

b) Incubus, morning view tour 2001. i dunno what it was abnout this show, but i had one helluva time.

c) Cake, uptown theatre 2001. I was absolutley right up front and center. played every good song they had ever made. plus, i was formally introduced to beulah, now one of my favorite bands, because they opened.

except mr mastadon farm .

3) this one is actually dissapointing fro howI was in switzerland when oasis was doigna samll tour and decided to play at this place about 3 hours away from where i was staying at this international center. me and a group of other people got permission to take one of the centers' vans and go to the places.

we finally got there, got almost toally up front oasis played, and the nthe crowd got NUTS. i honestly had some idea of how those people at that who concert felt. oasis played 2 songs relaly really really well, then had to leave the satege because some *********************s wiere throwing ************ at them. they played 1 more song, then stopped in the middle of another one, and left for good.

we didnt get back to the place until about 3:00 am, and we had to wake up at 6:30 the next day.

ugh.

4) beck, abotu 2 years ago. i didnt even know he was here until i read about it the next day.

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First concert was Drivin' n' Cryin' - That was a free show. The first one I paid to go to was AC/DC and King's X.

It would be a toss up between 2nd night of Phish at Deer Creek in 1996, 2nd night of Phish in Philadelphia in 1996 or a double bill of Midnight Oil & Ziggy Marley in 1994 in Atlanta. Saw Faith No More & Helmet on a double bill once that was awesome. Radiohead on the OK Computer tour in Atlanta was great.

They Might Be Giants or Chris Isaak. I thought both would be pretty good and the music was okay, but TMBG was incredibly foul in concert (something I wasn't expecting) and Chris Isaak did nothing but make fun of southerners the whole concert. Another big disappointment was the KISS reunion tour when they did the makeup for the first time. Man, that just sucked.

Phish's New Year's bash for the year 2000 in the Florida Everglades on a Seminole Indian reservation. They played from 10 pm until sunrise. I've heard the show on tape and it was unreal!

Also was in New Zealand in 1994 and couldn't get a ticket to any of Radiohead's shows on the Pablo Honey tour :(

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    1) Ramones, in the Kresge Recital Center of Knox College, Galesburg, Illinois.

2) Butthole Surfers. Some Dive, Baton Rouge, LA.

3) Some acquaintances were in a band a few years back. It was awful. Never before has pretense and ineptitude combined so painfully on the same stage.

4) Similar to the Alaskan's... Bob Marley, his last tour before he died. I remember telling some Jamaicans from my college soccer team... "I'll catch him next time."

11. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Live Aid, Philadelphia, July 1985.

2. The obvious answer for me is U2's Joshua Tree tour, but as far as big surprisingly good shows, the two that stand out are The Cult in Boston Garden (Sonic Temple tour 1990) and Peter Gabriel's Secret World tour (Philadelphia, 1993 or thereabouts).

3. Spin Doctors? David Lee Roth? Don Henley? Heart? So many embarrassing and terrible shows that it's not worth trying to pick a worst.

4. Talking Heads. A reunion tour is always a possibility, but I would have preferred to see them in their heyday - Stop Making Sense tour.

12. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) My first concert was last year's Offest. My friends had an extra ticket and asked me to come along.

2) I saw Weezer last week at Jones Beach and they were F*in amazing. Having thousands of fans singling along to every single song is a great feeling.

3) My first concert. I had no clue who these bands were. Linkin Park and Papa Roach were good. Disturbed was pretty good too. But Slipknot then came on and it was my first time ever seeing them. I was never the same. I found out Marilyn Manson was headlining the damn show so I left halfway through Slipknot and went to church and bathed in Holy water.

4) I wanted to go see Offspring last winter. They were playing with MxPx. Also the Deftones a couple winters ago. My roomate went, said they were amazing.

13. RevFan17

RevFan17 New Member

Jul 6, 2001

Steve Miller Band Summer 1994

Good show...saw them twice after that.

