Metros vs. Galaxy

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by metrosct, Mar 3, 2003.

1. metrosct

metrosct New Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Rowayton, CT
    I wonder what our line-up will be today. It sounds like Mario, Sheppard, and Garnero have all left training. Magee and Clark are with the U-20's (Gavin with the U-17's until August). It is rumorred that Guevara might be the next big name to join training. Anybody here of anyone else that has been invited into camp?

Howard
    Jolley-Pope-Regan
    Arena-Williams
    Ziadie-Lisi-Moore
    Moreno-Gio

While I realize that this is still a work in progress, the season starts in less than 6 weeks. Our midfield is very weak - I wouldn't be surprised to see Mathis start at A-Mid on April 12th (provided he is healthy).

2. metro1026

metro1026 New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Swamps of Jersey
    Lisi is hurt, he'll be out another two or three weeks, like Mathis...

3. dcdog12

dcdog12 New Member

Mar 25, 2002
    SC
    i'm sure that the metrostars will play some of there new guys....they have a french guy in and an australian in...

mathis is out.
    lisi is out...he is with the team, but only swimming and biking to keep fitness.
    richie williams has a bad quad. probably will get about 45 minutes.

i'll be at the game cause i'm FL with DC so i'll let you guys know.

4. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I don't expect a decent result out of this, I just hope no one else turns up injured.

Poor Bradley -- leaves one banged up outfit only to wind up with another!

5. JerzyRebel

JerzyRebel New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Land of Paulie Walnuts
    A Metros team in serious flux against a loaded Galaxy squad coming off an international tournament? It's going to be ugly, even if Sigi benches his starters.

I smell 5-1 or 6-1.

6. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    International Tournament? You're making it sound like they just came off the Libertadores. That tourney was just a spring training fora ALL teams involved including the Gals.

7. Partizan_fc

Partizan_fc New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    New York City
    A tournament composed of teams from USA and 2 European nations, 20th European Ranked league Norway and 18th European Ranked league Russia. I wouldnt have taken it seriously either.

8. JerzyRebel

JerzyRebel New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Land of Paulie Walnuts
    That tournament is still more preparation than scrimmages against the U-17 and the Fire.

9. dcdog12

dcdog12 New Member

Mar 25, 2002
    SC
    2-2 Final

LA got 2 PKs....grafer saved one of them.

first half: 3-5-2
    howard
    pope, regan, jolley
    ziadie, richie williams, rooney, meyrieu, torres
    moreno, giovani

jaime scored off a corner 1-0...1-0 at halftime.

second half:
    grafer
    australian guy, velez, arena, glowienka
    jeff moore, addo, ???, christian sanje
    derk droze, leblanc

LA tied it up 1-1...

droze scored a lucky goal..it was deflected and went in.

then a PK for LA...cienfuegos took it and grafer saved it...

89th minute..another PK for LA...cobi jones scored!

there you go.

10. Goalkeeps7

Goalkeeps7 Member

Apr 1, 1999
    2nd metro goal?

11. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Derk Droze, Metro trialist.

12. Metrophenomenal

Metrophenomenal New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Seoul+NJ
    didnt we give up a pk against chicago? i kno all the "its just preseason" stuff...but dont we seem to be giving up a hell of a lot of pks?

13. BlueLightning

BlueLightning New Member

Sep 7, 1999
    pesto of all cities
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Go ahead, press it.

You know you want to.

14. Gamblor

Gamblor New Member

May 17, 1999
    The game report is up:

http://www.metrostars.com/metronews/submissions/2003/march/03032003v2.htm

METROSTARS: Tim Howard (Paul Grafer 46); Eddie Pope (Kenny Arena 46), Tim Regan (Marco Velez 46), Steve Jolley (Tim Glowineka 46); Craig Ziadie (Morris Pagniello 46), Richie Williams (Jeff Moore 46), Jim Rooney (Joe Addo 46), Torres Mestre (Chris Sanje 46); Frederik Meyrieu (Derk Droze 46), Jaime Moreno (Albert Munoz 46), Savarese (Jacob LeBlanc).

LOS ANGELES: Dan Popik; Scot Thompson (Chris Albright 69), Isaias Bardales, Jr., Jose Retiz, Hamid Mehreioskouei,
    (Danny Califf 17), Jesus Ochoa, Mauricio Cienfugoes, Jason Moore, Pineda Chacon (Cobi Jones 79), Alejandro Moreno, (Alexi Lalas 72), Hercules Gomez (Gavin Glinton 79).

SCORING SUMMARY: MET-7’ Moreno (Regan, Mestre); LA-56’ H. Gomez; MET-74’ Droze (Moore); 90’-LA-PK C. Jones.

15. Gamblor

Gamblor New Member

May 17, 1999
    I believe Albert Munoz was a high school soccer sensation from the Miami area that ended up being drafted by Tampa Bay but never received much playing time.

16. Real Madrid

Real Madrid BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 23, 1999
    New York, NY
    Who is the Australian guy?

17. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like our mystery Australian is Morris Pagniello - or rather, Maurizio Pagniello, as he's called in the only link I can find for him on the entire internet. There he is, coming out for Oakleigh Cannons of the Eat Well Live Well Premier League (!), of the Victorian Soccer Federation (if I'm reading this right).
    Which begs the question - is a defender from the Australian lower divisions really anyone to get especially excited about? Probably not.

18. Real Madrid

Real Madrid BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 23, 1999
    New York, NY
    Thanks for the super quick reply Michael.

I'm not too excited about him either. Plus I don't think we need defense help as much as we need midfield help.

I can still say that I want Torres on the team. Like I've said before, he definately had the skills to play Spanish 1st division and played very well until he left a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly the only reason why he was sold to a French team was the Espanyol needed money. Remember that they had to sell their stadium about 7-8 years ago and go play on one owned by the city (the one used for Track and Field during the 92' Olympics, obviously with a track around it like the one Roma and Lazio play in). As far as I know they still have serious debt problems.

19. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So our reserves tied your starters?

Not bad...

Kidding...

20. Beowulf

Beowulf New Member

Dec 2, 1998
    Idiot. Our "starters" beat you 1:0.

Not bad...

Kidding...

21. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    So is Jim Rooney back with the Metros?

22. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    The Ledger today says he is trying out still.....

Would Bradley really try him as an A-mid...or would this be another D-mid to the mix?

23. Profi

Profi New Member

Feb 15, 2003
    I was at the game........

There are some really poor players out there...........especially for the Metros.

The Metros central defender....who played in between Pope and Jolley in the back three. Regan? I think that's his name......HE'S AWFUL!
    He's absolutely horrific on the ball. No skill whatsover..........He will struggle.

Also........the Metros had some foreign guy playing behind Moreno, and Saverese......he's got flair.....but he's sooooooo overweight........he's at least 190.......and can't be more than 5'9/5'10

LA.....played alot of subs....and the officiating was as bad as some of the metrostars players......

24. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    ... and that's why LA was awarded two PKs.

Starters? We don't need no stinkin' starters!

(With apologies to Alfonso Bedoya.)

25. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Back for more...

I like the part where the ball bounces of 'lexi and over another GAL and into the net. Must have been a Three Stooges moment to remember, but I guess you had to be there to savor the implications.