Timmay Too: The Chandler thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Apr 30, 2011.

1. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    False.

2. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann said that the door is not closed so yeah...

3. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Johnson and Chandler as starting fullbacks would be the best in the history of the USMNT.

4. k0d1akattack

k0d1akattack Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I never attempted to say they were world class, rather you would spend a long time searching for a current national team with a pair of worldclass fullbacks- Brazil is the only team I can think of.

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course not. If Germany rejects him again, he'll probably come crawling back.

6. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Maybe but not because of Chandler. It just Johnson + X would be the best in the history of USMNT.
    We never had a good left back, right backs of Chandler's level - plenty of.

7. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reject again? This isn't about Germany they aren't interested in him with the comments he made about being committed with the USA last year.

8. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I just extend it a little further than some folks, I guess. I remember feeling personally affronted that he'd pick club over country for an important match, before eventually deciding that his play on the field was more important than my wounded ego. All I'm saying is, I'm not slamming the door on the guy if Germany doesn't pan out and he wants to commit to us again. Steve C isn't getting any younger and his form is slipping in a hurry; Chandler is considerably better than anyone we have in reserve. Yeah, it'll suck knowing we were the consolation prize, but he'll still make the team better.

9. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    The original statement was that we would have one of the top tandems at RB /LB in international play. Anyhow I made the comment based on JK saying that Fabian was considered the best LB in the BL during the last part of the season. Add Chandlers play and it's a reason opinion. To say they are world class is a waste of time considering how very few agree on what world class is. So, if JK says Fabian is one of the top BL LB's and most agree Chandler is one of the top RB's in the BL then they would be a damn good tandem

RalleeMonkey, xbhaskarx and dban repped this.
  10. kturk15

kturk15 New Member

Jan 3, 2012
    USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also feel that having Johnson and Chandler (though I haven't seen much of him) would be a very, very good combo. While a lot of countries have one of either wing backs as a high level international player, not many have two quite at the caliber of both those guys.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what my evil twin would do.

1. Call TC in for the last qualie in this round.
    2. Sub him on in the 88th minute.
    3. Sub him off in the 89th minute.
    4. Ask him as he walks by, "So, how did you like your international career? Because it's over now, you waffling bitch." Then I'd laugh the mwahahah laugh.

7211 and dban repped this.
  12. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    At which point Chandlers actual twin jumps out and bitch slaps you and wags the german hand over his face.

13. Cornballer

Cornballer Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grant Wahl article on WCQ includes a few quotes from Klinsmann:

7211, CTS26, SPA2TACU5 and 5 others repped this.
  14. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a SBI Live Q&A today:
    Obviously just "rumblings"...but I figured why not stir the pot :p

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It is so weird to see all the posts talking about "caliber" of a back like Chandler.

I've seen so many players in WC's with "caliber" who just don't deliver.

There is a reason for it.

Figure it out or keep your hanky dry because you'll need it eventually.

16. MadRHatter

MadRHatter Member

May 6, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has delivered thus far and he has shown no signs on the field that he won't deliver.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It has already been said that there is no hurry to replace Dolo, even when Chandler was on the team so it is not really clear how one puts Chandler above Dolo, Captain of Hannover, who shut down every guy he played against in the WC. That's WC, not some BL trash that Chandler plays against every week.

Now let's look at Johnson. Johnson is a great assist man but his defence doesn't compare with Boca's when Boca was left back. We all expect he will do on the defensive end with some improvement and I'm his biggest supporter but it is hard to see how he rates above Boca who was captain of the WC team. It just isn't a very easy comparison, especially since Boca had some goals for us.

So how exactly do this duo rate above Dolo and Boca with such absolute certainty?

I'm nonplussed.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dolo was a soldier for us, but he is aged and on the decline. Lichaj, Johnson, and Chandler are all playing at a higher lever than he is right now.

ckl26 and 7211 repped this.
  19. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

20. MadRHatter

MadRHatter Member

May 6, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any combination of Lichaj, Chandler, Johnson would be supreme.

21. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to this next month. A lot could change for the US picture for 2014 if chandler jumps on with us.

22. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008

Interesting suggestion. I have to ask, how many others believe this? Many people on this site have considered Cherundolo's and Bocanegra's ages, in 2014, when constantly looking for replacements. I have been doing the same.

However, I don't think many people have been saying that others have already surpassed these guys. We've seen multiple guys with the potential and the opportunity, but has anyone passed either of these guys yet?

23. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in terms of mental edge and defensive positioning....boca and dolo are above all 3.

in terms of physical ability and pace...the other 3 win.

by 2014 though if chandler, lichaj and fabian continue to play a lot for club teams at a high level and learn more and more....well i think the gap will be significantly closed in the mental aspect of the game.

more games played for those three the closer the gap is closed.

24. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008

I agree with this statement, completely. That's exactly what I'm suggesting. Additional playing time over the next few years for the young guys, combined with Cherundolo and Bocanegra being 2 years older, makes me think (or maybe hope) that we'll have new starters by then. However, I completely disagree that the young guys are ready to completely take the starting spots away from these 2, now.

25. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I concur. Gold Cup would be a great tournament to test out chandler, lichaj and ream and such as we did in the previous one. we really should let that happen again.

no reason not to.

COMtnGuy and BimmerBenz95 repped this.