2)Who was the best?(Not just your favorite band.Sometimes you are surprised how good someone is live)

Metallica / Korn / Kid Rock Summer 2000

Kid Rock was surprisingly good. Korn was ok, not that impressed. Metallica was incredible! Worth the ticket price alone!

Rusted Root Spring 2002

My third time seeing them....they put on an intense show. It helped that it was a small club.

Edwin McCain Spring 1998

My girlfriend wanted to go see him. I know, I know....

I got invited to the last Woodstock and decided at the last minute not to go. So many good bands there and I would have had some great stories to tell....

14. NorthGoalGang

NorthGoalGang Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Coventry, CT
    1) First "rock" concert: Journey/Bryan Adams, the Escape tour. Bryan Adams came on stage zipping up his fly. Journey was Journey. I went with my Dad. Needless to say, I've had better evenings.
    2) Wilco at Toad's Place 2 years ago. Just a good show from start to finish in a really cool place to see live music.
    3) When Red Red Meat opened for Urge Overkill. I hope that wherever these people are, when they pee it hurts. Motley Crue without Tommy Lee kind of sucked too.
    4) I wish I'd seen Velvet Undergroud during the reunion tour, or The Minutemen when D. Boon was alive.

15. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Was that the show that had Dangerous Toys and Bonham open for them? If so, I was there. I had the best seats I've ever had for an arena show. It was like sixth row.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: Re: Some rock concert questions

Did you drop by the Chicago Fire Team Forum during the offseason when we discussed the best and the worst bands in Chicago? Red Red Meat was widely agreed by many of the posters to be the worst band they'd seen. The only reason it wasn't on my list is that I came down with food poisoning the night I was supposed to go see them. Many told me I was lucky.

Still lamenting the death of d. boon myself, by the way. Though I did have a beer with Mike Watt once.

17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another one I regret not going to recently was Plate Six opening for Fugazi a few months ago. I'm friends with the guys from Plate Six, but was so tired I decided against going (I had to work early the next day.) They said Fugazi absolutely tore it up. Not only that, the 1,000 plus people there went absolutely nuts over my friend's band. I doubt that opportunity will come along again.

18. Nobby

Nobby New Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Kirkland, WA
    I saw a really dull progressive rock band called Ambrosia in the late seventies. Gratuitous drum and guitar solos, lighters waved during the sappy heartfelt ballad, joints sparked during the spacey number, I felt like I was in a swarm of lemmings.

2)Who was the best?
    The Smiths at the SDSU Open Air Theater in the mid eighties.

2.5) Who was the most surprising?
    Fishbone at a free concert at UCSB. Very fun.

See number one.

Missed seeing Echo & the Bunnymen when they were in Santa Barbara. Did see Ian McCullogh solo a few years later.

19. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    First - I'll exclude the Beach Boys in about 1967 because my dad took me. First one on my own was Lee Michaels-Paul Butterfield-Elvin Bishop in 1970. A buddy brought a joint, first time for that, too. Freshman in high school.

Best - easy, Jethro Tull "Thick as a Brick" tour. Those guys were at their peak and played about 2.5 hours

Worst and most disappointing - also easy, Deep Purple "Machine Head" tour. They were just collecting a paycheck.

Strawbs gets a mention, but they were just a warmup for Gentle Giant. Strawbs were awful.

The one that got away: King Crimson, "Starless and Bible Black" tour. I foolishly had something more important to do, I don't remember what.

20. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Winger at Six Flags Great Adventure. I dint exactly GO to see them, just sorta stumblem upon them when I was like 10. The First one I actually went to was Lollapalooza back in 93.

2)Who was the best?(Not just your favorite band.Sometimes you are surprised how good someone is live) The Best show Ive gotta say was the Hives/Mooney Suzuki at the Bowery. They arent the greatest band but they new how to get the blood pumping and make it a FUN show. A close second is Disturbed/Godsmack/STP at Roseland. You just CANT beat that lineup. Chicks were making out in the middle of the crowd waiting for the show, the pit never ceased, and all the bands gave it their all.

