Two bonus games, home/away vs Indy

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big Strong Patrick, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sat. Nov 2nd at Indy and then Friday the 8th at 3pm at Crew Stadium. I was asking about the upcoming scedule and found out about these today, some of the players don'teven know about these so the official times and locations need to confirmed. We are playing against Jurgen Sommers' team and someone might ask for further details tonight at the winery, I'd suggest asking the coaching staff.

Lucky Day repped this.
  2. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    is this a relegation playoff game?

3. pjguldan

pjguldan Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find this interesting, but wonder about Indy Eleven lineup as they only have a single player under contract.

4. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    playing the university of indianapolis...

or IU.

either would provide a tough opponent.

5. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It'll be a pretty close game.

6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Are they expecting to sign players before the games or just bring along some trialists?

7. YeahMorgan

YeahMorgan Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard within the last five minutes that these games are happening and are not happening. Also, I believe November 2nd in the weekend of the Conner Senn game. While the Crew won't be actually playing in the game, I've heard that a bunch of them were scheduled to attend it.

Anyone know anything?

8. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012

[​IMG]

eboe repped this.
  9. YeahMorgan

YeahMorgan Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hilariously unhelpful.

scornflakes repped this.
  10. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Have they changed the date and opponent for the Senn game? It's usually in May between OSU and the Crew except for a year OSU played the Dayton Dutch Lions.

11. pjguldan

pjguldan Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OSU will play a rotating game against Louisville or Akron as part of the Connor Senn. The Crew are officially out.

12. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    That's too bad. Was it driven by the CBA or the fact that our coach no longer has a son who played at OSU?

13. pjguldan

pjguldan Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a CBA thing. The new one reduced the amount of non-bonus games that could be played.

14. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    this is the first i've heard of this. indy11 are having a "mini-camp" right now with trialists. sommer hopes to make some signings in early november and some more in later november. http://indyeleven.com/sommer-october-roster-qanda/

15. Big Strong Patrick

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These games are going to be an acid-test for Indy trialists & some live competition for everyone involved, not necessarily even a full blown exhibition game.

16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I don't understand what the Crew get out of it. If they want to scrimmage vs different faces, having Indy in for a day is fine. Sending the Crew over to Indy seems unnecessary. I'd say wait til Indy has a full roster of players before playing them.

17. thumabr

thumabr Member

Jun 28, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Indy probably wants to drum up some excitement in the city, and having a MLS side come to town would certainly do that

18. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You serious? Building a relationship with a new team? Coached by Juergen Sommer?

19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    That's kind of the point. They aren't a team yet. Once they are up and running, we should scrimmage them as we used to do with Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. Nothing wrong with the Crew marketing in Indy which is midway between us and Chicago but Indy has 1 player at the moment.

20. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    How much are tickets?

21. Big Strong Patrick

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think of this game as being on the same level as a a reserve game or an unadvertised Sunday morning game against Louisville/Michigan State/Notre Dame there will be no admission charge.

22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Connor from Akron? IIRC, they were the opponent when he died, but other than those ties, the pessimist in me isn't liking this one.

Word from Crew Stadium is that our home leg vs Indy won't be on the 8th at 3pm due to CCS hosting high school soccer. Stay tuned, I suppose. Maybe Obetz? @eboe

23. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CBA has really cut back on some of the things I used to love about the Crew. Player access, etc. Players rarely hang out in the tent anymore, less autograph alleys, less events, and they make more money. Really kinda lose lose for the fans, honestly.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I blame the influx of European players, which has ironically helped the league at the same time as hurting it. The original group of MLS players were a bunch of guys who were happy to be playing "back home" and would do almost anything to help the league stay alive. IMO, the European guys have come in and don't see things the same way. Even a few years ago, many players who didn't have to sign would still come out and visit for a while and just be happy to interact or go the extra (easy) mile and make some kid's day. There'd be the Crewzers, several players, a member or two of the team staff, music on the speaker system. Now, if there's no autograph alley, how many people are in the tent? Ten?

It's really not so much for me as I don't remember the last time I got a player autograph, but yeah...do it for the kids and send them home with something to brag about the next day.

kgilbert78 repped this.