van Persie Watch

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GrimsbyGooner, Jul 21, 2012.

?

where will RvP end up?

1. Manchester City

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Manchester United

16 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. Juventus

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. other

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. voltman

voltman Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Maybe Ramsey was the direction van Persie didn't like Arsenal going.

charlie15 repped this.
  2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Apparently they came to blows.

3. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the Arsecast this morning Amy Lawrence, who had written in the Guardian that RvP made "outlandish demands" in his meeting w/Arsene and Gazidis, kind of intimated that he was asking for action regarding people "in all areas of the club". She made it sound like he was asking for specific secretaries and janitors to be fired or something. Who knows what the truth is.

That's why you can't pretend that you know or have a relationship with these players -- we have no idea what's really going on behind the scenes. It's only the proliferation of white noise on the intertubes, and 24 hour news/sports coverage in general, that makes us delude ourselves that it's otherwise.

4. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    You quote this guy a little tooooo much...

5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That material in the guardian et al is all self serving pap briefed in by Arsenal

Arsenal has been leaking shit to the media like crazy for the past 2 weeks

6. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [​IMG]

And that is why I would welcome Cesc back over Greedybayor, Na$ri, Physio's Table(RVP), or Ca$h£y.

WoodDraw and R9Kevinr9 repped this.
  7. Quentin

Quentin Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Hurricane, WV, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice low number you got there, rvp. I give him a season of doing well and then back to glimpses of brilliance.

8. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Not that it matters but his squad number is 20

9. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they give him someone else's shirt for the signing ceremony?

By the way, RVP's "inner child" is a greedy little ********er.

WoodDraw repped this.
  10. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I needed that on the day before our 2012-13 campaign. Quite possibly my favorite post on this board to date. Thank you.

maskito repped this.
  11. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm only halfway through the Arsecast. I'll hear the rest of it on the drive home, but Lawrence's statements about RvP's "outlandish demands" were pretty vague.

The Footballistically Arsenal podcast last week mentioned that RvP was apparently mooting his own candidates for Wenger's #2 and it was the hiring of Bould to that position that was almost immediately followed by RvP's statement to the fans. I'm not sure of the exact timing issues, but it sounds plausible and it would be an outlandish demand for a star player to have a say in the hiring of the #2.

12. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Don't take this as an insult, but this post just make me feel sad and empty. A great North London club has turned in to a global brand living of a TV audience. It's no longer about the supporters, the ties to the community and cheering on local heroes but about selling merchandise and broadcasts to people across the globe and attracting star players. I can't really understand why people in this age still expect loyalty of players who have no real personal ties to a club.

Yeah sure, RVP was an Arsenal fan as a kid, but why did he like really like them? They played pretty football, his idol Bergkamp was there, and they won things. As a kid from Rotterdam he had no real connection to London or the club itself, nor is he an academy product. Many similar kids in Rotterdam now idolize Barcelona and walk around in their shirt in the same way RVP did with Arsenal. In a few years that will change again to whatever team is top dog then.

The Arsenal RVP recently played for is not the European powerhouse team it was a decade ago. I can see why he wants to move on to an even richer brand. In the modern game players only care about their own personal circumstances: their wages, their career, their honours list and their impact on the game. After retirement foreign players will usually move back to their home country, what importance does being a club legend hold to them?

Imo the anger of the fans is unjustly aimed towards the players, the real issue simply is that Arsenal is no longer able to compete on the highest level due to whatever ( financial ) reasons and therefore can't hold on to truly world class players anymore. The reality is that you either lead or feed.

13. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny how you fall for such sentimental dribble. He's no different than the others you mentioned.

14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So? o_O

Sleepy Spaceman repped this.
  15. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. ZIAD

ZIAD Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Not sure if he's right. United just signed a massive deal with GM which will provide with plenty of income to pay top players top wages. That is a major weakness of ours. If we can sign similar deals, then why shouldn't we able to pay larger wages to our players.

Then maybe we can talk about our long-term plan to dominate Europe. For the time being our football model is based on annual targets.

17. DougG_ATL

DougG_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2005
    metro Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fcuk RVP and any other player that's not for the cause. I hope Wenger can find some worthy reinforcements with the £.

18. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure the RVP cash will fund future transfers, but nothing now. It makes sense too, beyond a few top teams, the market is drying up. We should be in a much stronger position going forward, but with RVP gone and Song leaving, we are almost certainly already out of the title race for this year.

19. hughmanatee

hughmanatee Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Montréal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    [​IMG]

20. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just shows what a fraud he is

21. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19301606

22. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I know it sucks to see RvP in an Arsenal kit like that as a youngster, since I own that exact one, and have many memories and allegiances. However, how many of you, growing up, have never had shirts of other teams, because you appreciated some of their players, or style.
    I was an Arsenal nut as a youngster, but I still has some AC Milan shirts.
    Especially since RvP is actually an athlete, and football is his job, he has even less reason to be so sentimental about clubs.

I'm not vindicating it...I'm just looking at the other side.

Val1 repped this.
  23. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    no just arsenal... not even for other sports I grew up playing actually... Arsenal is by and large enough depression for me. You think supporting Arsenal is bad, my friends support the god damn Leafs!

24. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try supporting Arsenal and the Chicago Cubs.

25. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i want keown on the team in some capacity. our players could use some of that fire.