Theres so many, but usualy they are the opening act. Worst Ive ever seen was Fantomas when they opened for Tool. It was like watching a 5 year old kid go crazy with pots and pans. They actually got booed off Madison Square Garden.

None really, bands come here so often that if you miss one of their shows, they are usually back in like 2 months. Unless someone dies.

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another great show I forgot to mention was Johnny Cash right before he retired due to health reasons. Saw him at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival...it was so awesome seeing the "Man in Black."

One of the ones that I will forever regret no going to was Bill Monroe at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. I knew he was older than dirt, but just make the 200+ mile drive figuring, well he will play again soon. Well he didn't play again soon, and he died, so I never saw the "Father of Bluegrass."

One of the funnest/surprising shows I saw was Biohazard at the Masquerade in Atlanta in the early 90s. Another great one was Anthrax/Public Enemy/Primus in Birmingham, AL in '90 or '91.. The first time rap, metal & weird had toured together...this predated Lollapalooza by several years. Strangely enough, another one I knew I would enjoy, but was surprised how high it ranks on my all time list would be the Estonian Philharmonic Choir & Tallin Orchestra performing music by Arvo Part, they did his "Te Deum" which is for choir, orchestra and sound effects.

Needless to say, I've got pretty wide ranging tastes.

22. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA

The Charlie Daniels Band w/ .38 Speical at the Augusta Richmond County Civic Center. Stop laughing.

Either Lunasa at some church in Silver Spring, MD (2001) or REM/Love Tractor/Guadalcanal Diary at the Atlanta Civic Center New Years Eve (1985).

Cheap Trick at the Augusta Richmond County Civic Center (1984 I believe). They were too ************ed up to play and really, really sucked. They were opening up for REO Speedwagon, who my girlfriend at the time wanted to see, and REO really, really bite the big one. There was an honest to God 20 minute guitar solo. I ************ you not.

The Smiths (either of the two shows they played in DC).

23. NorthGoalGang

NorthGoalGang Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Coventry, CT
    My Dad is a huge country music fan, so when I was a kid, we trekked down to Opryland. My Dad scored tickets to the Grand Ol' Opry to see Bill Monroe. I was bored to tears, being young and stupid. Years later, I'm really kicking myself for not paying more attention.

I just remembered all these f'n tourists yelling for Rocky Top through his whole set. People get in the way of a good time.

24. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Bush in Pittsburgh. I was chillin' out with this
    h-h-hot chick I just met. We had gone to Pitt for the day, were getting bored and heard the concert advertised on the radio. His second album had just come out.
    Hard to choose. I have to go with a few. Cake @ The Ogden in Denver, LBDA @ The Fox in Boulder, Radiohead @ Red Rocks in Denver, Goldfinger @ The Ogden, Both Vans Warped Tours I've been to.
    Goldfinger @ the Ogden the 2nd time. I was expecting a great show. The first time they did like 5 encores. The second time they seemed tired and didn't do any encores.
    Sublime

25. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    1.) 1996... Hum played a free concert in champaign's West Side Park (sponsored by MTV, i think)
    2.) 2000-ish Flaming Lips... played at the Highdive in downtown Champaign... crazy-ass awesome show... highly recommend them
    3.) Smashing Pumpkins in Champaign at the University of Illinois' Assembly Hall (never, ever, ever see a show at this piece of crap... i saw them at the Canopy Club in Urbana, at Purdue and at their second to last show and each of these were amazing)
    4.) October 2000... Pearl Jam at Alpine Valley in East Troy Wisconsin... this became known as the Ice Bowl and now has legendary status... freezing temperatures and snow... i almost had tickets, but was screwed out of them by some prick in milwaukee

*urbana and champaign are twin cities, the U of I's quad is half in each city